2013 Trail Conditions

Saguenay Bill

Today farmerold, 182ray, RDLmike and I rode 170 miles. We went to Spences to get ice scratchers for farmerold. Ray and I got ours before we left to come to Quebec. These things are amazing. I wouldnot have a sled with out them. We rode up to Onatchiway and then down to Scooby Raid. Trails were great the other side of the Saguenay. I was told by a local that Alma is out of snow so beware.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday, Wed, DR, BRANDON, farmerold, RDLmike, 182ray and I rode 200 miles. When to the truck stop and had the best lunch in town, then down towards Scooby Raid. Crossed the Saguenay in St Charles. Good day, trails on the north side of the river were great.

Quick answer til Bill gets back from today's ride n that area,, Past couple days over that way the snow depth is pretty good, but the snow is very hard. Most are running ice scratchers. I'm running a short track Doo and haven't had slider problems nor has the heat light come on even though I have no scratchers. The trails are very nice after they have been groomed, and those not yet groomed are hard as a brick, maybe harder. Even the groomed trails are hard, but they are very nice with plenty of lube and cooling. A few trails that weren't groomed yet are just starting to get a little dust on top from sleds using them, plus we had an inch in Jonquiere last night, though the wind is blowing it all over. mike

farmerold, DR, BRANDON, sasconst, John, revct1 and 2, brgbild, 182ray and I rode 245 miles today. Trails were great. We had about 2" of snow last night which helped the trails alot. Our ride today was up to Pipmuacan, Temp tomorrow morning is suppose to be -37C.

Bill,

how is scooby raid to monts valin east, or even valinouet if you were that way, hard as heck or some soft lube on the trails?

thank you!

ian

Ian

It snowed up on Mont Valin the other night. Guys who rode in from KM 31 on Wed said the trails were good. Hope this helps.

Bill

Bill, 182Ray, Farmerold, Sig and John are on a saddlebag mission to Sept Iles. They may not get a chance to post every night.

Yesterday we rode to Scooby Raid for the Gathering. The trails on the north side of the river are excellent.

I rode with the Gutz brothers today. We took 383 south for 60 miles to the junction with 83. There we made a u-turn and rode 83 back to the Delta. 383 was perfect except for the 4 mile re-route below Ferland which goes around a landowner that didn`t give permission this year. 83 was very good.

The forecast for today was 20-25 centimeters of snow and high winds. This morning it was windy and some light snow but it ended before noon. The weather this afternoon was very nice. Tonight the wind and snow are picking up again. There is still a storm warning for the area.

Jack & (Sandi)

Bill, 182Ray, Farmerold, Sig and John are on a saddlebag mission to Sept Iles. They may not get a chance to post every night.

Yesterday we rode to Scooby Raid for the Gathering. The trails on the north side of the river are excellent.

I rode with the Gutz brothers today. We took 383 south for 60 miles to the junction with 83. There we made a u-turn and rode 83 back to the Delta. 383 was perfect except for the 4 mile re-route below Ferland which goes around a landowner that didn`t give permission this year. 83 was very good.

The forecast for today was 20-25 centimeters of snow and high winds. This morning it was windy and some light snow but it ended before noon. The weather this afternoon was very nice. Tonight the wind and snow are picking up again. There is still a storm warning for the area.

Jack & (Sandi)

Thanks for posting Jack, I need my daily Quebecrider "fix".

Dave

farmerold and I left the DS at 8:30 this morning. Rode 200 miles, got back at 4PM. Trails were great, Rode to Anse St Jean. Trails have beeb changed quite a bit over the past 2 weeks. 383 no longer passes thru Ferland, due to land owner problem. 383 is now old Local 22 and old Local 21. Also farmerold noticed a sign going to the Saguenay River lookout that it is closed to snowmobiles and VTT's.

