Chic Chocs

JLRICH

Hey all, had a once in a lifetime trip planned coming from southern NB to the Gaspe trails. The highlight of the trip was to be the trail through the Chic Choc mountains. Now hearing that the trail is closed I’m wondering if we should postpone till next year. Never been there, too old to go twice so looking opinions. I feel like the trip will be phenomenal regardless but hate to miss out on the mountain range. 

23 minutes ago, JLRICH said:

Hey all, had a once in a lifetime trip planned coming from southern NB to the Gaspe trails. The highlight of the trip was to be the trail through the Chic Choc mountains. Now hearing that the trail is closed I’m wondering if we should postpone till next year. Never been there, too old to go twice so looking opinions. I feel like the trip will be phenomenal regardless but hate to miss out on the mountain range. 

Only you can decide. 
yes the ride through from La Cache to Murdoch and vice versa is awesome. That said if you don’t hit it just right with a blue sky day then it’s not quite the same. 
i hope that makes sense. 

so much scenery on the Gaspe hard to beat north shore MSP and east to Gaspe. 
595/597 

yes sucks chic choc trail closed this year, but not a dealbreaker in my world. 

25 minutes ago, JLRICH said:

I feel like the trip will be phenomenal regardless but hate to miss out on the mountain range. 

Trail 5 on the north shore will give you mountains as well as trail 595. Lots of wonderful scenery and once you have been there you will want to go back so save the Murdockville to LaCache trail for that trip.

As the others have said still lots of scenic riding to do in the Gaspe. 
How many days do you plan to spend in the Gaspe. The past two years we’ve done a 6 day Gaspe/NB trip, spending 3 days in each.That makes a perfect trip.

This year we are spending 5-6 days in the Gaspe then another 5 days in NB.

Which area is the Caribou club in?

You should go for the ride on 5 around the north shore.  Always amazing to look out on the St. Lawrence River and see 600 foot plus ships that are out so far they look like toy boats. One year there was so much ice all the ships had ice breakers leading the way.  Also staying at a hotel near the water and see nothing but ice when you go to bed and wake up to blue water. Whatever you decide have a good time and be safe. 

10 hours ago, iceman said:

Only you can decide. 
yes the ride through from La Cache to Murdoch and vice versa is awesome. That said if you don’t hit it just right with a blue sky day then it’s not quite the same. 
i hope that makes sense. 

so much scenery on the Gaspe hard to beat north shore MSP and east to Gaspe. 
595/597 

yes sucks chic choc trail closed this year, but not a dealbreaker in my world. 

So much great scenery on the Gaspe, one trail would not stop me. Like Iceman said, unless the weather is great its just another trail. If it hasnt been groomed for a while and its a snowy day I would probably avoid it and stay on the north shore.

18 hours ago, JLRICH said:

Welcome newest member.

You only live once, have at it!

To much to see, don't let one trail stop you because it's closed this season.  Every year there is a new trail closed for whatever reason, I don't think that stops us from riding certain areas, we have to adjust our routes.

There are members on this site that know their shit about riding Quebec trails, they will help you with your questions.

Thanks everyone for your comments. We will definitely be going through with our already planned trip. 

Next question, we are going the second week of March and planning to loop up along the north shore then in land to Murdochville, east to Perce then we were planning on coming back the south shore. Now after reading some other posts I’m wondering if there is typically enough snow in the south that time in the season. 

Edited by JLRICH

49 minutes ago, JLRICH said:

Thanks everyone for your comments. We will definitely be going through with our already planned trip. 

Next question, we are going the second week of March and planning to loop up along the north shore then in land to Murdochville, east to Perce then we were planning on coming back the south shore. Now after reading some other posts I’m wondering if there is typically enough snow in the south that time in the season. 

Last year it was thin but passable.  The two years before that were mint condition the whole way (except parking lots and gas stations).