General info Sacre Coeur east

doo4adoo

I would like to venture east on the 3 towards Baie Comeau. Looking for some insight on this route. What tgpe of trails and distance expectations. We enjoy riding and 300 miles a day for Quebec trails in general is fine with us. Any must see stops or tips on where to stay would be helpful as well. Im assuming much of this is remote and could be more rugged and its just one way in and back the same. Thinking of mid to late february. Im assuming we will have snow lol

Thanks Mike

One way to avoid backtracking is to take the ferry to Matane and come back on the South Shore and take the shuttle back across by Quebec city. We did that 2 years ago except took the ferry from Godbout to Matane after missing the one in Bae Comeau due to circumstances beyond our control Right Phil? LOL!

From Sacre Coeur east on 3 to Baie Comeau is a one day ride be it not a long one. Nice trail usually and fun. Gas in Forestville then on to Baie Comeau.

There is a shortcut that bypasses Escoumins when the river there is passable. Not the easiest to find as uually not well marked.

Beyond Baie Comeau gets wicked twisty and big elevation changes this part is much more technical i think then the trail before Baie Comeau.

Stayed in Baie Comeau once. Forget the name, big stone place down near ferry trail.

Forrestville has nice hotel there can't miss it. Econolodge.

In Escoumins is Complex Pel Chat nice hotel and great restaurant across the street.

Sacre Coeur Motel Coronet.

One way to avoid backtracking is to take the ferry to Matane and come back on the South Shore and take the shuttle back across by Quebec city. We did that 2 years ago except took the ferry from Godbout to Matane after missing the one in Bae Comeau due to circumstances beyond our control Right Phil? LOL!

What you talking about??? :sorry::search::acute:

A little story. Stayed in a very nice place in Baie Comeau, or Escoumins, I actually can't remember. They had, at the time, a prototype Ski Doo at the dealer. Wasn't allowed to be shown yet. Owner of the motel was friends with the dealer and called him and asked if we could come see it since we wouldn't be around when the unveiling came. Dealer agreed and the motel owner actually gave us his car to drive down to see it. Dealer gave us the whole detail about the new sled. I failed to mention that it was after closing but he waited for us. So the next morning we leave and head to Chapel using that cut through. In talking to the motel owner, he knew we were going in that direction. Anyway, we stop at Chapel for a quick bite and gas. While sitting there, the phone rings and the lady proceeds to ask if a guy by my name was here. Now let me tell you, when your way out in another country and the phone rings for you, that's scary. Here it was the motel owner. He found the pouch that i keep my money, wallet, sled documents and passport in, on the ground outside my room! He knew we were heading towards Bill's Holiday Inn for the night and he said he would put it on the mail bus and I could pick it up at the station after 5:00pm. Well it came as promised and a major problem was averted. I can just imagine if this was in the US. I would never any of my stuff again. Hats off to Canadian hospitality.

Beyond Baie Comeau gets wicked twisty and big elevation changes this part is much more technical i think then the trail before Baie Comeau.

Excellent roller coaster and the big bridge...

post-51-0-89289900-1452474864_thumb.jpg

Last year I left from Sacre Coeur Motel Coronet (418) 236-9444. We did a 222 mile loop and stayed at the Forestville Econolodge (418) 587-2278.

Before going up the dead end to the left there is an Esso gas station to the right. We had lunch at the Econolodge and went on the orange loop north of Forestville. It was a nice day.

02%2023%2015_zpszstif0kh.jpg

The next Day we went to Port-Cartier. Hôtel Le Manoir in Baie- Comeau (418) 296-3391 around is 105 miles from the Econolodge. You would have plenty of time to hit the orange trails north of Baie-Comeau. We hit them a few days later on the way back. We went east from the loop to Franquelin for gas.

02%2028%2015_zpskstqlq5g.jpg

Hope this helps.

All great advice on what to do and where to stop, the orange trails are a must if you have the time as several of them run up gorgeous valleys with awesome scenery. My favorite is the Portnuef river trail that is 10 miles or so west of forestville towards Escoumin, this year they actually have loop trail that runs from escoumin, north to the upper end of this trail! Than 35 miles back down to trail 3. Also the forestville club has groomed 55 miles north to the newly opened for winter, Pouirevoire Chenail that is open for Gas and beer. It's a one way and back trip but a fun trip and half way back you can pick up the forestville loop trail again so you don't have to back track the whole way. As everyone here has mentioned the econolodge in Forestville and the Pelchat in Escoumin are awesome overnights if your trip timing works out for either one. Have a great ride. RR

Iceman, you must be talking about this place in Baie Comeau. http://www.manoirbc.com/en/ Nice place for sure. One of the rooms has a

working fireplace in it.

Greasemonkey, you are most likely talking about Martin at the Pelchat in Escoumins. Great place too. Very snowmobile friendly. http://www.complexepelchat.com/

He let us use his truck to go to a different restaurant in town.

A view from on the bridge Phil posted a pic of.

post-64-0-96156400-1452606546_thumb.jpg

post-64-0-21300300-1452606551_thumb.jpg

post-64-0-49840700-1452606553_thumb.jpg

Edited by Snobeeler

Iceman, you must be talking about this place in Baie Comeau. http://www.manoirbc.com/en/ Nice place for sure. One of the rooms has aworking fireplace in it.Greasemonkey, you are most likely talking about Martin at the Pelchat in Escoumins. Great place too. Very snowmobile friendly. http://www.complexepelchat.com/He let us use his truck to go to a different restaurant in town.A view from on the bridge Phil posted a pic of.

Spot on with both.

Martin is a super guy.

Edited by iceman

Why is that bridge so high? Isn't there a dam right there? I would think its that high for ships but it doesn't seem like any would pass by there. Maybe a stupid question but just curious. Only passed over it once.

Edited by Jackstraw

Why is that bridge so high? Isn't there a dam right there? I would think its that high for ships but it doesn't seem like any would pass by there. Maybe a stupid question but just curious. Only passed over it once.

I see seaplanes docked near on the google earth view.

Iceman, you must be talking about this place in Baie Comeau. http://www.manoirbc.com/en/ Nice place for sure. One of the rooms has a

working fireplace in it.

Greasemonkey, you are most likely talking about Martin at the Pelchat in Escoumins. Great place too. Very snowmobile friendly. http://www.complexepelchat.com/

He let us use his truck to go to a different restaurant in town.

A view from on the bridge Phil posted a pic of.

That's him, Martin. Great ambassador for snowmobiling on the North Shore.