Shawinigan 3/11-3/13

Triggerhappy

Decided to take another trip up with some friends last Friday. I knew it was getting warmer, but the trails were fantastic.

Friday...

Drove up, got settled in and took a ride east out of Shawingan. Local to 3 to 351 north. Turned around and went to Relais Station for lunch. From there took local over to 3 and down to 351 and followed it along rt 40. That trail was incredible. Continued on to 302 and took that until it met 3 again and went west on that. Stopping at the Bissonnette where we were the only ones there and talked with the lovely bartender (she spoke very good English). Then took 3 all the way back to the local into the Hotel Drakkar. 160 miles and 159 of them were fantastic. We order some food in and had a nice time with our group and the owners.

Saturday.....

Today we were going to meet up with Iceman and ride west. Met up with him at the trail 3 intersection and I had a plan of where we would like to go based on the groomers report that morning. He says lets do it. So we head out and the trails were all recently groomed. We head west (south) on trail 3 and at 63 we take a nice long dead ender (Iceman said it was a nice trail to run there and back). He wasn't wrong! it was a great trail. We all loved it. back on 63 west and the trails were still fantastic. Passed by where a bad accident recently took place and the cleanup was still under way. Hopefully the rider will be ok, but it did not look like it would be a positive outcome. Got to see some water falls and take some pics. Beautiful day. Then we ran into a bit of an issue. My girlfriend was riding behind me and as she crossed a set of train tracks at 2mph she hit the side ice bank weird which threw her off the sled and landed on her hand and side. The sled never tip over or anything. A slow freak accident, but she was hurt. After a few minutes she got on her sled and continued on very slow as I sent the others ahead and stayed with her. We turned onto trail 349 and wanted to get to the microbrewery for lunch and I was going to make arrangements to get her taken care of. She made it the 10 miles. Here is where Iceman was an incredible help! He tried calling his wife to see if she could come get her. No answer so he called "Reggie" at Hotel Drakkar and he said he would come out and get her and the sled! I told him where my truck keys were and he drove out and got her. My buddies wife was nice and agreed to ride with her and Reggie back to the hotel. so loaded their sleds and sent them on their way. After that the 5 of us set a nice quick pace back to the Hotel (about 65 miles away). Trails were still in great shape. Very little traffic for a Friday. Most must of thought the season was over! lol Back to the hotel and Belinda was icing her hand and Nancy (Reggies wife) went out and bought her a brace. Unbelievable! We invited Iceman and his wife (yes she does exist and she is a beautiful and sweet woman) to come over for some drinks and we had a great evening. about 160 miles again on a shortened day.

Sunday....

My girlfriend wanted us to ride a little before we headed home so she said she would stay at the hotel and relax while we took a ride out to get lunch and come back. We headed out of town up 23 to 351 to the local to 3 and went to Chez Roger for lunch it was very good too. The trails.... We were the first tracks on them all the way there and back to the hotel. Perfect. Hard in the morning but nothing the scratchers didn't take care of, but softer and beautiful on the way back. Only about 80 miles, but I felt guilty staying out too long. Loaded up and headed home. Reggie and Nancy let Belinda stay in the room until we left. They were and always have been so accommodating.

After dropping my friends off I parked my rig and jumped in my car with Belinda. Destination..... The hospital. After xrays it showed she broke her pinky and shattered the hand bone (the one to her pinky) in 6 pieces, and cracked a rib. So yesterday (Monday) I took her to the orthopedic and he said that the pieces are aligned well and to see if it will heal like that. if not screws.... So time will tell.

I can't say enough about Reggie and Nancy and what they do for us up there. Do not hesitate to stay with them at Drakkar. And Don (Iceman), you are a true gentleman and such a great person to have in your corner. I want to thank you again for your help. You made a tough situation much easier. Belinda and I are very grateful. I look forward to seeing you again my friend.

Chris

Here is Belinda only 10 minutes before her "mishap"

post-1787-0-26508700-1458056248_thumb.jpg

post-1787-0-29580900-1458056899_thumb.jpg

post-1787-0-36615000-1458056917_thumb.jpg

We wish Belinda a speedy recovery.

It must have been very tough trying to ride with those injuries.

