Question regarding sale of Canadian sled

Mac

Asking for a friend of course.

Two years ago a friend of mine crashed his sled in Quebec.  We dragged it to the reputable stealership and traded it in for a new sled.  Dealer told him we don't use titles in Canada.  He has all the other paperwork provided by the dealer.  His question is..........  how do i sell it and transfer ownership here in the states? 

I know you guys will have the answer.  Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, Mac said:

Asking for a friend of course.

Two years ago a friend of mine crashed his sled in Quebec.  We dragged it to the reputable stealership and traded it in for a new sled.  Dealer told him we don't use titles in Canada.  He has all the other paperwork provided by the dealer.  His question is..........  how do i sell it and transfer ownership here in the states? 

I know you guys will have the answer.  Thanks in advance.

Not essily is the short answer.

the sled needs to be exported to the USA , then registered in state he lives in 

then he can sell it.

there is a process for exporting it from Canada to USA. 

Contact the DMV in your state and start there. You may need to bring sled back into Canada then export it back into USA to get the proper paperwork from border. 

Edited by iceman

Thanks for the response Ice.  He did no special export application.  Just put it in the trailer and drove it home to NJ from Quebec.  He did register the sled in NY.  Reg says Non Transferable.  I Just checked both my own registrations two sleds both say non transferable.  I don't owe any money on ether sled.  Am i supposed to have reg that says transferable?

32 minutes ago, Mac said:

Thanks for the response Ice.  He did no special export application.  Just put it in the trailer and drove it home to NJ from Quebec.  He did register the sled in NY.  Reg says Non Transferable.  I Just checked both my own registrations two sleds both say non transferable.  I don't owe any money on ether sled.  Am i supposed to have reg that says transferable?

For your sleds that say non-transferable, did you have a loan at all when you first got them? If you did then you need to show proof that the loan has been paid I think to get a transferable registration. Just like a clean title for a car when you sell it. 

For your friend, I think it’s not gonna be easy. I made the same mistake but mine was entering Canada with my jeep without filing paperwork. I could not register it in Quebec. They wanted me to return to the USA with it. Then file paperwork to export to Canada and then cross it back in. Nightmare. 

Finally I got lucky and got hooked up with a customs officer at the port of Trois Riveres. I brought jeep there he looked it over. Just checked VIN number and my title and he filled out necessary papers I needed to go register it here in Quebec.

I got lucky. 

Your friend may have to cross into Canada then come back to USA side and declare he is importing sled bought in Canada. Probably pay duty and any other fees and show All paperwork from dealer he bought it from. 

I think the registration that says 'non transferable' only means that if you sell the sled, the new owner can't use your registration to go off and ride the sled. He needs to register it in his name.

mike

You have a NY registration so you are all set.  When you sell a NY sled, the registration is the title.  The only thing the next owner needs to go along with the registration  that you have signed on the back side is a bill of sale.

11 minutes ago, Je me souviens said:

You have a NY registration so you are all set.  When you sell a NY sled, the registration is the title.  The only thing the next owner needs to go along with the registration  that you have signed on the back side is a bill of sale.

Except his registration is marked non transferable. And if I understand correctly he lives in New Jersey. 

1 hour ago, Je me souviens said:

They all say that.  How many sleds have you sold that were registered in NY?  I have sold 6 of them.  Merci beaucoup

Ok 

lets see how it goes. 

I think Mike Rider nailed it. TY

The word transferable refers to only the $ balance of the registration that has already been prepaid.  NYS residents are allowed to transfer and gift the balance of the registration to others.  The non transferable registration simply means you cannot gift the balance and the new purchaser must re-register and pay for a new registration.

I originally thought the transferable or non transferable was to transfer the title. 

Hparapter  -  You live in NY and your sled reg is always gunna be transferable.

Anyone out of state will be Non transferable.

Another writer from another site says.  Always make a copy of your Registration and carry that with you or in your tank bag.  Never ever keep the reg/title in the trunk/tank bag.  If your sled were to be stolen leaving the title/reg in the sled for the thief is just irresponsible.

• 2 weeks later...
I looked into this in 2002. At that time if the sled was built in either the U.S. or Canada, no duty had to be paid. I bought a Ski Doo in Quebec and trailered it back to NH. I paid no tax or duty. Had to stop at Canada customs with paperwork, and they faxed a form back to the dealer as proof the sled was going to the states and was tax exempt. I saved  $1300 at the time with the exchange rate. I registered in NH without issue. Naturally my local dealer was not impressed with me. later, while riding in Quebec, I had some minor warranty work done at a dealer. I was questioned why I owned a sled sold in Canada. My French is limited, but what I got out out of it was the dealer was going to somehow let on the sled belonged to my brother in law in Quebec to make the warranty work. I ultimately traded the the sled in NH without issue. 
In your case, did you ride or trailer the sled back? Was it claimed at the border? What brand sled, and where was it built? Can it be switched from Klicks to miles? Seems to me if it's in the States legally, with supporting paperwork, it should be able to be sold without issue. If not, then maybe trade in Canada and get proper documentation on the next one?

1 hour ago, wng-2 said:
I looked into this in 2002. At that time if the sled was built in either the U.S. or Canada, no duty had to be paid. I bought a Ski Doo in Quebec and trailered it back to NH. I paid no tax or duty. Had to stop at Canada customs with paperwork, and they faxed a form back to the dealer as proof the sled was going to the states and was tax exempt. I saved  $1300 at the time with the exchange rate. I registered in NH without issue. Naturally my local dealer was not impressed with me. later, while riding in Quebec, I had some minor warranty work done at a dealer. I was questioned why I owned a sled sold in Canada. My French is limited, but what I got out out of it was the dealer was going to somehow let on the sled belonged to my brother in law in Quebec to make the warranty work. I ultimately traded the the sled in NH without issue. 
In your case, did you ride or trailer the sled back? Was it claimed at the border? What brand sled, and where was it built? Can it be switched from Klicks to miles? Seems to me if it's in the States legally, with supporting paperwork, it should be able to be sold without issue. If not, then maybe trade in Canada and get proper documentation on the next one?

NYS non transferable registration is a "trail permit " for out of state sleds only, will need original Certificate of Origin or a legit bill of sale to transfer ownership. 

2 hours ago, mcstar said:

NYS non transferable registration is a "trail permit " for out of state sleds only, will need original Certificate of Origin or a legit bill of sale to transfer ownership. 

Indeed.  After reading all the comments, it sounds like the sled owner is a NJ resident who brought the sled into the U.S. undeclared. This would seem to me problematic....

Edited by wng-2

3 hours ago, mcstar said:

I would agree

1 hour ago, wng-2 said:

Indeed.  After reading all the comments, it sounds like the sled owner is a NJ resident who brought the sled into the U.S. undeclared. This would seem to me problematic....

Bingo

Correct - sled was trailered home undeclared.

Sled has not needed warranty work so we don't know if the dealership would have honored the warranty.

We have the NYS non transferable registration for out of state sleds.  We have original Certificate of Origin and a legit bill of sale purchased from Quebec. 

We see no problem signing over the Reg that NYS uses as the transfer of ownership document.  We always create our own bill of sale with Make, model, VIN, odometer, purchase price, names, addresses, sold as is, date of purchase.  The buyer will also get all documentation from original purchase.

What we have learned was that the phase on our NYS reg "non transferable"  has nothing to do with transferring sled ownership. 

Thanks Everyone