St-Zenon/St-Donat 3 january 2012

towing

Yesterday monday 2/1/2012, Krikri and I started our ride from the Domaine Bazinet, north from Ste-Émilie de l'Énergie near St-Zenon

NOTE: sorry, I realize some of my pics are dated 2011 because I have one of my camera with a wrong date... my fault but those are all yesterday pics

1SC00038.jpg

We got a mix of cloud, snow and sun… sometimes all at the same times!!! Here our path…

1_2janv12.jpg

Trail condition was amazing at start on the #63 north...

1SC00042.jpg

1SC00045.jpg

We then switched in Coin Lavigne direction to reach the park. Even good on this side…

1SC00068.jpg

1SC00075.jpg

the 2 -3 inches of new snow is like the ice on the cake…

1SC00077.jpg

Even the big hills were nice...

1SC00088.jpg

1SC00086.jpg

the Coin Lavigne...

1SC00093.jpg

to be continued...

Edited by towing

We switched to the right in the Mont-Tremblant Park

DSC00017.jpg

Again, nice conditions. Snow tend to blow out a bit on some curves as usual in the park but other than that, nice!

DSC00024-2.jpg

DSC00027.jpg

Good trail and snowy scenery...

DSC00033.jpg

DSC00035.jpg

We then switched in St-Donat direction. There was some sand that tend to mix with snow in some spot. Here the Cyprès relay

DSC00054.jpg

We ride to the Caribou park gate. The snow is a bit dirty in some curves and bumpy but ok

DSC00060.jpg

Not perfect but so beautiful

DSC00080-1.jpg

DSC00083-1.jpg

We then crossed the junction with the new #33 trail. We decided to go to St-Donat for the lunch..

DSC00104.jpg

The new trail path is very interesting but the traffic had beat up the trail, very ruff.

DSC00107.jpg

DSC00131.jpg

There was enought snow to have decent trail, it was simply not groomed in the last days. We figure that we have to be understanding… we are on the 2 january, it was holiday yesterday and the season just started… So we managed to reach St-Donat Village. We had tried to go to Cuillere a Pot for the lunch but the regular trail was blocked and we did not found the trail detour that was not marked yet. We finally took our lunch at Mr Pizza just near the Ultramar gaz station. I think they just need a couple more day here to complete the trail opening and grooming, hoping the Archambeault lake will be safe soon.

DSC00130.jpg

After a good meal and fuel up, we step back in reverse direction…

DSC00137.jpg

We then went at the last intersection and took the new #33 trail in St-Côme direction

DSC00144.jpg

Excellent choice, back on nice trail conditions

DSC00157.jpg

DSC00162.jpg

During the day, I stopped few times to remove some potatoes rocks from the trail like I do each years but considering that the trail just opened few days ago it’s pretty good for our area

DSC00166.jpg

We switched here in St-Côme direction. This big sign mention to be careful because there are no signs yet on the next 15 miles of new trail. Be careful, it’s true…

DSC00180.jpg

DSC00202.jpg

The trail path is interesting, mainly mountain trail with curves but widely groomed with good visibility…

DSC00188.jpg

DSC00190.jpg

DSC00191.jpg

And we finally got just behind Coin Lavigne...

DSC00213.jpg

We decided to continu on the new #33 trail. We rode a bit of the morning trail but kept the #33 north at the next junction. The new #33 trail take there an old local trail from few years. Maybe some of you will recognize this first part where the trail follow a little river, very nice

DSC00225.jpg

DSC00228.jpg

Even good trail there

DSC00243.jpg

At the next junction, we quit the new #33 to take the #343 to St-Zenon (in fact we continued on the old trail path) there was around 3 miles of ungroomed trail (bumpy but short) and got on groomed nice trail after on the path of the old #63 trail

DSC00253.jpg

We then switched in Glaciere direction…

DSC00264.jpg

And continued after la Glaciere on the #63 south to reach our starting point

DSC00284.jpg

Good conditions and very snowy

DSC00299.jpg

Back at the trailer with 130 miles on the dream meter, not a big ride for us but a nice one.

