GT Rider's 2016 Trip

GT Rider

X2!

I don't know how you remember everything in detail. Nice Job

Thanks Jackstraw,

Its a good thing I have a camera.

What a trip, I am worn out just reading about it, good job.

Thanks 800steve,

It did not go as planed but we did the best we could.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Improvise and Overcome, it's the name of the game. You guys have mastered both. Glad you made the best of it all and had a memorable trip. Hat's off to you and the Mrs. Nice run.

Thanks Don,

We don't mind the Improvising with the weather conditions. I would like to keep the mechanical improvising to a minimum. We needed team Markusvt for a bush fix.

Great job on that last adventure. You guys are awesome.

What did you use to get your sled un stuck? A portable wench? What did you secure it to? That two up sled weighs a ton....I am guessing around 600-650? Not easy rolling it back oved in deep snow...

MXZ700RIDER,

It was a 2 pull maneuver with the warn snowinch. I had a little digging to do as well. I started using a come along years ago and that got old.

I think it is about 650. Warn don't leave without it.

Hi Jim and Gemma,

You two have this solo touring down pat. We are amazed at how well you get yourself out of the unpredictable. Congrats on your "adventure" and thanks for the reports and pics.

Jack & Sandi

Jim and Gemma, you were having a great trip. Bummer! Your sled isn't that old. How many miles on it?

You are right, it is always an adventure and you don't know what the next adventure is going to bring.

Good luck.

Jack & Sandi

Hi Jack & Sandi,

The machine had 10,060 when it happened. I was planning on changing the 4 bearings this summer. Now they are done.

This was our 4th 2 week trip with this machine. I have been tweaking things and finally feel happy with it. I changed the a arms last season to Slicast with bronze bushings.

I put 6.9 ski's on this season and now it handles much better. We have limited trail time each season so it's tuff to get dialed in.

Congratulations on a great season.

Thanks,

Jim and Gemma

Your posts were like a good novel! Man you are resourceful, dumping your sled in deep snow would have been a trip challenge alone, only to be followed by a stranded sled that you had to retrieve alone in middle of the night. I give you your props for sure on that move. Well you just sold me on getting the warn portable sno wench.

Thanks for the awesome adventure story and photos!

Having not ever used a sno wench, I looked it up on their web site. Did you have to secure the wench rope to a tree or some other secure object? I saw the wench and line in your picture, but then the picture cut off not showing what you ended up bracing it to? It looks like the tree line is pretty far off the side of the trail so I was wondering how far off the side of the trail you had to climb? Looks like the wench has 40 foot of rope line and a 25 foot strap. You should have video taped the whole thing as a demonstration training film for novices like me although I am sure doing a documentary was the last thing on your mind at that time! lol

Edited by MXZ700RIDER

Hi Jim & Gemma,

Thanks for another amazing & detailed trip report! I always look forward to reading anything you guys are doing. That was quite the adventure for sure. Do you have Marine training Jim? Going out alone at night to retrieve your sled and then having issues even with no sleep and exhaustion you persevered & succeeded. Kudos big time!!!

I encountered a right ski in the powder that sucked me into the deep & buried myself yesterday 8 miles west of the lumber mill. I will be buying a Warn winch next week!

Great pics of it all to boot! And your ability to remember it all with detail is amazing.

Thanks again,

Tom

Your posts were like a good novel! Man you are resourceful, dumping your sled in deep snow would have been a trip challenge alone, only to be followed by a stranded sled that you had to retrieve alone in middle of the night. I give you your props for sure on that move. Well you just sold me on getting the warn portable sno wench.

Thanks for the awesome adventure story and photos!

Having not ever used a sno wench, I looked it up on their web site. Did you have to secure the wench rope to a tree or some other secure object? I saw the wench and line in your picture, but then the picture cut off not showing what you ended up bracing it to? It looks like the tree line is pretty far off the side of the trail so I was wondering how far off the side of the trail you had to climb? Looks like the wench has 40 foot of rope line and a 25 foot strap. You should have video taped the whole thing as a demonstration training film for novices like me although I am sure doing a documentary was the last thing on your mind at that time! lol

I think the hardest part is getting to the tree line in deep snow to snap a branch off the tree to bring back and stick in the snow in front of the sled to secure the winch line to. After that just hit the easy button on the dash, pop a cold one and watch the sled pull itself out of the snow. It's a beautiful thing!

Maybe it's better to have the better-half perched in back on the snow-throne, to remind one to keep the "every'ting is gonna be al'right" focus?

Maybe, but hell, that solo recovery with the 3rd bridge hang up was all you buddy. No choices can certainly help with the decision making process.

All pics and notes were appreciated, most of all the shot of Dominic's yellow steel box that you generously called a "toboggan". YOU DA MAN! :good:

Maybe it's better to have the better-half perched in back on the snow-throne, to remind one to keep the "every'ting is gonna be al'right" focus?

Maybe, but hell, that solo recovery with the 3rd bridge hang up was all you buddy. No choices can certainly help with the decision making process.

All pics and notes were appreciated, most of all the shot of Dominic's yellow steel box that you generously called a "toboggan". YOU DA MAN! :good:

Hi David,

The steel box is what Dominic uses to groom. He unhitched it and connected the toboggan that night.

When I got up in the morning he had swapped back the grooming sled. He groom's all the way to the bridge over the Gatineau river.

I think the hardest part is getting to the tree line in deep snow to snap a branch off the tree to bring back and stick in the snow in front of the sled to secure the winch line to. After that just hit the easy button on the dash, pop a cold one and watch the sled pull itself out of the snow. It's a beautiful thing!

I have several straps and shackles because you never know where you will find a tree (about 200ft all together). Getting to the tree line can be a challenge. That took 2 different angles to get it out.

Last years adventure in Cote Nord. 25 miles from Havre-St-Pierre. At the street crossing the trail disappeared. I managed to get stuck again and that was it for day light. The Mrs made me take the street back to the hotel from the beach.

Day%204%202015_zpsnybrxz4o.jpg

IMG_1333_zpsdbfuwydw.jpg

Jim and Gemma, I have to tell you are real solids one!!! you push the adventure where not much people would follow you and you proved to be well prepared and skill to face the unexpected and succeed each time to keep going and get out of troubles. I raise my hat to you both.

Your report is outstanding, very well done and interesting. You know there are much more than an hundred pics in it!!! so interesting that a would have take even more, very very nice.

Thank you very much to share all those adventure with us, love it!

Alain