Joliette/St-Zenon Mastigouche reserve 23January2016 photo ride-report

towing

After looking at the local trails from the road during the week and having read the good comments on the forums, we decided to start our ride from home and ride towards the north to loop in the Mastigouche reserve sector. Here is the final path we did

carte_zpsthadtbm5.jpg

Saturday morning with a nice big sun, -16C Krikri and I along with our partner Snowcruiser begin our ride from St-Thomas de Joliette and ride towards Berthierville. The trail #43 was very nice

DSC07645_zpsguxghaou.jpg

Further there is the savannah that take always longer to completely freeze. The dozer had groomed a little bit backwards but had not yet crossed it leaving a 400 meters in the woods not surfaced yet but can be easily crossed slowly. There is still a small area in the center that will probably not support the dozer weight yet.

DSC07646_zps8hamdc3x.jpg

We then joined #3 trail that we take “est” towards Berthierville

DSC07648_zpsf9xczm9o.jpg

Trails in fields like here along the railway are very nice

DSC07650_zps4mx6qsvp.jpg

I must tip my hat to my snowmobile club Carcamp from Berthier who did a great job with the perfect timing to groom with the rain we had giving those beautiful trails today despite the lack of snow in the south of our area which is still a bit visible in the woods sections

DSC07657_zpscyrukhi6.jpg

DSC07659_zpshlfntud5.jpg

Bayonne river for his part was not very inspiring ... it was clear ice with usual path at clear water on the other side and the trail rerouted to the left with another risen further.

DSC07661_zps4cdn0rgn.jpg

Despite the sunshine, swimming was not very tempting, therefore crossing by the car bridge just next seemed a way much better option

DSC07663_zpsf964jyqv.jpg

On the other side the #3 trail was still amazingly beautiful

DSC07667_zpssac3elrm.jpg

DSC07666_zpse861lssf.jpg

Even in these fields where we see earth bumps on each sides of the trail we had don’t even a feel a single knock on the skis, impeccable

DSC07669_zpsonknpczs.jpg

The short sections in the woods against would take a bit more snow.

DSC07671_zps7xhzrh88.jpg

It was so beautiful that Snowcruiser suggested to continue the #3, crossing the river at la Gabelle and return by trail #23, but I found it to be a little more risky option and we finally decided to keep the original plan. So we took the #63 north.

DSC07681_zpshyzehl1p.jpg

Conditions next where ok on the thin side. The trail has changed places on a good portion north of the Amaro plant (for those who know the area) and it is a good improvement, beautiful path. Approaching St-Gabriel there were a couple sandy curves.

DSC07683_zpssaczjkeh.jpg

In fact, it’s not major…if we put together all the bad spots it give something like an half mile but the lack of snow is most obvious for sure

DSC07687_zpsaqae2ysa.jpg

There are some perfect stretches but some less good sections

DSC07689_zpsgqefbqou.jpg

Just north of St-Gabriel as you climb the mountain a new trail path has been done. Instead of crossing the road at 45 degrees further, you cross it at 90 and rises just next to the ski slopes of Mont Lanaudière, an old ski center which was closed for more than twenty year now.

DSC07693_zpspwa4mzsy.jpg

DSC07696_zpsdbcuzmnq.jpg

Just left at the top of the hill there is a new sign for a point of view. We followed the small path and stopped at the belvedere they are still at building. It gives a nice view on the Maskinongé Lake

DSC07699_zps0zuoehzw.jpg

and St-Gabriel de Brandon city

DSC07700_zps44xojphm.jpg

We can still see some old parts of the ski lift from the closed ski station. It also made me think of the Gareaufolies, maybe some of you have seen or heard about it. This was an event that took place a couple of times on this site in the early 90. It was a simple and brilliant concept: they buried many tons of snow on the site and covered it with a layer of sawdust and emerged it all later to make a mountainside Snowcross track... in July !!! a truly spectacular summer event, all of those who have seen or participated will never forget that's for sure!

DSC07702_zpsijbaq81f.jpg

Just before leaving, we had the chance to meet and chat a bit with Stef40 and his gang that were passing by

DSC07703_zpsnci3mvyh.jpg

Here exiting the viewpoint path, we can see the “roller coaster” like new trail section that join the old route just on the other side of the mountain

DSC07704_zpsbyngkrdk.jpg

We continue to St-Damien de Brandon and join the #23 trail

DSC07713_zpsyh5katlb.jpg

Trail condition was similar up to St-Damien outfitter where conditions improved a good notch from there and up north

DSC07720_zps1dap1z2q.jpg

It was then winter condition and we ride on snow powder, very nice.

DSC07724_zpsecbkc43z.jpg

DSC07731_zpskedh62ei.jpg

We then really played in the snow

DSC07734_zpsfh0blrso.jpg

DSC07740_zpswofdkxai.jpg

We took a short break at Réal Massé

DSC07748_zpscilbzg4a.jpg

Further north, probably due to their popularity trails were a little bumpy but snow cover was nice

DSC07769_zpsnsevr5nw.jpg

We then took the #350 towards la Glacière

DSC07765_zpsczpjod3p.jpg

To take the #63 trail towards St-Zenon.