Nice to see you were able to get your truck and trailer. Its fantastic to know the hotel owner has your back. Quebecers are the best.

Great to hear about how good the Drakkar is going, the word will get out and I hope they see alot of sledders next season, alot of us have fond memories. Very sorry to hear about your wifes injuries, hope for a fast recovery. Glad to see you had a LOCAL with you, he really is a great asset to Quebec riders.

Great to hear about how good the Drakkar is going, the word will get out and I hope they see alot of sledders next season, alot of us have fond memories. Very sorry to hear about your wifes injuries, hope for a fast recovery. Glad to see you had a LOCAL with you, he really is a great asset to Quebec riders.

X3

It's through the unexpected that the real one's standout...

Glad to read that the Drakkar is this kind of place. For Iceman i'm not surprise at all, already know it is a gentleman!

Hoping for a speedy recovery for your girlfriend...

Thank you for your report!

Here are a few more pics from that Saturday. You can tell which way the wind blows from that bridge roof.... And a pic of Belinda and I BEFORE her mishap. That microbrewery/restaurant had the BEST soup!

post-1787-0-68190100-1458147400_thumb.jpg

post-1787-0-50834800-1458147448_thumb.jpg

post-1787-0-86826100-1458147467_thumb.jpg

post-1787-0-76786000-1458147492_thumb.jpg

post-1787-0-05259100-1458147508_thumb.jpg

post-1787-0-68615700-1458147517_thumb.jpg

It's through the unexpected that the real one's standout...

Glad to read that the Drakkar is this kind of place.

For Iceman i'm not surprise at all, already know it is a gentleman!

Hoping for a speedy recovery for your girlfriend...

Thank you for your report!

We spoken Alain as always! On all 5 points!

Mrs. Iceman has always been our hero, and Mrs. Trigger riding with a busted hand (and sending you guys back out to ride) earns full lifetime membership!

Wishing bonne santé rapide!

I have a hero at home also. Anyone who has a spouse to tolerate this hobby/sport is my hero, if they participate even better. No doubt Mrs Iceman can easily rise to the occasion and make things happen, her hubby sets the bar high. :drinks:

Edited by markusvt

Mrs. Ice"Woman" is the better half I think! lol

Iceman was a great help and it was nice to finally meet the Mrs. It was a good night after a tough afternoon.

Belinda did tough it out for a little bit to get to a place where we could get her picked up. Maybe 10 miles. Her hand at the lunch stop did not look good at all.

A freak little accident. She can blast down the lake at 100mph and follow me right along in the trails, but let her go 1mph over a set of train tracks and ...... lol She is on the mend and thanks for the well wishes. She felt really bad for messing up the Saturday afternoon ride and didn't want to keep us from riding on Sunday. I felt guilty though going out.

Probably true Chris on the better half.

Let it be known. Belinda is a trooper, and all the ladies in the Triggerhappy crew certainly are "riders" no doubt. They can all ride.

Certainly was a "freak little accident" and could happen to anyone.

Heal up Belinda.

Probably true Chris on the better half.

Let it be known. Belinda is a trooper, and all the ladies in the Triggerhappy crew certainly are "riders" no doubt. They can all ride.

Certainly was a "freak little accident" and could happen to anyone.

Heal up Belinda.

Exact same thing happened to me a couple years ago up around Mt Valin. Crossing tracks in town about 2 mph and the dooly's squared up to the rail and stopped me instantly, throwing me up and off the sled. Hurt like hell and was completely unexpected. I now have a fear of crossing tracks and always try to make sure I cross with as little weight on the skies as possible. My ribs were sore for a couple days from the handlebar contact but otherwise I was spared anything broken.

Wow....she rode 10 miles with a cracked rib and broken hand! She is a tough bird I must say.....can only imaging how much that hurt! My wife rolled her sled going about 5mph a few years ago when following me and riding the berm of a road (which was the only legal way to a restaurant.) The sled kind of tipped when she lost some balance and accidently leaned on the throttle which caused the sled to buck and roll onto the road. Very low speed event, but she ended up half under the sled on the road with traffic very close to her! Fortunately she was more upset than hurt....could have been really a lot worse. Speedy recovery wishes got out to your gf. She is a trooper!

Edited by MXZ700RIDER