Rain, rain, go away

arubenstein

Any news on how the province, generally, is doing with all the rain?

I was supposed to be driving up tomorow (Monday, 1/13) for a 7 day trip. Any thoughts on how the different areas are doing?

I called Relay 22, Maniwaki, La Tuque, Shawinigan, St-Raymond, and River-du-Loup yesterday, and all said it was raining.

Any news at all?

Does anyone have information on the trail conditions around Lanaudiere? I am planning a trip up there in a few weeks and was just wondering myself how the trails held up? I checked the St. Donat trail site and it lists the trails around there as being closed!!! Can that just be to groom them up....I can't recall them closing trails unless they are down to the dirt? Hope not.....any trail updates would be appreciated.

we rode from Bernieres (south shore quebec city) back to Thetford Mines yesterday morning, they had lots of snow but trails were starting to get thin in some corners, and the rain hit in the afternoon. It poured all the way back to Vermont. Killed the snow here in NEK, brown. But- now it's snowing and ground is "looking" white. It's gonna take a lot of snow in Vt to get trails back. Stupid Jet Stream!

Does anyone have information on the trail conditions around Lanaudiere? I am planning a trip up there in a few weeks and was just wondering myself how the trails held up? I checked the St. Donat trail site and it lists the trails around there as being closed!!! Can that just be to groom them up....I can't recall them closing trails unless they are down to the dirt? Hope not.....any trail updates would be appreciated.

In a couple weeks you should be good, providing they do not get anymore of this warm rain. My problem is we are heading up to the same area this Wednesday. If I do not see any updates on here I will call Dennis at Le Cabanon to find out how they faired.

I may have to change plans it sounds like the Saguenay area has had a lot less rain.

ALOT more rain here in Shawinigan then last Week. Also last week it started as snow then turned to rain. This was a little freezing rain then all out Rain. 38F here now i got almost 1" of Rain here at my house.

Trails are most likely listed as closed so the geniuses do not go out and tear up the Base which is soft now from the rain. Too soft to groom anything for sure. I am fairly sure there was much less rain up north from here but it did rain some pretty much all over.

Saguenay is probably the best bet. Here will need more snow to bounce back for sure.

Good news is I have not seen any Sleds or Quads pass by on the trails so lets hope people are smart enough to let things freeze back before it gets torn to nothing.

St Donat seems like the only conditions updated. I believe you will see quite a few others change to closed by later today or Tommorow when they update. Took a beating here.

The web cam in st donat shows a decent amount of snow on sidewalk. Maybe they are only closing trails to allow them to firm up and hopefully get more snow. Do odds favor more snow in coming weeks up there? Still seems early to throw in the towel on riding.

Its only Jan 12 I think its safe to say there will be more Snow. i did not say we need to "throw in the Towel" but things will need to improve to be rideable. There's tons of snow for sure, even here still, but on the trail where it was groomed flat and frozen rock hard from the past cold we have had, and no new signifigant snow for a while now, and with the rain it's gonna freeze solid once the cold gets back and be a sheet of Ice. Its no where near over. Just on hold at least near here. i am sure other areas where it rained less will be just fine.

In a couple weeks you should be good, providing they do not get anymore of this warm rain. My problem is we are heading up to the same area this Wednesday. If I do not see any updates on here I will call Dennis at Le Cabanon to find out how they faired.

I may have to change plans it sounds like the Saguenay area has had a lot less rain.

Dave, talked to someone on the ground tonight who rents a house every year right in St. Zenon. He said they went out today a little late and the trails were surprisingly good. The groomers were out early trying to do something with the trails before they froze too hard. He said main problem is anywhere where they plowed it is nothing but ice. He also added there is no major snow predicted in the near future. I am going to call him back in a couple days, hope this helps. We are heading up somewhere next Sunday the plan for now is RDL for a Gaspe tour but we will go to the snow

Lanaudiere needs a big dumper! Or at least 4-6inches. I am hopefull as we are heading up in two weeks. Have a place booked that we wont get a refund on if we don't go. That is the dilemma with having to book ahead as opposed to tracking weather and booking where there is snow. I have found that if you wait too long, may end up with no options when it does snow. A real roll of the diced sometimes.

Lanaudiere needs a big dumper! Or at least 4-6inches. I am hopefull as we are heading up in two weeks. Have a place booked that we wont get a refund on if we don't go. That is the dilemma with having to book ahead as opposed to tracking weather and booking where there is snow. I have found that if you wait too long, may end up with no options when it does snow. A real roll of the diced sometimes.

Thats why we never book ahead. We are headed up next weekend for a week bag trip, no idea where yet will deceide the day before we leave. We usually call ahead in the morning or at lunch for the nights stay. Have never been shut out. The only time we may plan ahead if its a Fri or Sat night.

Hi everybody, sorry to not being a big help about the trails conditions, I'm just coming back from a family trip outside the country and my last ride was on the 28 dec....

We had a rainy day today with temps around 3C, it won't melt the trail base for sure and even at home in the very south of Lanaudiere there still a good snow cover but it will be very icy after this thaw for sure, I too expect a couple rivers to need few cold days to be safe again...

We now need cold asap... forecast call for light cold in the next days,below zero at least with few inches of light snow. Seems we need to wait the weekend to get something strong in the -15C range... With some cold and a couple inches of fluffy lube stuff it would give nice hardpack higways...

hoping for the best...

Alain

Edited by towing

Encouraging, Alain! Krissy and I are headed to Montagne Coupee for a week, arriving on Saturday. Am encouraged that you noted that snow in lower Lenaudiere is still good cover. By this weekend temps will be favorable and we should get a shot or two of snow. Perhaps we will run into you on the trails.

timbo

Timbo, Have fun at Mountain Coupee! My wife and I stayed there many times over the years...but in recent years found a place in St Donat to stay at. Kinda miss the Montagne Coupee though. Very nice staff and rooms. Main reason we decided to stay in a different place was to experience riding more of the trails up north. Have fun. I am from central Pennsylvania as well. Danville. I see you are from central Pa?