West is Best!!

Florida Snowman

Is that the trail that goes by Matchi-Manitou Iceman?

That is the trail for sure but they must not be open this year because it is routed a little further north of there and not right through.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Catching up guys but no pics. Did mt Laurier to clova yesterday . We lucked out big time. Every trail was fresh groomed. Even from pensive the groomer had left early in the morning all the way to clova. Stayed at Tarmac great owners and food. Groomers had gone both ways at night one to parent,one to balbuzzard . Little info groomer is still broke on trail but Dominic (school house) has bought lac fallions groomer now and that one is doing the trails up to balbuzzard and to pensive. Today 83 to parent then Gouin for lunch then down to Kanawata . All good.

Day 4: Woke up to 5" new powder and snowed all day. Left Hotel Alpin at 8:00am. Took 83 east and 10 miles out I blew a right and buried my YamaPig in 4 feet of soft powder. Lucky for us, 3 guys showed up right behind that had slept in the room right next door to us! Sorry no pics of that since Scorpionbowl & NH-Moose were not present!! Continued to Preissac and got local trail which took us to the 307. Took 307 north to Saint-Dominique-du-Rosaire and got gas again. I have never taken 307. Wow! What a trail. Busting 6" or more of pow-pow all the way! Then got on the power line trail straight nord. Had lots of fun blowing thru the drifts and breaking trail most of the way. Pulled in to Hotel Matagami at 3:00pm. 245 miles. Another amazing day!

Edited by Florida Snowman

You know thats why we keep the camera accessible in a chest pocket......snap photo "then" check condition of rider and sled - LOL

Been on both sides of the lens, all part of the fun!

Happy to hear of the conditions out there and your progress!

You didn't need to take a pic Tom, I'm sure it was something like this...

IMG_1533.JPG

I thought of you and Marty when going by this turn on our way to Chibougamau last Sunday...but look at the bright side, you'll be coming from the other direction on this trip, so you won't blow this one, lol!!!

Looks like a great trip so far, thanks for the updates...

Day 5: Matagami to Lac Faillon

Left Matagami at 8:00am with 3-4" of fresh powder overnight. Took the 396 east down 90 miles to Lebel-sur-Quevillon and filled up. We busted drifts and broke trail the whole way down. Picked up the 93 down to Senneterre and got the gas. Also went to the Ski-Doo dealer in town to get oil for the E-Tec. Took the connector trail down to 83 west. 83 was sweet and fresh groomed until we passed the groomer about 16 miles before the western spur of the local trail to Lac Faillon. After the groomer it was 2-3' mogul sledding! BS! Got to Faillon at 3:00pm. Thought about banging it out and getting to Clova for the night but was concerned that the cursed section of trail between Balbuzzard and Clova still hadn't been groomed. Decided to stay at Faillon. 236 miles for the day. Tomorrow we head to Kanawata.

P.S. Glad we decided to stay at Faillon. 4 guys just came from Clova & said the trail sucks!! I'm thinking about reworking tomorrow but there isn't a lot of options. Guess Auberge Clova hasn't sent a groomer out west to Faillon as was rumored on QR earlier.

Until tomorrow night.....................

Snowman

Edited by Florida Snowman

Day 5: Matagami to Lac Faillon

Left Matagami at 8:00am with 3-4" of fresh powder overnight. Took the 396 east down 90 miles to Lebel-sur-Quevillon and filled up. We busted drifts and broke trail the whole way down. Picked up the 93 down to Senneterre and got the gas. Also went to the Ski-Doo dealer in town to get oil for the E-Tec. Took the connector trail down to 83 west. 83 was sweet and fresh groomed until we passed the groomer about 16 miles before the western spur of the local trail to Lac Faillon. After the groomer it was 2-3' mogul sledding! BS! Got to Faillon at 3:00pm. Thought about banging it out and getting to Clova for the night but was concerned that the cursed section of trail between Balbuzzard and Clova still hadn't been groomed. Decided to stay at Faillon. 236 miles for the day. Tomorrow we head to Kanawata.

P.S. Glad we decided to stay at Faillon. 4 guys just came from Clova & said the trail sucks!! I'm thinking about reworking tomorrow but there isn't a lot of options. Guess Auberge Clova hasn't sent a groomer out west to Faillon as was rumored on QR earlier.

Until tomorrow night.....................

Snowman

still sounds like a fine day was on tap love drift hitting

Day 6: "Won the Lottery"!!

Left Lac Faillon at 8:00am and dropped down the eastern spur of the local trail to 83 East. From that point to Balbuzzard, 83 was beat with 1-2' moguls. About 3 miles east of Balbuzzard we hit the lottery! We cut first tracks on a ribbon of white asphalt all the way to Clova!!!!! Had a chat with Dominic about that & he pointed to the man at the bench eating breakfast and introduced him as the groomer who had groomed that section of trail Thursday night. I shook the groomers hand and bowed down to him in appreciation! I can't remember ever going thru that stretch when it wasn't beat to hell. Today it was simply amazing. Does that answer your question Jim???? Nice!!! Spoke to Dominic also about the idiots with the 4 sleds on the tracks. He said that 1 sled ended up 1500 feet away from where it was parked! Took gas in Clova & continued the 83 east to Parent. Got gas then ate lunch at Motel Central. Continued on 83 east which was in great shape. We hardly passed any sleds today. Where is everybody? Took the 345 south. This is by far one of the top 3 sections of trails on my top ten list. Today it was beautiful to say the least. Honking all the way to Kanawata. Sweet! Got to Kanawata at 3:30 and the sun was out and temps right at freezing point so decided to get in some bonus miles. 325 miles for the day.