Today 3 of Team Butt Paste, farmerold and I rode 210 miles. Trails were good. Went out on the pickle park trail, then 328 to 367 to 93. Took local trail to Vauvert for the Sunday brunch. After eating we took the local trail across the swamp to 93 and then the local trail to Milot and on to Scooby Raid. Went in Scooby Raid for a bowl of soup and then back to the Delta. I think I found the problem with my sled building up snow in the tunnel and then overheating. I put the cable ice scratchers on my sled. They are suppose to hook onto the rails when no in use, which works fine in theroy but not in real life. today I ty wraped them up and had no problem what so ever.

Hi Bill

Get the sled back and running properly? I have a big interest in that machine.

Thanks

Phil

Phil

Check out the above post.

Bill

Today 3 of Team Butt Paste, farmerold and I rode 210 miles. Trails were good. Went out on the pickle park trail, then 328 to 367 to 93. Took local trail to Vauvert for the Sunday brunch. After eating we took the local trail across the swamp to 93 and then the local trail to Milot and on to Scooby Raid. Went in Scooby Raid for a bowl of soup and then back to the Delta. I think I found the problem with my sled building up snow in the tunnel and then overheating. I put the cable ice scratchers on my sled. They are suppose to hook onto the rails when no in use, which works fine in theroy but not in real life. today I ty wraped them up and had no problem what so ever.

Phil

Bill

Lets hope it was that simple, if I dont tie mine up they keep coming of the rails also.

Thanks

Phil

Phil

Bill

Bill,

Could you provide more detail? Is the problem with them coming off the rails and causing too much dust or hitting something while on the rails?

I use them too and have not had a problem to date. I use the duraflex and they stay on the rails fine.

Today farmerold, 3 Butt Paste boys and I rode 230 miles. Went down 83 to 383 into River Eternity and Anse St Jean, then up over the hill to the "Clearmont Express". Had lunch at Truck Stop #2, soup, rice, veggies, meat, salad, desert and coffee at $11.44 + tip. Actually one course more than Truck Stop #1. Left TS#2 at 1 PM back at Delta at 4PM. The "Clearmont Express" couldn't have been any nicer than it was today. Hammer down baby and hang on.

Revct.....there is a model of ice scratchers that do just that, they're called Trailblizzers I believe, Linda and Snowfarmer had a set on their sleds and they said the same thing about them, on the other hand I have a set on my sled don't quite recall the brand name probably Kimpex ' cause they weren't expensive. They bolt on the underside of the footboards and just drag under spring load,I ran over many railroads and other obstructions without a hitch.

Good luck.....they work great a big plus for a sled option

JG

Bill,

Could you provide more detail? Is the problem with them coming off the rails and causing too much dust or hitting something while on the rails?

I use them too and have not had a problem to date. I use the duraflex and they stay on the rails fine.

Bill,

These are the Duraflex. They will not stay on the rails. 182ray's duraflex jump up on rails while he is riding. I just wire them up when not needed. Easy fix.

Bill, How are things on the south and west side of the Lac?

I saw a report of thin snow but nobody else has mentioned it. Still able to go around the Lac right now?

South and east end of Lac very skinney on snow. North side has lots of snow. Albanel area has snow as well.

Today farmerold, 3 Butt Paste boys and I rode up to Onatchiway and then on up to Pipmuacan. You don't ride the logging road all the way up. Take the local trail that runs between Onatchiway towards Scooby Raid, 21 miles from Onatchiway, come to a T, bear right and this brings uou back to the logging road at KM 53. When we came back we got on the trail that brought us down to the potato field in St Anbroise. Left at 8:30 back to the DS at 4:30 doing 240 miles. Nice ride. My sled ran cool all day long.

Left the DS this morning, actually a day early. Conditions north of the river should hold up. In and out of the DS are very poor. It was 44 degrees this morning when we left. There were 7 guys at the hotel yesterday that put their sleds on 2 flat beds to get back to their truck somewhere south. We ended up doing about 1000 miles in 4 1/2 days of which we rode with Sagueny Bill for 3 of them.