Right of way lost Lac Taureau Matawin Dam!

Andyman

hi andy !!!

just read the comments on the right side...

they did nt tell why they were closing access to sleds and atv !!!

should have an answer from hydro quebec soon according to comments !!!

jean-guy

Seemed it was coming... with the bridge built a few years ago down the river for us to cross the river.

I was thinking that as well.

With only the one crossing there, (if the Barrage stays closed) that other trail will get used up bad.

All the day trippers to Lac Repos or Marineau for lunch and back from SMDS-Zenon.

Edited by iceman

Not Good! It will be a traffic jug-screw as a result.

Better get started early if your thinking of passing that way.

Edited by timbo

Never much liked passing on the dam anyways. It was narrow, and the approaches were always bumpy due to no grooming. The only redeeming factor was the scenery. But once you've been there a few times, you don't even bother to look. I once saw two otters playing in the water behind the dam. That was neat. All in all the new bridge is a way better option.

Never much liked passing on the dam anyways. It was narrow, and the approaches were always bumpy due to no grooming. The only redeeming factor was the scenery. But once you've been there a few times, you don't even bother to look. I once saw two otters playing in the water behind the dam. That was neat. All in all the new bridge is a way better option.

X2

Hi there!!!

Yes I heard too about this. The bridge is under big renovation right now (which were well needed)and at this point we don't know if this new directive is a temporary measure or not. What I know for sure is that we wont be allowed to cross it this next winter.

I'm not happy to loose a trail option but it's not a big loss. I share the same opinion that the bridge is a way better option and for the pics, the #360 still pass so near that it will be easy to get there to take a few shots if it miss me too much! For the fellows that want to make the trail all around the Taureau reservoir, it will be something like 24 kms more compare to the old path, not something big.

Not Good! It will be a traffic jug-screw as a result.

Better get started early if your thinking of passing that way.

In fact Timbo, my observations from the last seasons bring me an other view on this:

cartetoro_zps85622817.jpg

If you look on the old map up there, you see that the #360 and the #345 trails are on the same path few miles (in between the 2 markers)This is the segment that suffer from traffic because it get the traffic from both trails. It is now a 3kms segment which is not that bad but before the bridge construction, this double traffic segment was from the bridge up to the #345 north junction(red marker) which was a 17kms segment that was quickly got bumpy... the new bridge trail made a huge improvement on this. This season, the brown trail to the bridge won't be there and I don't think we will get a so negative impact on the trail quality.

The atv guys are way more worried than us from this closure because right now they have no others options to cross the Mattawin river during summer. The bridge we use is closed to us and the atv's are prohibited on the Mastigouche wildlife reserve roads. They will probably put alot pressure to get the dam acces again...

Alain