St-Gabriel/St-Zénon/#360trail/MattawinRiver 6february2016 pics ride-report

towing

It was not an easy week for us sledders, rain and mild weather but fortunately it ended up freezing back before the weekend. South of our area near home got slam and even there’s still snow Berthierville and Joliette snowmobile clubs decide to wait for more snow before re-grooming. After a short consultation with Steph, starting from St-Gabriel de Brandon, going up north and having a lunch at Marineau in Rivière Mattawin quickly became the choosen option. Here is the final path traveled:

carte_zpsd90fsxig.jpg

So we attached the trailer and drive up to St-Gabriel highschool parking to drop down there. It was 8:30 under a gray sky, -10C Steph, Krikri and I started our ride going northbound. Just groomed trail to start with= superb conditions

DSC08095_zpswnzodaqs.jpg

Once we traveled up in the mountains beyond St-Damien, it becomes obvious that the rain had very little effect in the north and they had the most of the precipitation in snow. It gives us a beautiful new snow depth groomed to perfection on a good hard base: very nice

DSC08113_zps1xk90nbz.jpg

DSC08119_zps9bjp5jn3.jpg

Halfway on the # 23 we choose to take the local trail

DSC08128_zpsnm3qnqvh.jpg

Which brings us to the #350

DSC08130_zpsrf0am1wp.jpg

which cannot look like a carpet more than that

DSC08135_zpsnypwznzh.jpg

We then take the #23 north. Very nice condition, no ice no rock. In fact, I expected less good conditions but we have been getting superb winter conditions from the beginning and just groomed trails... a big thanks to the snowmobile clubs!

DSC08136_zpsbe4dkxga.jpg

DSC08144_zpscxv36ini.jpg

We take a first break at the Cabanon

DSC08145_zpspvcr06kj.jpg

And then continue on the #345 north to the bridge of the Mattawin river. New snow freshly groomed ...

DSC08150_zps8ywnxqju.jpg

Beautiful and fast

DSC08154_zpsys274mvy.jpg

DSC08166_zpsx9uflupf.jpg

I love to ride near the Mattawin river, and this time it still does not disappointed us ...

DSC08170_zpsihn8q9r9.jpg

Like others did, we stopped for a short break to enjoy this beautiful scenery

DSC08174_zps8jgkeni5.jpg

DSC08177_zpsfij4canf.jpg

DSC08186_zpszprqwksd.jpg

Then got back on seat and rode towards the #360

DSC08194_zpsjcjglylw.jpg

The short section where the #360 and #345 run together had few bumps in curve but past the Repos junction continuing on the #360: beautiful

DSC08200_zpsnncwf6hz.jpg

Still freshly groomed top grade trail

DSC08205_zpsiiueurpm.jpg

And the beauty of #360, in addition to good conditions you have the scenery bonus

DSC08206_zpsz5ucumkv.jpg

Frost had make up the trees in a magnificent way

DSC08214_zpsnxahsiwo.jpg

DSC08221_zpss8s18cvs.jpg

We can’t pass through without stopping a few minutes at 4-40 rest area to enjoy the scenery

DSC08236_zpsapany9en.jpg

The flow rate is at his highest level for emptying the Taureau reservoir

DSC08238_zpstn6ngwul.jpg

Here a Picnic table to gives a good idea of ​​the snow there, pretty good for the winter we have.

DSC08253_zpsk6aemlhd.jpg

We took back the #360, wide and fast

DSC08258_zpse6ffyqv5.jpg

DSC08262_zpspjudjfig.jpg

The last section outside the ZEC before arriving at Marineau is very snowy

DSC08273_zpsip3qljbd.jpg

Our classic view there

DSC08277_zpsjl5zy6sw.jpg

Subsequently, the entrance to the bridge was sanded but the rest was ok

DSC08287_zpsr6lnxl0o.jpg

Here in the woods just before getting to the service station

DSC08293_zpsrhw7r2po.jpg

We finally arrived at 12:15 for lunch with 122miles on the dreameter. As always there, we had a great meal with fast and nice service.

DSC08296_zpsc4lpxpy2.jpg

After refueling, we retraced our steps on the #360 ​. The sky had returned on the gray side

DSC08309_zpsqhhrlhfa.jpg

As usual when we make this circuit, we switched on the M20 north

DSC08317_zpscn4hx0z5.jpg

A little ripple in some curves otherwise nice and fast

DSC08318_zpsszn5lucv.jpg

DSC08321_zpsd1tw1cge.jpg

The last ray of sunshine in the afternoon, before it starts to snow

DSC08334_zps1ailx6yl.jpg

Here at the intersection of M21 trail, a 15 miles dead end mostly used by chalets users further north. I had never got there so we gave it a try ...

DSC08340_zpskqj286kl.jpg

Having less traffic, the conditions there were impeccable.

DSC08343_zpsrznuadrn.jpg

There are some good stretches but the majority is woodland trail. The trail ends a few hundred meters farther on this runaway

DSC08354_zpspm6mexld.jpg

Here a nice picture of Steph and his Renegade in their element ...

DSC08355_zpsalkkrsys.jpg

We then retraced our steps to resume and continue on the M20

DSC08359_zpsbxldyn5d.jpg

A large portion of the M20 narrowest section on the northern part was redone and is now much wider and faster. A great improvement to this trail that was already nice before

DSC08365_zps6fmz0mjl.jpg

We took a break at the M20/#345 junction.