Tomorrow sadly is our last day of riding. Heading back to Shawinigan via Sacacomie for lunch! Not sure if we will be back to the hotel before you pull out Jim. If we don't see you have a safe trip and enjoy!

Tom

Day 6: "Won the Lottery"!! Left Lac Faillon at 8:00am and dropped down the eastern spur of the local trail to 83 East. From that point to Balbuzzard, 83 was beat with 1-2' moguls. About 3 miles east of Balbuzzard we hit the lottery! We cut first tracks on a ribbon of white asphalt all the way to Clova!!!!! Had a chat with Dominic about that & he pointed to the man at the bench eating breakfast and introduced him as the groomer who had groomed that section of trail Thursday night. I shook the groomers hand and bowed down to him in appreciation! I can't remember ever going thru that stretch when it wasn't beat to hell. Today it was simply amazing. Does that answer your question Jim???? Nice!!! Spoke to Dominic also about the idiots with the 4 sleds on the tracks. He said that 1 sled ended up 1500 feet away from where it was parked! Took gas in Clova & continued the 83 east to Parent. Got gas then ate lunch at Motel Central. Continued on 83 east which was in great shape. We hardly passed any sleds today. Where is everybody? Took the 345 south. This is by far one of the top 3 sections of trails on my top ten list. Today it was beautiful to say the least. Honking all the way to Kanawata. Sweet! Got to Kanawata at 3:30 and the sun was out and temps right at freezing point so decided to get in some bonus miles. 325 miles for the day. Tomorrow sadly is our last day of riding. Heading back to Shawinigan via Sacacomie for lunch! Not sure if we will be back to the hotel before you pull out Jim. If we don't see you have a safe trip and enjoy! Tom

Sounds like you had a great trip, we will be on the 23 West so maybe we'll pass ya on our way out. Watch out for Eric coming at ya like a bullett!

Day 6: "Won the Lottery"!!

Left Lac Faillon at 8:00am and dropped down the eastern spur of the local trail to 83 East. From that point to Balbuzzard, 83 was beat with 1-2' moguls. About 3 miles east of Balbuzzard we hit the lottery! We cut first tracks on a ribbon of white asphalt all the way to Clova!!!!! Had a chat with Dominic about that & he pointed to the man at the bench eating breakfast and introduced him as the groomer who had groomed that section of trail Thursday night. I shook the groomers hand and bowed down to him in appreciation! I can't remember ever going thru that stretch when it wasn't beat to hell. Today it was simply amazing. Does that answer your question Jim???? Nice!!! Spoke to Dominic also about the idiots with the 4 sleds on the tracks. He said that 1 sled ended up 1500 feet away from where it was parked! Took gas in Clova & continued the 83 east to Parent. Got gas then ate lunch at Motel Central. Continued on 83 east which was in great shape. We hardly passed any sleds today. Where is everybody? Took the 345 south. This is by far one of the top 3 sections of trails on my top ten list. Today it was beautiful to say the least. Honking all the way to Kanawata. Sweet! Got to Kanawata at 3:30 and the sun was out and temps right at freezing point so decided to get in some bonus miles. 325 miles for the day.

Tomorrow sadly is our last day of riding. Heading back to Shawinigan via Sacacomie for lunch! Not sure if we will be back to the hotel before you pull out Jim. If we don't see you have a safe trip and enjoy!

Tom

Please keep the 369 off the radar tell em no gas this year at Casey or that it gets too much traffic up from SMDS or something. LOL :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hey am I the only one or does anyone else think it would be great to make some passes on the old airstrip outside of Casey?

I am leaving in 30 minutes for the drive up to Nominingue where I'll be meeting a few others and off we go out west, Trout Lake, Pourvoirie Lac a la Truite is our first sleep over.

Maybe we will see you out there, we will be at Trout lake Monday night, Leaving now

You guys heading to the west end....I am watching another system roll in....yahoo!! More snow for you!!!

Light snow will continue today across much of the area, as low pressure exits from eastern Upper Michigan to eastern Ontario and Quebec. The best chance for accumulating snow will be near Lake Superior. The chance of snow will slowly diminish tonight into Sunday as high pressure slides in behind the exiting low pressure system.

The boys and I are in Trout Lake, 266 miles left at 5 am by truck from Pincourt to Nominigue then sled from 8am to 6 pm , from the Classic to le Domaine very rough riding not groomed twisty and to add to it sleet sticking to our visors very challenging need two hands on the bars and a third to wipe visor every 10 seconds.

Noel is making chicken'n ribs tonight Mmmm

Toodles

JG