To conclude, it’s still a season beginning but I have been nicely surprised how good it was considering trails just opened and we got a couple warm day just before, in the holiday traffic. You may encounter some rocks or dirty spots but all in all it is good. Hoping the cold we have now keep on (high minus 15C today), the groomers will have the conditions to shape good trails and finished the trails opening that was not completed yet. They begin to open trails a bit souther like St-Gabriel de Brandon/ St-Jean de Matha but there’s not enough snow yet to give good conditions there. On the other side, north from Taureau Reservoir like Repos trail have been reported good conditions.

Can’t wait to the next week end…

Bye :drinks:

Alain

DSC00299.jpg

Back at the trailer with 130 miles on the dream meter, not a big ride for us but a nice one.

To conclude, it's still a season beginning but I have been nicely surprised how good it was considering trails just opened and we got a couple warm day just before, in the holiday traffic. You may encounter some rocks or dirty spots but all in all it is good. Hoping the cold we have now keep on (high minus 15C today), the groomers will have the conditions to shape good trails and finished the trails opening that was not completed yet. They begin to open trails a bit souther like St-Gabriel de Brandon/ St-Jean de Matha but there's not enough snow yet to give good conditions there. On the other side, north from Taureau Reservoir like Repos trail have been reported good conditions.

Can't wait to the next week end…

Alain

Alain

Thanks a lot for the good report. It is good to see that the "new 33" over to Coin Lavigne turned out so well. That's a great bridge crossing the little river into Coin Lavigne. Do you know who will groom that new section? Notre Dame or St-Donat?

As always, I appreciate your reports and pics!

:good:

timbo

DSC00299.jpg

To conclude, it’s still a season beginning but I have been nicely surprised how good it was considering trails just opened and we got a couple warm day just before, in the holiday traffic. You may encounter some rocks or dirty spots but all in all it is good. Hoping the cold we have now keep on (high minus 15C today), the groomers will have the conditions to shape good trails and finished the trails opening that was not completed yet. They begin to open trails a bit souther like St-Gabriel de Brandon/ St-Jean de Matha but there’s not enough snow yet to give good conditions there. On the other side, north from Taureau Reservoir like Repos trail have been reported good conditions.

Can’t wait to the next week end…

Alain

Alaine,you are a GREAT help with you'r pics and reports ! We are going to be at Real' Masse on the 15 th for a week and thing s look better than expected !!

Thanks ,Pipemaster

Thank you gang :drinks:

Thanks for the report Alaine.

I am heading there early in the morning tomorrow from Ottawa. The plan is to start from St. Donat and do a similar loop... looks like the conditions are perfect.

The conditions are not perfect but it's a good start at least. Snow cover is 12" to 15". For you and toy4dan,I know from the french forums comments that trails toward Notre-dame de la Merci are thinner with more rocks, also for St-Côme stay north from Coin Lavigne. I don't know how St-Donat recover with the grooming but I would expect average conditions or better. The new #33 and the park have been reported good today. We have very cold temp yesterday and today (high minus 15C) but there is also pretty much traffic because the playground is small. I also seen reported rocky spots a couple miles around St-Michel. The #345 to Repos north from the dam have been reported good. I really hope for more snow to enlarge the playground and spreading the traffic a bit...

Have a good trip and ride carefully guys!!!

Alain

Thanks a lot for the good report. It is good to see that the "new 33" over to Coin Lavigne turned out so well. That's a great bridge crossing the little river into Coin Lavigne. Do you know who will groom that new section? Notre Dame or St-Donat?

As always, I appreciate your reports and pics!

:good:

timbo

Thanks timbo. From the comments of "lougarou" which is a groomer operator from NDM on CMIQ forum, the new #33 from NDM to Coin Lavigne is groomed by them (NDM).

looks great for this time of year we have almost no snow here , season may never start here

Keep hoping !!! we are just the 4 january... Sometimes it changed fast (on either side) but keep positive :drinks:

Alain