DSC08366_zpsyiixcqpm.jpg

A gray jay came begging us some food ... He was too shy to come to eat in our hands but jumped on our food when I put it on my Givi

DSC08369_zps64tciwn4.jpg

Snowmobilers have always something to tale about ...

DSC08370_zpslgvboovj.jpg

We then took the return path via the #345 south. The traffic of the day had done his work and the morning carpet turned to have a few folds in it then! Krikri with his broken rib did not appreciate much being shaken so she was very happy that we cross the dozer halfway between the bridge and the Cabanon. For those who doubt that there is much new snow there, look at the dozer coming with the blade down pushing snow. Result impeccable trail back ...

DSC08372_zpsjznljga2.jpg

We stopped to refuel and eat at around 17:30 at Cabanon. We have then took the same morning path to return. The #23trail up to the # 350 was pretty ruff butit was better then. Luckily, we crossed another dozer that had left from St-Gabriel about halfway on the # 23 which gave us the dessert to finish the ride. We finally returned to the trailer at 7:45 p.m. with 293miles on the dreameter.

My best ride this winter where we got full real winter conditions all along, it feels good! Also the weather forecast for the coming days is encouraging. Even if there are no big precipitations expected, cold temperatures are previewed and no damned thaw on the horizon! I still hope some snow for the very south to restore the trail network to full operation (and I can start from home!)

Hoping for the best

Alain :drinks:

Great pictures and report! Best Ive ever read and I say this every time you post.

Do you have your go pro set to time delay pic settings so it takes a picture at timed intervals? Or are these pics taken from a video?

Trails are setting up nice up there and more snow to come will bring things to 100%

Just fantastic pictures Alain. Conditions look so nice. As always, I look forward to reading your reports and seeing your pictures each week. And thanks for all the river pictures!!!

mike

Yes, with the frosty trees and sun it was magic! a delight for the pics catchers we are... thanks for the good words and they will have many more river pics to come... and even video!

Beautiful ride, report & pictures Alain & Krikri. It's nice to see mid-winter conditions finally in place in those areas.

The cold forecast will help.

That's a big day of riding with a broken rib that's healing! Krikri is a real trooper!!

Best,

Tom

Thanks Tom ! Yes it was for Krikri, in fact she's pretty comfortable and ok but hurt herself when she do some movement she should not do without thinking before... We all know she would recover faster if she stay calm at home but it's not an option... and in fact she hurt herself in the same way when she's at home, better going riding!

Great pictures and report! Best Ive ever read and I say this every time you post.

Do you have your go pro set to time delay pic settings so it takes a picture at timed intervals? Or are these pics taken from a video?

Trails are setting up nice up there and more snow to come will bring things to 100%

Thank you very much Teet! In fact my pics system have some malfunction these time...because of a broken rib!

Yes it's my lovely wife in backseat that take all the pics you seen in this report with an old sony small camera and most of them at trail speed. I had a Gopro running on this last ride, I had some great video data... I will try to edit a video soon.

Alain...

Rode the same trails on Saturday...had lunch at Marineau at noon. Our paths must of crossed at some point. Great day of riding. Really enjoy your informative posts. We will be back up soon.

We crossed our path for sure, I enter to lunch there at 12:15! We were seat in the rear of the canopy to the left.

I really enjoy your posts, you take great pics, makes you feel like your right there. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Dave

Glad you enjoy, it is he effect we want to have in our report, and you know what... I myself re-read many of them sometimes years ago and live again my old ride an other time! They are great souvenirs for ourself too

I love the M20/21 trails.

The M20 is even more fun to ride with the widen section on the north side!

Outstanding reporting, pictures, and conditions.

Thanks im4snow!

Hats off to your wife for taking such great pictures while riding!! Always enjoy reading and re-reading and re-reading your reports!!

We will be up in a week to stay at the Real Masse for 3-4 days, looking forward to seeing more of your reports!

Nice report Alain, looking good up there

Thanks Viper, yes they now got the edge it was missing the weeks before, very nice now

Yo Grumpy it says it right on every photo.......Saturday!

Sometimes you won't see what you have just in face... happened to me more than once!

Wow Alain those trails were a real treat, I wish the rest of the province was like that.

As always you and KriKri are a real team together

Beautiful pictures my freind

Thanks Trailblazer!

Alain can you send me info on that place in parent looks good

You probably write about the other thread for a Parent trip. The cottage are l'ombre du vent, you have all there: http://www.ombreduvent.com/home.html

Hats off to your wife for taking such great pictures while riding!! Always enjoy reading and re-reading and re-reading your reports!!

We will be up in a week to stay at the Real Masse for 3-4 days, looking forward to seeing more of your reports!

She have many years of experience in doing that and she's pretty skill! I re-read those many time myself!!! if you want re-read an old good one 2012, check this one, :http://www.quebecrider.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2357&hl=chibougamau

Alain, I just wanted to tell you how nice it is to get your ride reports. My buddies and I read up on your reports of the conditions each time you ride. It was kind of cool to actually be in a couple of your pictures and not even knowing it, till on our way home on one of your January trips.

Thank you very much for all you do.