Season Opener 2016 GO TO THE SNOW!

Florida Snowman

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As hard ian I know it is to report and post pics on the go during a trip, you're doing a great job Tom.

Thanks for your efforts and thanks for sharing, members like you is what makes this site the best on the net for Quebec trail info.

Keep on Rohlin Tom

As hard ian I know it is to report and post pics on the go during a trip, you're doing a great job Tom.

Thanks for your efforts and thanks for sharing, members like you is what makes this site the best on the net for Quebec trail info.

Keep on Rohlin Tom

X2. Quite an adventure to get into Perce but the pics show it was well worth it!! You're having a great adventure for sure.

Not seeing any other sleds - and your pics at clubhouses show empty yards too - should concern all of us. If membership is down for FCMQ, it will eventually affect the clubs and of course grooming. Clubs can't keep clubhouses open when no one comes for meals and we lose vital stopping points.

I know it isn't peak season in that area yet (mid-Feb) and the snowfall has been off so far this year, but it is concerning.

Here's to hoping more snow, a great exchange rate, and all the great pics of snowmobiling here on QR will bump things a bit! :drinks:

Day 7

Woke up to overcast skies with heavy winds & a temp of 16*F. We got a late start this morning because Phil wanted to have his Viper checked out for a noise he was hearing. He took his sled next door to Pierre Coulombe at 8:30am when they opened where Pierre & Phil inspected & could not find anything wrong. We saddled up & mounted our ponies & we were off at 9:30am. Today was another TQ5 all day ride. Trails were fast & in excellent mid winter conditions. Snow levels/depths continued to increase as we travelled west. The results of the blizzard the north shore experienced 2 days ago (Tuesday) was evident. Most of the ride was on recently groomed trail that was groomed in the last 24-36 hours. Our timing couldn't have been better! There was a fair amount of wind drift busting in the first 20 miles or so. Took gas at the seaside Crevier station in La Martre on autoroute 132. Took gas again in Saint-Adelme. There was a fair amount of thin & wind blown trails in and around the Matane area & again in and around the Mont-Joli area. This is normal even in heavy snowfall winters in my past experience. Got to Mont-Joli just after sunset. The skies continued to clear as the day progressed & the sky was full of beautiful oranges & deep reds before & just after sunset. All in all it was a fantastic day of snowmobiling in the Gaspesie!

236 miles

Improvise and Overcome is the name of the game. As you know well. Go get em.

You got that right Don! Snowmobiling is always an adventure! Scorp must be bugging out not being able to get some more sledding in. Hopefully they don't keep him overseas too long!

Hope your trailer ride home to Shawini went well today. Leaving at 6:00am tomorrow for the trucks in RDL. Got about 120 miles to the trucks & this adventure will be over. So sad!

Edited by Florida Snowman

You got that right Don! Snowmobiling is always an adventure! Scorp must be bugging out not being able to get some more sledding in. Hopefully they don't keep him overseas too long!

Hope your trailer ride home to Shawini went well today. Leaving at 6:00am tomorrow for the trucks in RDL. Got about 120 miles on the sleds & this adventure will be over. So sad!

I guess i was wrong as Scorp is trapped in the USA with overseas clients I had it backwards. Yeah all good we got a nice little first ride in and all is well. My sled is with Mr. Pierre just to melt the Ice off her in the garage there. I will go get her Saturday.

Sad to leave such nice trails and come home to alot less snow than we had there. Depressing around here, it's getting better and you can ride but just not real great.

Awesome run there glad you guys made out well.

Keep on Rohlin Tom

Thanks for the acknowledgement Jean-Guy. I don't do this reporting for myself. I do it for everyone on QuebecRider to enjoy. I know how very much I love reading reports and seeing pictures others on this forum have posted when I'm at home or work dreaming about sledding (which goes on in my head about 365 days per year)! See you March 4th! Congratulations again on your new sled!

Tom

Never seen the parking lot at Adelme so low in snow........and sleds.

Where you guys staying in Mont Joli?

There were only 2 sleds there today & it was @2:30pm. Not good for business. I had never taken the time to go into that Relais Saint-Adelme on my prior trips thru the Gaspesie. I went in today to look around & wow what a nice place!

Tonight at Mon-Joli Motel in Sainte-Flavie. I prefer to stay at Motel Le Gaspesiana when in the Mont-Joli area. Much nicer place & fantastic food in their dining room.

Is tomorrow night a night at the bar or a night on the road. I want to be prepared!

mike

Hey Mike,

Tomorrow is @ 120 miles on the white trail & @ 750 miles on the black trail. Bringing my trailer from RDL to Trois-Rivieres then driving to NJ to try & beat the pending nor'easter they are chatting about for Saturday. Gonna be a long day for sure.

Sorry I won't see you but I'll be at the gathering in March.

Best,

Tom

Been there before

X2 on nice place and service

2 yrs back we drove up from MTL and stayed there, when registering the clerk asked us for our car keys. We asked why, he told us they offer a rescue service, should you break down anywhere on the penninsula they will have someone drive your truck to come and pick you up.

Well low and behold one of us did break down in MSP and had to make the call, worked out great. Nice to have when you're way out and stranded.

I will be back!

Day 8

Knowing that today would be an extremely long day of mixed vehicle travel, getting an early start seemed very prudent. The weather people & the media down south were hyping up the nor'easter that was predicted to head up the North Atlantic Saturday into Sunday. This would allegedly drop 12-18 inches in the Washington DC to NYC areas. Woke up at 4:15am & packed up gear. Loaded up and pulled out of Mont-Joli Motel at 5:15am under clear skies and 12*F. I've always loved getting on my sled 2 hours or so before daybreak & riding into the dawn of a new day. Today was a picture perfect example! All the stars were out & an absolutely beautiful full blood orange & red moon was just getting ready to set. After witnessing that full moon set into & below the horizon then 180* on the other side I watched the sky start to slowly brighten & a stunning colorful sunrise. What amazing beauty & I am witnessing all this doing my favorite passion! Destination was RDL & the trucks/trailers. Took trails 578 / TQ5 / 578 / TQ5 / TQ85 / 526 / LT & arrived at the Universal in RDL at 8:15am & 126 miles. All trails were in excellent condition & I passed a groomer who was heading east just at sunrise. Loaded up sled on trailer & drove 200 miles to my dealer in Trois-Rivieres to drop trailer & sleds to get serviced for my next sledding run. Continued on the black trail another 475 miles & arrived at my home in NJ at 6:45pm. A long day of travel but well worth the gift of returning home safely after another amazing snowmobile saddlebagging adventure!

126 miles on the white trail

675 miles on the black trail

1821 miles total on sleds for the trip.

Congrats on making back in time, let us all know how that nor'easter turns out.

Thanks a lot for your unbelievable efforts to report and post pics daily on your trip Tom. I loved following them and getting educated of the regions.

When's your trip?

Heading up to the chalet with the crew to break in my new ride.

JG

Edited by Trailblazer