Season Opener 2018

Florida Snowman

7 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

Fortunately I caught my belt before it blew apart. Eric's blew to pieces. Took awhile to clean it all out.  Today's mishap was my clutch blowing apart 15 miles from jonquire.

Do you guys get these sleds serviced before taking on the Quebec trails?

4 minutes ago, Trailblazer said:

The last belt I blew was on my 2009 Apex at the 13,300 mile mark. It was the original belt

6 hours ago, Trailblazer said:

Service them? I thought they where gas and go. We just prefer to rebuild them on the trail while touring thru Quebec.

Dealer serviced every fall, they do have over 16,000 miles on them

Day 5:  Friday Jan 19th

Pulled out of Sacre-Coeur on 93 to 3 to Tadoussac. Crossed on the ferry.  Continued on 3 to 383 to 83 & had lunch at Relais Plein Air.  Jim blew his primary clutch 20 miles before Jonquiere.  He was able to limp in doing 40-50 mph to Spence for repairs. They replaced the clutch with a new updated version.  We were out of there in 1 hour minus Jim’s cash!!  Headed to the Delta for the night.  

183 miles

5F3F2A93-B727-47D0-9DC3-057C353196D3.thumb.jpeg.7eba11d2eb4153cc6bb7847102cd7583.jpeg3A15DB8F-BAD0-4490-9A44-034A2E500E9F.thumb.jpeg.2cca544dc9b1968f83ff4daf43561b58.jpeg47F5BE55-18CE-4490-BBA2-5F209C1EE586.thumb.jpeg.8b4800e2720d39a0e2ff87da5eb6f570.jpeg

Edited by Florida Snowman

Day 6:  Saturday Jan 20th

Good night at the Delta.  Great seeing Bill, 182Ray, Ginger, the GutZ brothers and others. Woke up to howling winds & 6-7” fresh PowPow.  Had a great breakfast and pulled out at 8:15am.  Today was 83 west all day.  Stopped for gas and lunch at Mike’s restaurant in Roberval. Gassed up again at Relais 22 and took a refreshment break. While sitting inside Iceman & Snohorse pull up to the pumps!  Continued west on to Windigo for the night. Can’t remember ever seeing as many oncoming sleds in one day as today. I guess the free weekend & being a Saturday helped.  Good to see people enjoying our beloved sport! Have fun & enjoy. Winter is in full force up here.

218 miles 

Tom I believe we passed you on the 93 up in the Mont Valins. We were the two Cats that went around the groomer you 3 were behind. I jumped off my sled and tried to get your attention just as you pulled away. I thought I recognized Jackstraw.

Tom what is it with you, you just seem to eat sleds when you come to Quebec, if they’re not blowing up they’re breaking down reducing the daily needed mileage.

Remind me not to go riding with you.

2 hours ago, Pipeman said:

Tom I believe we passed you on the 93 up in the Mont Valins. We were the two Cats that went around the groomer you 3 were behind. I jumped off my sled and tried to get your attention just as you pulled away. I thought I recognized Jackstraw.

That was us Wes!  What a coincidence eh?  The groomer wasn’t trying to make it easy for us!  Where are you at tonight?

2 hours ago, Pipeman said:

Yep that was us

that was a big ass drag tough to get around till he finally moved a bit to the side   I know what the end result would be with one ski on the trail and the other in the powder. A kodak moment!

On 1/19/2018 at 4:39 PM, Low Rider said:

Ah, The smell of that Yamaha idling exhaust fumes in the room for 12 minutes,  a wake up call was never needed.

Too funny.

Nothing in the world smells like that...I love the smell of napalm in the morning...Smells like... victory.

5 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

How's that high-note on the Ape @ 9k rpm?

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!

Hey David,

Missed you by a few hours last Sunday at Pierre’s.  Don told me you guys had a good week up here.  

That Apex roar generates major dopamine release in my brain!  I’m addicted indeed!

