Joliette/St-Michel des Saints/Repos Outfitter photo ride-report 25 january 2014

towing

It seems we had missing sleddind in the beginning of the year because we have now ambitious ride projects. After our 300+ miles ride from the past week to Mattawin , the objective of this ride of Saturday was this time to go to lunching to Lac du Repos Outfitter north of Taureau dam. Here is the final track of our day ride

carte_zps89dc1787.jpg

It‘s under a very gray sky with a little snow, -11C we have begun our ride from home accompanied by our friend Steph . Note that if you go to St-Thomas de Joliette in a field not far from the village, there is a snow bridge collapsed. It pass very well, but not at high speed. There are tags in X to mark the danger and we added orange ribbons to make the warning more obvious ...

DSC00975_zps1df06d3b.jpg

Otherwise, the conditions are excellent , even better than last week. In fact, other than an icy corner from time to time, they are perfect winter conditions . Here in St-Felix de Valois area

DSC00979_zps648e995e.jpg

Visibility was still good in the fields to St-Gabriel de Brandon.

DSC00981_zps5decb46b.jpg

The more we went up to the north and the more of new snow to the ground and in the air we got. Here between St-Gabriel and St-Damien de Brandon

DSC00990_zpsca43afc6.jpg

Here near the small shack at the #23 /​​# 63 junction

DSC00992_zps802309ad.jpg

The trails were very snowy up to the Cabanon on #23 trail

DSC00994_zps7e9d38dd.jpg

We continued northward and it snowed a lot less and the new snow was groomed giving a lot easier drive . We chose to go through the Taureau Lake dam

DSC01011_zpsc4fca431.jpg

DSC01016_zps6a8f2aa6.jpg

We went down to the base of the dam for a short break

DSC01018_zpsfdc1a7b8.jpg

DSC01023_zps031612b9.jpg

The reservoir level is already much down. When it is full , the water level goes up the base of trees

DSC01030_zpscb59cead.jpg

The famous "cat walk"...

DSC01029_zpsf67f7b16.jpg

A classic...

DSC01036_zps4c51d151.jpg

We took the #360 northeast which was insane good, and then #345 towards the Lac Repos was as flawless

DSC01049_zpsf482bc32.jpg

We took a quick break on the bridge near the small Gilardo dam

DSC01070_zps251d6366.jpg

DSC01062_zpsd9589eff.jpg

And we continued on the #345 which was at its best

DSC01076_zpsbf142489.jpg

DSC01074_zpsc782346b.jpg

DSC01086_zps640e077a.jpg

Up to Lac Repos outfitter where we stopped to refuel and lunch at 12:45 with 160 miles on the dreammeter

DSC01101_zpsf1ea0055.jpg

The restaurant was at full capacity and therefore we expected that the service would be quite long but we were pleasantly surprised how fast it goes, so much than less an hour after our arrival we were ready to leave with fuel-up done. A rare pic of Krikri and me together ... thank you Steph !

DSC01110_zpsf1c37b2c.jpg

We chose to go back south via #33 trail which was top ...

DSC01117_zpsb93b097e.jpg

DSC01118_zps52f420c0.jpg

Lake section that is not grommed was also very good

DSC01123_zpsa089980b.jpg

Just the small island was bumby as usual but it’s only a few hundred meters

DSC01122_zpsfee0cb70.jpg

And on the other side of the lake the #33 up to the edge of Taureau lake was just perfect , very fast

DSC01136_zpsc178c6ab.jpg
DSC01141_zps5ddac12a.jpg
DSC01142_zpsb87ffb1e.jpg

We then continued on the #33 around the lake to the Auberge du Lac Taureau

DSC01148_zps43b26b1a.jpg

This section had suffered of traffic and was a bit bumpy but we even did it at a good pace

DSC01154_zpsd231e2f0.jpg

Here on the edge of the reservoir where you can see the ice level that went down

DSC01164_zps6b847ca6.jpg

One of the buildings of Auberge du Lac Taureau ...