DSC07771_zps8t2u9rnz.jpg

Very few potatoes in the big hills and very good overall

DSC07775_zpsvykpboog.jpg

A little before crossing the #131 road there is a junction with a local trail to the right to go to the brand new Crevier gas station just ahead of the St-Louis lake.

DSC07791_zpsxsg0zcan.jpg

We turn right a few hundred meters and made the refuel at this service station which opened in last August. It's fun to see liters climbing faster than the dollars on the pump, 97.4 cents/Litres

DSC07784_zpsrrm7fxlh.jpg

There's this nice restaurant just aside the gas station convenience store

DSC07790_zpso95fpa3g.jpg

We had a very good meal installed in the front glass canopy overlooking the St-Louis lake and the restaurant was not busy at all. There was, against many trailers in the parking lot on my first picture of the service station as it was the opening of Village on Ice St-Zénon 2016 and there was a ride of antique snowmobiles organized in the afternoon ref: Welcome - Village sur Glace Saint-Zénon

We saw several yesteryear models while we were eating. I missed my shot for the pics because they were already left far on the lake when we left the restaurant.

DSC07786_zps96fhyrjv.jpg

After the snowmobile and our bellies filled up we took the trail towards the Cabanon. Here in the distance the Kaiagamac lake at the entrance of St-Michel des Saints village

DSC07793_zpskibcyakw.jpg

Followed by huge big hills

DSC07795_zpsyfq0sjmy.jpg

DSC07797_zpsqctmavim.jpg

And it rides very well ...

DSC07804_zpscckkhc7q.jpg

Once past the Cabanon, we took the #23 trail in the Mastigouche wildlife reserve. As usual, really beautiful in winter conditions and no bumps

DSC07819_zpsl97lufqm.jpg

DSC07820_zpsdecyrgyu.jpg

This is the best part we did on Saturday. The trail was in good snow conditions and fast

DSC07825_zpsvb4mf5qb.jpg

DSC07830_zpslnqi7q5f.jpg

Really beautiful in this sector, just some icy curves to be careful. It took good runners and it was wise to keep it easy and slow more in curves.

DSC07833_zpsxevkbrdt.jpg

DSC07837_zps84mdl4dx.jpg

We took a break at the centenary outfitter Koubec

DSC07852_zpsxnwry7ct.jpg

Before resuming on the #350 trail westbound. Past the intersection with trail #345, there is this intersection that I do not remember having seen before, I'll have to try this small segment one of these day ...

DSC07857_zpschi0qbga.jpg

The trail #350 meanwhile was very beautiful and not beat, groomed rather wide and fast

DSC07861_zpsljnoc3lu.jpg

DSC07866_zpskj0htidz.jpg

This year from the #350 there is a shortcut to the #23 south. Instead of having to go join the #23 junction and pass through Réal Massé, we took the local trail that cuts through and gets directly on the #23 4 miles south of the Réal’s pourvoirie (see my trip on the first image). This is a very interesting option that considerably shortened the ride and swapped some twisty sections for fasters one. A very nice option for us or somebody wanting to go to Réal Massé on a loop path

DSC07871_zpsqd16qjek.jpg

#23 the southernmost had received a lot of traffic and we had to watch out for icy curves again

DSC07880_zpsyucxsllh.jpg

In St-Gabriel de Brandon we took the #345 trail and crossed the dozer not far from the village

DSC07892_zpsroiw0fwc.jpg

St-Felix sector had probably a broken dozer because the grooming was not recent but Joliette sector even thin had good conditions.

In conclusion, I have no regrets to had started our ride south. Even if the conditions were not all perfect, some places were amazingly beautiful as #3 trail in Berthier sector and other areas in the south vary between fair and very good. It open to us a larger playground and the traffic was diluted in a larger area than last week but I had to admit that the north had a good notch up for snow condition.

There’s small storm to watch for tomorrow with mild temperatures… hoping for the best because we really need it in snow!

Alain beer_cheers.gif

Nice Ride Alain ! Things look good for what little snow you have had . Do you notice more American Trailers in the parking lots this year? I've talked to buddies of mine who ride from the states that never venture up this way much are considering it more because of the dollar and snow conditions . Thanks for the report!

great pics and ride report Alain. again. we have very little snow in our area of NY, and your posts really get us excited to ride in the great white north! we are bringing some friends who have never ridden there and I have been a little nervous about building up their enthusiasm, but it looks like conditions are coming around!

Very nice report, Alain. Great pictures too.

Amazing how good and bad the conditions can be on one ride and how little snow for late January.

mike

Thanks mikerider, as for the snow levels it's the reflect of the whole weather pattern since the beginning of the winter... around a month late on the average. I just hope we will get a late spring to compensate!

Looks awesome and let's hope for the best this week weather wise.

