Antique Ride: Any Interest?

mikerider

Andyman, myself and others on Quebecrider have been riding since the 1960's or some the 1970's. I've always wanted an antique sled, but then I slap myself back to reality and realize I would never do anything other than look at it sitting in the garage. I think back to those early days of our sport as being the most fun, the most exciting. I put 4,000 miles on a 1971 440 Sachs Puma with no breakdowns in 1971. Some new sleds can't match that. 

So, how cool would it be to do a week trip out on the Gaspe on sleds of the '60's and early 70's. What a trip to end our golden years! What a story.

The logistics are simple. We need several willing people. We need someone to drive a truck and trailer to pick up the broken sleds. Lots of pictures. Lots of beer and wine. Lots of sore body parts.  Maybe an early January trip so as not to interfere with our regular riding season,

So what to you think? Any interest?  

mike

Hi Mike, sounds interesting, but I sold my Elite this week. Who knows, maybe I will have another soon. I will keep it in my thoughts.And your statement about What a trip to end our golden years, That trip may end your golden years.

I'd put that Yamaha Enticer against any new sled for dependability and getting around the Gaspe.

But Steve is right, a trip like that would probably be an end to our golden years. And riding an Elite would be like cheating!

mike

Well,  if  Y'all really want to do this, I maybe be interested in the "Support " side of things. What about just in the Eastern  Townships with all those club houses.  Anybody remember the Relais  La Maison B in St Helene south of Victoriaville. They used to have a big ride in party - bash, last week in Feb every year. 50 - 60- 70 vintage sleds. Its been awhile since I been by that place.

I've seen a lot of sleds of the late 70's and '80's around Levy on weekends in past winters.  When you start talking '80's there are actually some pretty dependable sleds out there.

Late '60's and very early '70's makes it a lot more interesting. And some of the sleds back then are still being sold at a reasonable price, around a grand.  Maybe around the Gaspe is a bit too optimistic, maybe several hundred miles, we have to have a 'wow' factor in there. So maybe we have a support driver, just need a half dozen riders!

30 mph for ten hours a day is 300 miles a day, right?  lol

Count me in Mike, however I will be joining you on my old 2010 Renegade!

I may be getting older and maybe a little wiser..... I know what the trails can be like if the groomer is a couple days late. 2010 is as old a suspension I would chance it on LOL

5 hours ago, mikerider said:

I've seen a lot of sleds of the late 70's and '80's around Levy on weekends in past winters.  When you start talking '80's there are actually some pretty dependable sleds out there.

Late '60's and very early '70's makes it a lot more interesting. And some of the sleds back then are still being sold at a reasonable price, around a grand.  Maybe around the Gaspe is a bit too optimistic, maybe several hundred miles, we have to have a 'wow' factor in there. So maybe we have a support driver, just need a half dozen riders!

30 mph for ten hours a day is 300 miles a day, right?  lol

If I had my 74 440 EL TIGRE I would be in....That thing got beat on and never broke...

2 hours ago, smclelan said:

Count me in Mike, however I will be joining you on my old 2010 Renegade!

I may be getting older and maybe a little wiser..... I know what the trails can be like if the groomer is a couple days late. 2010 is as old a suspension I would chance it on LOL

I'm with Steven, does a 2017 Renegade qualify???

It would appear that I have to continually sweeten the pot, bribe and beg to get some of you on board. 

So final offer: (Hopefully watered down enough that even Steven can do it)

**************TWO LAPS AROUND THE UNIVERSAL HOTEL IN RDL ON AN ANTIQUE SLED**********                                                                                                                                  *********************Round of Beers  for All Participants  in the Bar on Me (Incl support driver)*************                                                                                                                               ************************A Plaque Honoring Each of You for Participating in This Death defying Adventure********                                                                                                                      **************************On QuebecRider, Participants Will be Listed as LEGENDS Under Their User Names***************

Got a 64 Alpine sitting out behind the garage. My plan has been to fully restore it as it reminds me of my first sled, a 64 Olympic. I might be in my golden years by the time it gets finished, even if it was finished now, I'm sure it would take me into my golden years to go around Gaspe at the speed it goes.!

10 hours ago, mikerider said:

'64 Olympique was first sled I ever drove. Can't remember if it was a Kohler 4 stroke or 8 HP two stroke.

Got my own brand new Olympique in '65.

mike

My Olympic was a 14 hp Rotax. The Alpine was a 7 1/2 Rotax by the serial # but I bought it with no engine in the early 80's and put a 339 Citation motor in it. I don't think either machine topped 30mph. My back gets sore just thinking about the -2 inch suspension.