sold !!!

groomer

Koubec vendu !

La pourvoirie KOUBEC à Mandeville a été vendue...maintenant la propriété de M.Plante de l'auberge SACACOMIE...

just read on the french forum that koubec in mandeville has been sold to the owner of hotel sacacomie !!

groomer !!!

Is that good news Groomer?

i can t tell !! i ve been there in 96 for gas, while working for challenge kanada .

the only thing i remember ,there was a nice lady!!!waitress??? daughter of the owner ??? ha !!ha!!ha!!!

i can t tell !! :lol::lol:

groomer !!! :drinks:

i can t tell !! i ve been there in 96 for gas, while working for challenge kanada .

the only thing i remember ,there was a nice lady!!!waitress??? daughter of the owner ??? ha !!ha!!ha!!!

Yes, her name is Helen, very nice. I have been there many times since 1985. Good place to stop for warm soup or beverages. Her father used to feed the bears right out of his hand. Her brother Peter would fly his plane over to Cabanon and land on the lake untill he had too many and crashed once. Just a few dings to the plane.

Yes, her name is Helen, very nice. I have been there many times since 1985. Good place to stop for warm soup or beverages. Her father used to feed the bears right out of his hand. Her brother Peter would fly his plane over to Cabanon and land on the lake untill he had too many and crashed once. Just a few dings to the plane.

La pourvoirie était gérée par M. John Koubec (père) depuis des décennies; après son décès, son fils Peter a pris la relève jusqu'à dernièrement

hi snobeeler !!

just saw that on the thread,the owner was john koubec and after his death, his son peter took the business.

im not 100% sure ,but i think a moose came in the yard that afternoon while we were there.

groomer !!!

Well lets hope she is still out there and doesn't just look good , but can serve up lunch too!

Cheers!

Jean-Guy! Women can still look good in their 50's!!

Keep in mind...there are lots of people in here heading to the ripe old age of 50! You and Me to start with!! =@

Jean-Guy! Women can still look good in their 50's!!

Keep in mind...there are lots of people in here heading to the ripe old age of 50! You and Me to start with!! =@

linda....i know about that !!! :lol::lol::lol:

i don t mind much about my age,it's only numbers !!i have friends in their 40's and they look way older than 55 !!

if you start thinking about your age ,you ll get older faster !!ha!!ha!!

my dad always told me that everythings happens between the 2 ears !!!i m not the most positive person ,but thiking about my age , i keep a ''young attitude '' !!!

i should quit grooming and become a philosopher !!!!haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! :tease:

jean-guy :drinks:

For our age, just avoiding to look too much at the mirror do the trick for me ;)

As for the Koubec, this pourvoirie is very unique :rolleyes:

when you get there, you feel you just jumped 100 years back in time :o

DSC06509Large.jpg

The interior of this relay is exceptional with the huge double side hearthstone in the middle.

I really hope the new owners will restore the site and not build an other Sacacomie luxury hotel there... it would be a sacrilege to put the excavator in a so nice place.

You will surely remember Snobeeler in the 90' when the little restaurant was in the buiding just behind the one on the picture(pulled down now)... It was a narrow old dark place with low ceiling (was probably built more than 100 years ago) with a very old woodstove at the back... an unique place like no one else just at the opposite from the luxury places we frequently see, but so nice... :rolleyes:

I really hope it won't be the end :nea:

Alain

Edited by towing

That looks like a great spot Alain!! I hope to make it to Quebec this winter. if winter ever gets here that is!

linda....i know about that !!! :lol::lol::lol:

i don t mind much about my age,it's only numbers !!i have friends in their 40's and they look way older than 55 !!

if you start thinking about your age ,you ll get older faster !!ha!!ha!!

my dad always told me that everythings happens between the 2 ears !!!i m not the most positive person ,but thiking about my age , i keep a ''young attitude '' !!!

i should quit grooming and become a philosopher !!!!haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! :tease:

jean-guy :drinks:

Philosopher/Photographer and Guide!!