DSC01168_zps5fb66c20.jpg

We first intend to take the shortcut on the reservoir to get us directly to the village of St-Michel des Saints ( this shortcut is not an official trail ) but with the wind visibility was really bad. Already when the weather is nice it's not easy to see the unevenness of the ice, in those conditions the risk was too high for us and we chose to continue on the #33 trail even if it was a bit bumpy

DSC01177_zps3bbd27e0.jpg

Very good decision because as soon we begin the trail we had a pleasant surprise

DSC01186_zps3f904ab1.jpg

DSC01190_zps02f42c0e.jpg

And we got perfect trail to go to St-Michel

DSC01201_zpsb66d7b4f.jpg

DSC01209_zps1adaeb7f.jpg

DSC01220_zps33188807.jpg

From St- Michel , we then decided to take the #343 trail which is taken from the village entrance in south-east direction

DSC01231_zpsa4d93c7b.jpg

This is a rather narrow and twisty trail path... the #63 a bit more east is a much better option for this path but to make different it does the job ..

DSC01240_zps02781531.jpg

We refueled and took a break at Rondeau store

DSC01248_zps4933a108.jpg

We then joined the #63trail and went through St-Zenon village and then La Glaciere place and stopped for supper at Réal Massé on #23 trail. Curiously, it was still snowing in this sector as in the morning when we passed

DSC01258_zps7ddf4800.jpg

Many groomers were in operations and we got some great sections on the way back

DSC01262_zpsd5708180.jpg

We finally got back home a little before 9:00 p.m. with 330 miles on the dreammeter which is pretty respectable but Steph who had left from his home in the l’Assomption area got an over 375 miles day ride

In summary it’s beautiful everywhere, there’s alot snow and conditions are at their bests. It is now or never to enjoy : winter top conditions !

Bye!

Alain

That is some ride for a two up from Jolliette to Repos for lunch!!! Then back home, what's next Alain? Are you going to try for Kanawata for lunch. I bet you can do it.

Thanks for your report nice to see conditions are shaping up in the south.

Koodos Alain

Nice pics and report Alain,we may only get to ride in your playground a short time each year but with your post's it's almost like being there

Nice Report Towing, I took the 23 east (normal trail) earlier this year and it dead ended 30 miles in. I see a dotted line above 23 on your map. Is that the correct route for 23 this tear? I did not see that intersection when I was there?

Nice Report Towing, I took the 23 east (normal trail) earlier this year and it dead ended 30 miles in. I see a dotted line above 23 on your map. Is that the correct route for 23 this tear? I did not see that intersection when I was there?

I believe the dotted line shows the old trail 23 the solid is this year.

Great report as always Alain!

Good to hear the trails are in such good shape. andyman and I are heading out Thursday going that way. We will be joined by the infamous Timbo and Thad by Saturday. A trans Quebec tour!!

You are in the best timeframe for it I think... have fun !!!

Very nice as usual.

Thanks for taking us along.

We are headed that way next weekend

We got more snow in the sunday/ monday night.. 4 to 10 inches depending where in the area. Look very nice for this next weekend, you won't regret for sure! Have fun and ride carefully!

That is some ride for a two up from Jolliette to Repos for lunch!!! Then back home, what's next Alain? Are you going to try for Kanawata for lunch. I bet you can do it.

Thanks for your report nice to see conditions are shaping up in the south.

Koodos Alain

Is it a challenge ?....... :spiteful: ..... loll

The best in those last rides is that we were having even as fun in the last hour than the beginning of the rides, not tired at all. I now wonder which stock sled would give us a similar comfort for this kind of ride... not sure it exist ... :pardon:

The trail report & photos are always greatly appreciated, but the rare shot of the happy couple together is AWESOME!

Thank you very much Playhard :drinks:

Nice pics and report Alain,we may only get to ride in your playground a short time each year but with your post's it's almost like being there

Always happy to share our rides :friends:

I believe the dotted line shows the old trail 23 the solid is this year.

In fact, I think the dead end you tried was the doted one and iceman is right it's the old path. The actuel #23 right path leading to Mauricie should be take a few miles south from the Cabanon and not north of it on the trail leading to the dam like past years. They had need to modify the path late in the fall just before the season began because of wood cutting... When I did my first ride on the 30 november, they had still few big culvert to install to reroute the trail and connect with Mauricie path. It had been completed in the first weeks of december.

So the right junction is the one just few miles south from Cabanon.

Great ride & report Alain! I went thru 23 on Sunday & the trails were near perfect. That's a FULL day for a two-up! Do you let Krikri do some of the driving so you can nap??

Best,

Tom

Thanks Snowman ! I keep on driving but sometimes I have to shake her a bit to keep her awake... Too comfy on the venture :lazy:

Alain

As always a great, and welcomed report.

Merci

timbo

:drinks: Timbo! have fun on your trans Quebec tour :good:

Alain