Comments/advice on this trip

snowdogs

We have finalized plans for our first Gaspe trip, it will be the outer loop, here is our plan. Any comments/suggestions etc.. are appreciated. I know that some of the inner trails are awesome but for our first trip we wanted to do the entire outer loop.

Day 1- leave our friend's house in Thetford Mines to the Universal

Day 2- Universal to Matane - Motel Le Portage

Day 3- Matane to Mt St Pierre - Motel Le Delice

Day 4- Mt SP to Perce - Motel Le Cote Surprise

Day 5 - Perce to Carlton - Hotel Baie Blue

Day 6 - Carlton to Amqui - Selecotel

Day 7 - Amqui to Pohenegamook - Auberge du Village

Day 8- Pohengamook to Thetford

Let me know what you think. departure date from Thetford is Feb 20

Thanks, Mark

We are going up a few days before that. Our plan is RDL to Saint Annes des Monts. Then To Perce and then? We will be at the universal on the 20th when you are before heading home in the morning.

Edited by 600IQHO

That is a nice trip and it looks like you have the mileage worked out well each day. How many are on this trip, that can make a big difference if you have a break down out there, can tie you up for a couple of days easy, so can a good snow storm. Make sure you really have a few spare days. This is a great ride and you will love this place they call GASPE!!! Be safe and do not forget your camera!! Bob.

1- drive to bernies

2- passion quebec in valin about 270mi

3-to bae com 285depending how we do and where stay

4- take ferry to matane and do a local loop

5- mont saint pierre 152 mi

6- chandler 239mi

7- new richmond with interior trails 207mi

8- amqui 200 mi

9- RDL 200 mi

10- bernies 205 mi

11- drive home

here is what were doing leaving sunday

. . . and if there is a storm within a couple of days of your MSP -> Perce leg, you will have a difficult time with drifts. Got to allow extra time for possible breakdowns/bad weather.

Day 3 try Table de Roland

x2 - I don' think Ken's place (Fleur de Lys) is open in winter any more(?)

Thanks for the comments, there are 4 of us on this trip, so very manageable. Upon your advice we switched from Motel Cote Surprise to Auberge Table de Roland. We are all able to hold up in case of a storm. We also have someone standing by in Thetford to come with truck and trailer in case it is needed due to a complete disaster.

Mark

Great move to table de roland, very good food, rooms are ok and owners are great, also located right next to gas station, fill up the night you arrive as they do not open early. You will want to be up early to see the sun rise over THE ROCK!!! BRING YOUR CAMERA FOR SUN RISE. Vt Blue, great quote about our sport and trails, I do not nead to know anymore about you after reading that, you are one of the guys who cares deeply about the outdoors, many thanks for your efforts and appreciation. Bob.

Definitely should have stuck with your 1st instinct and the cote surprise, stayed there once a couple years ago quite possibly the best beds in Quebec and excellent food, it does come up a little short if you are looking for a good bar though. Oh and after many years riding all over Quebec I think they have the best sugar pie in the province

• 2 weeks later...

Well we arrived back in Thetford Mines yesterday afternoon after 1547 miles. Wow, what a trip, trails 10/10 except Matane to Mt St Pierre where with the wind and holy crap snow, the groomers just can't keep up due to drifting snow. I don't think I have ever ridden through so many different weather conditions in my life. This was our first time and will not be our last. Our motel choices worked out fairly well, if we new how fast some of the trails were we would probably have saved a day at least. Some motel comments... In Matane we pulled into our reserved place for the night Le Portage, from the outside I was bummed out, got inside and found the rooms dated BUT... the new part owner Caroline has done a nice job, brand new COMFORTABLE mattresses, a great updated FUN bar and resto and Caroline is a fantastic host and bartender who speaks perfect english. In Mt St Pierre we stayed at the le delice, I realize there are only 2 choices but the guy that owns the place has ZERO personality, the food and rooms were very good but no fun in the bar, we were in bed by 8:30. Perce, table Roland was nice, good food and gas at the hotel (the gas station next door is closed). Carleton, Hotel Baie Bleue was nice, good food and bar. Next night was Amqui had we known you can go 100 mph most of the way there we would have planned to go farther but when we realized how fast we were getting there we spent a couple of hours at Groomers clubhouse (great place) From there we went to Poheenegamook and stayed at the Auberge Frontiere, excellent food and a good time.

I just edited the motel in MSP it was le delice NOT hotel MSP

Edited by snowdogs

Gaspe is a must for any saddlebagger. Glad to hear everything worked out good for you and your group Mark and there were no catastrophes. Taking your time the first trip around is the best plan. It took us three tries to do our first loop once due to mechanical problems and the second time due to weather conditions.

Time to start planning the next big trip!

Jack & Sandi

Edited by revct1