For our age, just avoiding to look too much at the mirror do the trick for me ;)

As for the Koubec, this pourvoirie is very unique :rolleyes:

when you get there, you feel you just jumped 100 years back in time :o

DSC06509Large.jpg

The interior of this relay is exceptional with the huge double side hearthstone in the middle.

I really hope the new owners will restore the site and not build an other Sacacomie luxury hotel there... it would be a sacrilege to put the excavator in a so nice place.

You will surely remember Snobeeler in the 90' when the little restaurant was in the buiding just behind the one on the picture(pulled down now)... It was a narrow old dark place with low ceiling (was probably built more than 100 years ago) with a very old woodstove at the back... an unique place like no one else just at the opposite from the luxury places we frequently see, but so nice... :rolleyes:

I really hope it won't be the end :nea:

Alain

great pic alain !!

can feel the ''history'' of the place !!

jean-guy

John Koubec was an amazing guy and remains a real legend to snowmobilers in Lenaudiere. Many folks aren't aware of the history of that place. If I remember correctly it was originally a private hunting club for the gentry from a large area of Quebec, most from Montreal, Laval and 3 Rivers. John was originally employed as a caretaker/huntmaster for these heavy duty dudes. I believe that John was originally from Czechoslovakia. As our francophone friends in the province achieved more political clout, the Mastigouche Reserve was being expanded and the rich boys lodge was "condemned" and was taken to add to the Mastigouche. Huge stink at the time as the owners (mainly Anglophones) did not go away quietly. Anyhoo, "koubec" became a provincial property,(though separate from SEPAQ, i believe)and the Koubec family were the lessee's for many years. This lessee status was very unfortunate, as the physical condition of this once incredible property deteriorated over the years.

The pics that Alain posted are of what was the main lodge for the original club. There were a large number of cottages arrayed along the lake front, where the members stayed when in residence. These are presently in sorry shape.

The stories of John feeding his pet bear are all true. Saw him do it many times. A few of you oldtimers will remember the huge dog that always sat by John's rocker in the old little dining room; that dog was 3/4 wolf and was, unfortunately, shot by a hunter near the time of John's passing.

In the old days when we used to stay at the Sawmill in St-Michel, our favorite ride (on the central median double groomed trails) was to ride out the road from St-M thru St.Ignace du lac,stop in at the Papillion for "coffee", then ride thru the Masstigouche park gate, and down the old trail past Lac Mastigou to Koubec. I remember pulling into the gas pumps at Koubec many times when it was bitter cold and John's wife, with only a shawl on and bare handed, would pump gas into a line of 8 to 10 sleds, smiling and chatting away the whole time. They were hearty people. The story of his son's exploits with his skiplane are true. Another of his famous flights would be down to the lake at Pourvoirie du Lac Blanc.

The news of the sale of the property to Sacacomie is somewhat puzzling given the history of the property once being private, then taken by eminent domaine by the government????? Jean-Guy, did your story tell you who the SELLER was? Was it provincial government? Any mention of leasehold interests?

I share the sentiments of Towing when he states that it would indeed be unfortunate to turn this hallowed sledding venue into another Sacacomie with all that would entail. Alas, the worm turns and times change.

timbo

That is an awesome example of a classic Relais. Love that place and i too remember the woman pumping gas bare handed. Spent many years riding the area there and to Glaciere and up to st mchelle des saints. I hope they restore the place as well. I remember the runway there made a great racing spot. The dog was huge. Sad i did not know the story of it getting shot. Great place. Very unique property. Wish i could have been lucky enough too buy it. It is sweet.

hi timbo !!

just checked on the thread ,no info about that !!

i ll let you know if i find something .

jean-guy

Hi Jean-Guy

Thanks for the info on the site. It is a bonafide real estate listing and the seller is Peter Koubec, so it's the real deal. Obviously the story circulated about it being condemned years ago by the gov't was not accurate, or, Koubecs'acquired it sometime in the past after the club deal???

