Mechanical reverse vs push button reverse

revct1

Hi all,

I’m looking at a new sled for next year and I need some feedback.

I had a 2010 4 stroke GSX1200. I had issues with the air shock and with reverse not always working properly.

Now I’m looking at a 2013 Renegade 1200 4 stroke which will have mechanical reverse. I’ve never had one and I heard that they may be difficult to use or have problems of their own.

Anyone heard of any problems with the mechanical reverse and also how much strength does it take to get it into reverse?

Thanks,

Sandi :)

My Rental 1200s have all had the mechanical reverse.... easy to use and not too hard to engage, if you remember....

They have all made me look like an idiot, you stop...hit the button on the bars... wait for a few seconds for it to spin the motor backwards and gas it a little to back up... then apoligize for bumping into your brothers sled and flip the lever by your right knee and backup.

Also Thank Jack for blowing the belt, it made the rest of the trip much nicer with the new belt installed. Who knew all the vibrations were from the belt...

Later

Gutz

Edited by MrGutz

Also Thank Jack for blowing the belt, it made the rest of the trip much nicer with the new belt installed. Who knew all the vibrations were from the belt...

Later

Gutz

Not a problem Gutz. If you ever have a motor with a vibration in it, I can probably fix that too.

Jack =@

id go with the mechanical reverse my self on a 1200 way less prone to having a prob

it very easy to go in and out the ones that are hard to go in are not adjusted right

that's what I heard, all you had to do is add more oil to the chaincase and they worked fine.

AND don't overtighten the chain.

GutZ

that's what I heard, all you had to do is add more oil to the chaincase and they worked fine.

AND don't overtighten the chain.

GutZ

yup snug chain 500 ml oil and 18 thousands clearance for the handle and it works perfect

Yes on the chain, , yes on the handle clearance. If you do very long WOT, like in miles, 500ml will puke some out. Also the lever pulls much easier if the drive belt is not too tight.

yup snug chain 500 ml oil and 18 thousands clearance for the handle and it works perfect

Yes 4 strokes are mechanical but Ski Doo has electrically actuated reverse as well as good ole hand operated reverse

that's what recct2 is asking about

One of the GSX's has electric reverse engagement. I believe it is the SE we ride with a manual and electric in our group and both have been fine.

Thanks to all who answered my query. And a special thanks to 182ray for clarifying what I was asking. It looks like the mechanical reverse has won out. If I don't like it I can always give the sled to Jack to ride and take his 800 etec. :good:

Sandi

Sandi, are you and Jack both ordering new ones? I really liked the ride on Jacks renegade on the trails. How many miles did you and Jack ride this year? I know it was alot,lol. Best of luck, tell Jack hi, Dave

Edited by MichiganRev

Hi Dave,

I am the only one getting a new sled. Jack likes his renegade too much to get rid of it this year. So he talked me into a renegade, but I'm getting the four stroke.

We had a great year of riding, saw a lot of people, went to most all the places we wanted to and totaled around 6,000 miles.

Hope you have a great summer and we look forward to riding with you next year.

Sandi & Jack :drinks:

Thanks to all who answered my query. And a special thanks to 182ray for clarifying what I was asking. It looks like the mechanical reverse has won out. If I don't like it I can always give the sled to Jack to ride and take his 800 etec. :good:

Sandi

What I would do for my wife if she couldn't decide between mechanical or electrical would be to buy her one of both & let her decide!

Jack your welcome in advance for this insightful suggestion! :rofl: