A very cold week!

Andyman

Spent last week riding in some very cold temps. The coldest I saw on a thermometer was on a digital at Kanawata minus 39.6. We rode to 100 Lacs and Mont Laurier where we had the absolute worst trails of the entire week. South of Saint Anne du Lac was brutal on the 20th.

The 21st had us back to St Donat for sled repairs.

Left again on the 22nd and visited Coin Lavigne for breakfast then on to Kanawata via Repos in very cold temps.post-14-0-06794400-1359409741_thumb.jpg

23rd headed to the Barrage Gouin again brutal cold.

24 Rode to Escapade then rode the reservoir to Obedjiwan and Pouviore Martin ,by the way Martin is closed and no stakes period on the res. Do not attempt without a gps track and good weather. The trail from Martin to Clova is not groomed or marked with lots of deadfalls. One point of interest is that approx 15-18 miles south of Martin you come to a big new road and the trail disappears. We rode the road both directions initially thinking it would take us to Clova but it soon became obvious thta it was heading completely away from Clova. We learned that this is the new #25 road from Parent to Sennterre only problem no gas for 300 km! After our trial runs in both directions we went back to the trail from Martin and using our track we eventually found the continuation to Clova.

We sayed at the Tamarac my first time there. Our host Carole and Alain and Monique we excellent! We put our sleds inside the garage and then ate drank and were merry with some other Quebecrider family members IKE & Pipeman nice to meet everyone.

25th back to 100 Lacs for the night and on to St Donat in the am.

Back to St D early afternoon with 1325m/ 2132km

Overall a superb week on the trails despite the cold temps. One bad section of trail the balance unbelievable.

Andy

ps: If anyone wants more info on the Gouin just ask.

post-14-0-19201000-1359409753_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-09961100-1359409764_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-46819800-1359409775_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-69350800-1359409784_thumb.jpg

Glad to hear the trip was a success overall despite the cold. Good pics.

We've been watching that new road being built over the last few years. I hope the club grabs the old road and uses it for the snowmobile trail. Last year part of the trail ran the old road.

Jack & Sandi

hi andy !!

thx for the groomer pic..

not 100% sure,but i think there s 2 models like that in pq !!

according to what i ve read on the french forum..great machine ,but won t win a beauty contest !!..hahha

jean-guy

Nice to meet you Andy

Pipeman

Pipe

Was great to run into you and Chris at the Tamarack that cold evening. Carole and Alain were grascious hosts and we all had a jumbo good time. Food and accomodations were great.

As Andymans thermometer post showed, it was quite a chilly few days for those of us riding around in the north of Lenaudiere/Maurice that week. I hope you guys got your sled back to MT.L without trouble.

Funny to meet you guys for the first time in Clova when we only live 30 miles apart here in PA :nea:

One last note for anyone planning to ride north of Repos this season......the Gare in Casey is closed this winter.... there is no gas in Casey this season. Nearest gas is Kanawata, Weymo(sometimes :rofl: ), or the barrage at the Gouin. If you can make the 70 mile jog north to Obedjewan, there is a great gas station there.

timbo

timbo

Looks like a great trip guys!

Riding through this cold temp was someting rude but 100X better than througt rain and ice.... I have to admit -39,6C...it's tough.

I'm glad that our last year GPS track serve you well for your trip on the Gouin reservoir.

Thanks for the pics!!!

Alain

Edited by towing

Andy, just curious, what made the trails south of St Anne du Lac horrible? Bumps, lack of snow, ice, etc...... Also, how was the snow in and around the town of Mont Laurier? I'm heading up there on Saturday.

This was a Sunday and they were beat beyond words huge bumps and minimal snow cover.

Andy

With the warm up today/tomorrow, do you think the trails will still be covered with snow or was it so marginal that a warm day will take it down to dirt?

I'm trying to decide if I want to go next week. I don't have a lot of flexibility to move my vacation, but on the other hand I don't want to go just because I have vacation. I hate beating up my sled on dirt/rocks. I'd rather not ride.

With the warm up today/tomorrow, do you think the trails will still be covered with snow or was it so marginal that a warm day will take it down to dirt?

I'm trying to decide if I want to go next week. I don't have a lot of flexibility to move my vacation, but on the other hand I don't want to go just because I have vacation. I hate beating up my sled on dirt/rocks. I'd rather not ride.

I would sit tight and wait until this warm up is done then start scouring the posts to find some on the ground so to speak current trail reports. There is up to 60mm of rain forecast for the Abitibi so it will certainly take a few days to get rid of all that water and for the trails to be repaired. I would consider starting your trip from another location further north to avoid the damage in the south. North of St Anne du lac had great snow conditions last week so they should be able to with stand this melt.

Andy

Great trip report as usual Andyman. Hope it isn't quite that cold when we venture up again next week.

In the first picture, is that an old man beating that Polaris with a stick?? Extension cord not reach the machine?

Now that's just plain mean and spiteful, Steven :nea:. Actually, that is a magic wand with which I am caressing that beautiful Switchback.

Looks like a great trip guys!

Riding through this cold temp was someting rude but 100X better than througt rain and ice.... I have to admit -39,6C...it's tough.

I'm glad that our last year GPS track serve you well for your trip on the Gouin reservoir.

Thanks for the pics!!!

Alain

Alain, your track was perfect. Andy navigated across the Gouin like a local Cree guide. There must have been some of that Indian lore that wore off on him.....several times late in the evening after that excursion we heard him muttering things that we could not understand.??.. :rolleyes:

Alain, your track was perfect. Andy navigated across the Gouin like a local Cree guide. There must have been some of that Indian lore that wore off on him.....several times late in the evening after that excursion we heard him muttering things that we could not understand.??.. :rolleyes:

Ha ! That's funny stuff there Timbo!! It was a pleasure meeting you guys, I am sure we will cross paths again.

Pipeman

Andy, just curious, what made the trails south of St Anne du Lac horrible? Bumps, lack of snow, ice, etc...... Also, how was the snow in and around the town of Mont Laurier? I'm heading up there on Saturday.

You may want to trailer to Louvicourt, there north should be good they are calling for "up to" 35cm of snow for there up to Matagami and over to Chib. snow instead of rain. I'll be amazed if Mont Laurier survives this warm up.