Day 7:  Sunday Jan 21st

Pulled out of Windigo at 8:15am after a wonderful dinner, sleep & breakfast.  Martine & Daniel are such excellent hosts and treat everyone like friends & family.  Was nice seeing Iceman, Snohorse & Louie at Windigo also. Followed the orange stakes on the reservoir  3/4 of the way across then turned left and rode the reservoir all the way down past the last island and got off at Duplessis.  Went left down their driveway and then left again on the plowed road for 16 Kilometers where it hit TQ73.   Great shortcut.  Saves @70 miles.  Took 73 south & gassed up in La Tuque.  Continued on 73 to 353 to 23 & returned to our starting point Hotel Marineau-Shawinigan. 23 & 353 were beat to sh*t once you got close to Shawinigan.  Not a pleasant way to finish up a 7 day ride! Oh well. Sunday, free weekend, milder temp, heavy traffic equals garbage.  Plenty of snow so once the groomers get on it, all will pop right back in that area.  Loaded up the sleds & hit the showers!  Black trail tomorrow early morning.  Was a great week with some great riding partners!

208 miles 

A9D780F0-D8CC-43D4-B322-B63E45946AAC.thumb.jpeg.124b68037b73c8971d5eb1d2e8c19e76.jpeg

On 1/18/2018 at 11:30 AM, Florida Snowman said:

Hey JG,

It’s those SkiDoo’s!  Blowing belts........

As you always say “Snowmobiling is always an adventure”.   

It’s all about the journey!

FD815E60-FAB7-4C43-B497-F64C610B15CE.thumb.jpeg.6a0ede2f75852ffe9de015cc8697723c.jpeg

Excellent dealership in Chicoutimi-Nord!!

Great guys.  Great service. 

And they let you watch through the windows!! 

They tore No-Hairs Engine apart and drove out the RAVE Valves cleaned and checked the block. 

Put it back together and diagnosed the underlying issue, the muffler had collapsed inside.

GutZ

3 hours ago, MrGutz said:

And they let you watch through the windows!! 

They tore No-Hairs Engine apart and drove out the RAVE Valves cleaned and checked the block. 

Put it back together and diagnosed the underlying issue, the muffler had collapsed inside.

GutZ

Hey Don,

Great spending time speaking with your brother & you last week!  Was that repair you’re speaking of done this past week or on a different trip?

Best,

Tom

2 hours ago, Florida Snowman said:

Hey Don,

Great spending time speaking with your brother & you last week!  Was that repair you’re speaking of done this past week or on a different trip?

Best,

Tom

Tom

It was good seeing you too!

3 years ago right after we had a local dealer install a short block in his ETEC 600.

They also noted that the Skidoo short blocks were sent very tight and opened up the tolerances, local dealer knew nothing about it.

Later

Team GutZ

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2018 at 2:51 PM, Florida Snowman said:

Day 7:  Sunday Jan 21st

Pulled out of Windigo at 8:15am after a wonderful dinner, sleep & breakfast.  Martine & Daniel are such excellent hosts and treat everyone like friends & family.  Was nice seeing Iceman, Snohorse & Louie at Windigo also. Followed the orange stakes on the reservoir  3/4 of the way across then turned left and rode the reservoir all the way down past the last island and got off at Duplessis.  Went left down their driveway and then left again on the plowed road for 16 Kilometers where it hit TQ73.   Great shortcut.  Saves @70 miles.  Took 73 south & gassed up in La Tuque.  Continued on 73 to 353 to 23 & returned to our starting point Hotel Marineau-Shawinigan. 23 & 353 were beat to sh*t once you got close to Shawinigan.  Not a pleasant way to finish up a 7 day ride! Oh well. Sunday, free weekend, milder temp, heavy traffic equals garbage.  Plenty of snow so once the groomers get on it, all will pop right back in that area.  Loaded up the sleds & hit the showers!  Black trail tomorrow early morning.  Was a great week with some great riding partners!

208 miles 

A9D780F0-D8CC-43D4-B322-B63E45946AAC.thumb.jpeg.124b68037b73c8971d5eb1d2e8c19e76.jpeg

Place hasn't changed . I haven't been there for 7 years maybe longer.

Funny reading and seeing photos you can close your eyes and recall days like yesterday.  My wife and I crossed the ferry heading towards forrest ville. Heavy snow all day with wind. I got her to the truck stop other side. That was it. We stayed over night. Real roach hotel. Looking back and might have been right it was push 10 pm. She reminds me often. Insisted we cut the trip short and go back to saint Raymond the. Next day. We pulled in there late also . Some odd reason she wouldn't tour with me alone for a really long time. Only over night trips.

Long story glad you had a good trip

Just Jesse