Anyhoo, let's hope its new owners keep it somewhat in its historic character. It's a mellow place full of tradition. High end destinations like Sacacome are wonderful.....unfortunately, they do not really cater to us snowmobile trash (remember where the sled parking was the first two years they opened, and where it is now!!!!!! lol). Their targeted clientele is a notch above us motorized folks who go about bespoiling the tranquility of the winter woodland.

timbo B)

timbo

Hi Jean-Guy

Thanks for the info on the site. It is a bonafide real estate listing and the seller is Peter Koubec, so it's the real deal. Obviously the story circulated about it being condemned years ago by the gov't was not accurate, or, Koubecs'acquired it sometime in the past after the club deal???

Anyhoo, let's hope its new owners keep it somewhat in its historic character. It's a mellow place full of tradition. High end destinations like Sacacome are wonderful.....unfortunately, they do not really cater to us snowmobile trash (remember where the sled parking was the first two years they opened, and where it is now!!!!!! lol). Their targeted clientele is a notch above us motorized folks who go about bespoiling the tranquility of the winter woodland.

timbo B)

timbo

hi timbo !!

just checked again ,looks like i was in the moon last night,saw his name on top right corner !!

according to one poster on french forum,the new owner wants to make it the biggest snowmobile relay in pq !!

time will tell i guess !!

jean-guy

So true about the Saccacomie sled parking. Makes you not feel wanted there for sure. We shall see what happens. Its a great location the Koubec.Would love to see the biggest relay in Quebec there, As long as they do not make Cabanon jealous. We have seen what can happen then. Things burn down with people in them. AKA Le Refuge.

Koubeks is my favorite stop of all. As Helen had told me the original structure burned around the turn of the century and was rebuilt soon after. It's been in several movies such as Yukon fang, Grey Owl with pierce brosnan, and Les Boys. Great old place. Peter offered to take me up in the air but he was into the cough syrup so I had to decline lol. Another time I was wandering around and went upstairs to find the rocking chair at the top of the stairs rocking gently. Hhhmmm.....Helen had told me there were no guests their at the time and her baby son John was downstairs with her. Somebody still resides there. She says it's the caretaker who had passed in the 1950s.

Edited by TILEPRO

Koubeks is my favorite stop of all. As Helen had told me the original structure burned around the turn of the century and was rebuilt soon after. It's been in several movies such as Yukon fang, Grey Owl with pierce brosnan, and Les Boys. Great old place. Peter offered to take me up in the air but he was into the cough syrup so I had to decline lol. Another time I was wandering around and went upstairs to find the rocking chair at the top of the stairs rocking gently. Hhhmmm.....Helen had told me there were no guests their at the time and her baby son John was downstairs with her. Somebody still resides there. She says it's the caretaker who had passed in the 1950s.

Yikes!! That sounds kind of creepy! I hope the caretaker likes us! lol

So true about the Saccacomie sled parking. Makes you not feel wanted there for sure. We shall see what happens. Its a great location the Koubec.Would love to see the biggest relay in Quebec there, As long as they do not make Cabanon jealous. We have seen what can happen then. Things burn down with people in them. AKA Le Refuge.

Careful iceman that is the way rumors start. I remember going to Koubek's back in the late 80's when they were still using the small building that was torn down. The dog was on the porch having his lunch out of a stock pot and inside there was an identical stockpot on the stove with the soup of the day in it. Too bad it got sold, I did hear last year they were looking to sell. Just hope they don't turn it into another sacacomie I won't go in that place it is obvious they look down on snowmobilers.

Yeah it was crazy when i think back to the days riding from Glaciere on the 1991 Formula Plus. St michelle to Manawan was quite a feat back then. Koubecs was a welcome warm site for sure. Rumors are unavoidable. Sad but true.

I agree with you folks, it would be a travesty to remove the original buildings and build something new.Pierce Brosnan the movie actor stared in a movie filmed there called Grey Owl. There are some great shots of the inside and outside of the building in this movie and the story is based on a true life of a would be Indian who went on to be one of the first conservationist to save the beaver from extinction. A very interesting movie.

John Koubec's wife that you talk about was a graduate of Syracuse University for what it's worth!! I have great memories of this place as well. As for the age thing, I'm going to be 67 this december and still feel like I'm in my 40's. Can't wait to ride Quebec this winter.

Take care all and have a safe 2012 season.

regards Combat!!