We finally got some rain at home but almost no rain north from St-Jean de Matha and St-Zénon area got jut snow from what I have heard. No real snow lost but pretty icy here at home... with some new snow we should get in the next days I think I may be good to go from home for the weekend... will see

Nice Ride Alain ! Things look good for what little snow you have had . Do you notice more American Trailers in the parking lots this year? I've talked to buddies of mine who ride from the states that never venture up this way much are considering it more because of the dollar and snow conditions . Thanks for the report!

Can't tell if it was american's trailers but the parkings lots of la Glacière, Réal Massé and Cabanon were all completely full in the last weekends. From what I had been told, yes it seems the strong american dollar vs canadian + the cheaper gaz price vs what it was have convince many Americans to pass the border to ride... I'm a bit jalous, I would really like my dollar to worth 30% more when I'm sledding!

Great report and pictures as always. Thank you.

Thanks doonali!

Nice to get on the local trails I bet! Looks like the clubs are doing awesome with what they have.

You bet, being able to ride from home is soooooooo nice! Dress in the house in the morning, turn the key and ride. When the ride end just turn the key off, undress and relax on the couch!

The dozers operators really do some great job here

great pics and ride report Alain. again. we have very little snow in our area of NY, and your posts really get us excited to ride in the great white north! we are bringing some friends who have never ridden there and I have been a little nervous about building up their enthusiasm, but it looks like conditions are coming around!

Thanks Spanky, it's not the snow levels we were hoping for but like markusvt underline, the clubs are doing awesome with what they have and it goes slowly but shape up each week!

I wish you a very good snowy trip in the great white north!

Thanks Tom! :drinks:

We just missed an occasion this weekend with Coyote to loop from St-Zenon to Parent on 2 days. I cancelled yesterday, Krikri was not top shape, coughing alot and I think she may had a broken rib... She was still willing to do it! but I had not agreed. We will try to ride today but will keep it easy...

We will surely have other occasions but nothing planned yet

Great report Alain. I love how you and KriKri capture the essence of motoneige almost weekly. From the shadow photo to warming huts, to the hand signals to the variety of terrain and conditions and adapting to what comes your way. Also 1/4 of Krikris photo compositions could well be framed and hanging proudly on any enthusiasts wall as souvenirs of riding in Québec.

Very nice pic's Towing. Looks like similar conditions to what we were experiencing last two week ends on the trails around St Jovite and up toward Labelle. This weekend may be a question mark for conditions here.

Is that your Yamaha Venture? I have a 2015 and was thinking about building a rack and mounting a top box for a moto and wondering how it would look. Thanks to that pic I now know! If it is your machine and have some time, would you mind taking a few close up pics of it and how it is mounted.

Thanks,

Norm

GREAT AS USUAL ALAIN.. I do not know where you get the time to take all those beautiful pictures with KRIKRI .Glad to see u are getting in some good miles and leaving from the house is sure a bonus this year .. ENJOY.

Thanks Grumpysanta! The pics are mostly Krikri job...and she pics while we ride so it does not take real more time...

Very nice pic's Towing. Looks like similar conditions to what we were experiencing last two week ends on the trails around St Jovite and up toward Labelle. This weekend may be a question mark for conditions here.

Is that your Yamaha Venture? I have a 2015 and was thinking about building a rack and mounting a top box for a moto and wondering how it would look. Thanks to that pic I now know! If it is your machine and have some time, would you mind taking a few close up pics of it and how it is mounted.

Thanks,

Norm

Thanks Cnc, my Givi at the back is an old setup, did it at fall 2004 on my first 4 stroke venture 2005. Very reliable, did 39000kms before I sold it and never got a problem with it. Bought a used identical Givi micro2 ($40) and put it on my next venture and run an anoher 5 years 39000kms but this time kept it when I sold the old venture and just put it on the new style Venture I had now. The old venture had a removable rear rack which I used as a base for the Givi. I just put a square tube braket in between et voila!

DSC06425_zpsg6on10ay.jpg

Same Givi on my old venture

DSC04214_zpsc48dhxwx.jpg

Disavantage: the weight is pretty high and being at the very rear of the sled is more noticeable. Personally keep light things in it

Advantages: You got a big locked storage on your sled, not have to worry your things got stolen when you are away from the sled.

With my set-up I can remove it easily at the end of the day with the rack braket, It is lock with a padlock

Also, the back draft is behind the Givi and this keep the snow away from my wife seat so she always had the back/butt dry

DSC07149_zpsyxvfh5x5.jpg

I actually kept the bracket exactly how it was for my old venture which put the Givi a bit far rear from the backrest but it had the advantage that a still have access to my rear trunk under the seat. I will probably modify it to bring it closer to the backrest next season

DSC06924_zpsw8nbszkv.jpg

Hope this help...

Thanks, it does help a lot. I have saddle bags from my Polaris but they just don't sit nice on the Yamaha, so I was looking for some extra storage space.

Interesting you talk about moving the box closer to the back rest, I was thinking that also. Nothing figured out and won't be till I buy a box but my thought was to design a rack that would allow the box to sit closer to the back rest and slide back on short rails for acess to the trunk.

Again thanks for the pics, looks like I have a new project coming up!