Abitibi/temiscaming ride report

viper2

I posted some pics and reports at a couple different places on QR I guess it is time to consolidate. We decided to scratch the Gaspe trip because of the thaw and drive to the snow 660 miles by truck to Val d'Or it was a grind but probably worth it. Day 1: left Forestel at a little after 11:00 am it was very cold -20 F and had a problem getting a sled started. 8 miles out of town stopped at the 83/309 split for a bag check and the nice policeman came upon us and made us dig all our info out including drivers license continued down 309 to Rapid 7 stopped for lunch and to warm up good food and warm stop about 48 miles from Forestel when you leave here heading south you cross the Barrage pretty impressive. Took 309 to Laforce then the local trail (fresh groomed) to 63 then west to Latulip so far trails good but a little twisty from Latilip to Ville Marie very good trail took 63 down to Duhamel west stayed at LeBannik awesome place 155 miles for the day pics to follow

Viper2 a little tip if you're using an Iphone for picture posting. Before posting choose the pics you want to post in your camera roll and once you have chosen the pic push on the button on the bottom of the phone and the one on the top of the phone at the same time, this will capture the same image in another format (not sideways or upside down) then use this image to post. Keep in mind you can preview what you are posting by pressing the "preview" button on the bottom of the screen.

Good luck and keep trying

JG

Lol not good with the I phone for sure. Day 2 left Le Bannik headed south to Yamaha dealer in Bearn. Wife got a new suit this year but Snow Diva not gonna cut it in Quebec. Very cold today more than Monday leave dealer at 11:15 with another new suit this time a Yamaha stick with what works. Take 303 to 63 all good stop for lunch at a real nice place in Remigny called camp Ronoda a couple miles off trail but great place and nice people they also have cabins for rent. Continued up 83 to Rouyn Noranda

Day three -38 F this morning hard time starting a couple sleds. Left RN about 10:00 head up 93 to LaSarre a little choppy first 30 miles but not too bad. Did the tour de Ville up west side took orange trail to Depuy then went to the border to check the 105 on Ontario side. We had hoped this week to ride a day or two over there but connectors not open. Headed back to LaSarre around north side and down east side all on 93 then east to Amos for the night at Amosphere. 93 is awesome as usual

Thanks for report, snow pack & trails look and sound encouraging after the big rain / thaw. Rode the abitibi area last 2 years, #93 is by far one of my favorites. Heading to quebec 2/7/14, not sure where yet. Looks like most areas are getting back to good conditions. Cant wait to get up to Quebec!

Left Amos this morning very cold,hard to get going had to make a stop at dealer for new electric shield didn't get going until 10:30. Took 93 west to 307 north to st domeniqe du rosarie gassed up and took a chance on the 396 north. Couldn't get a real answer if the trail was open yet so we decided to try it. Didn't look good at the start but had been groomed at some point as we got a few miles up the trail we crossed a river and the trail improved greatly was really nice and got better the further we went. Got to Matagami about 1:30 had to warm up and take lunch then headed to Lebel sur Quevillon for the night. First tracks going up to Matagami and down to LSQ not sure if anyone has done this run this year. Other than some wippets in the trail it is in really good shape pics to follow

Gas station across from hotel Matagami used to be old service station where you could park sleds overnight now it's a new mini market, other two pics from 396 on the way to Quevillon at warm up shack

post-299-0-66379300-1390527263_thumb.jpg

post-299-0-21259200-1390527315_thumb.jpg

post-299-0-10546100-1390527346_thumb.jpg

Gas station across from hotel Matagami used to be old service station where you could park sleds overnight now it's a new mini market, other two pics from 396 on the way to Quevillon at warm up shack

I know that little warming hut very well Viper2 south of that to LSQ gets real twisty

Left Quevillon took 93 to Senneterre for breakfast then 83 east to lake fallion. Had plans to stay at Balbuzard but we called from fallion and they were booked so we back tracked on 83 to the 386 ( used to be local) past the Matchi-Manitou to just below Louvicourt then 386 up to 83 and west to Forestel in Val d'Or all trails excellent saw a huge wolf on 83 about 10 miles out of Senneterre

Wow viper, seems you have a good trip! LIke last year deep cold stick on you... anyway, it's better than rain!

Thanks for reporting. I never been west from Senneterre, it's a unexplored interesting spot for me...

The Coyote had marked his territory! I bet it's this one...

DSC02151_zps58952771.jpg

Alain

Warming shelter just north of Senneterre?

Andy

the one with the booster cables for the inside light.

Correct and correct that was at least the second one he left his mark on. They turned up the wick on the oilburner this year last year it was -5 F inside this year it was +40

Wow viper, seems you have a good trip! LIke last year deep cold stick on you... anyway, it's better than rain!

Thanks for reporting. I never been west from Senneterre, it's a unexplored interesting spot for me...

The Coyote had marked his territory! I bet it's this one...

DSC02151_zps58952771.jpg

Alain

Cold for sure Alain but you are right much better than rain. You must make the trip west some of the nicest kept trails in all Quebec. They groom with all the intensity of the Lanaudiere with much less traffic

Our last day of riding in the Abitibi was to be a day loop out of Forestel. Met Florida Snowman in parking lot as he was preparing to head for Mt. Laurier and had a nice chat always nice to meet a QR. We took the 83 west through Malarctic and had a top quality breakfast at McDonald's. Took 83 to the 307 up to Amos then east on 93 to Barraute got lunch at the Poulet Fritou and scored a 10lb. order of french fries then backtracked to the 313 and back to the Forestel. Had a great week the trails were awesome and very little traffic except Saturday.