Electronic Mapping Question

revrnd

In light of the OFSC's decision to not support the Ontario version of TrakMaps there has been a lot of teeth gnashing online. There is still the GoSnowmobiling & BRP Go apps. I'm curious how the FCMQ handles the PQ version TrakMaps, the iMotoneige and BRP Go apps.

I'm not really sure what percentage of Ontario riders use electronic maps, nor how that is split GPS vs cellular based app. I'm only familiar with the A-T region, so I can't say how much of your system isn't covered by cell service. I'm sure in those areas, the GPS is the way to go.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

In my case, I record my trips w/ my GPS, but I don't 'depend' on it for navigation. 

Edited by revrnd

20 hours ago, revrnd said:

In light of the OFSC's decision to not support the Ontario version of TrakMaps there has been a lot of teeth gnashing online. There is still the GoSnowmobiling & BRP Go apps. I'm curious how the FCMQ handles the PQ version TrakMaps, the iMotoneige and BRP Go apps.

It does not look like the Quebec ATV Association recognizes Polaris Ride Command, hard to say how snowmobile/ATV mapping will be shared in the future.  Could end up being only who the Federations decide to partner with.

15 hours ago, smclelan said:

It does not look like the Quebec ATV Association recognizes Polaris Ride Command, hard to say how snowmobile/ATV mapping will be shared in the future.  Could end up being only who the Federations decide to partner with.

Not sure about ATV, but snowmobile trails work in Quebec. At least they did last year.

On 1/2/2024 at 6:09 PM, smclelan said:

The OFSC shuts down the online version of the ITG at the end of the season. I'm not sure about the app. There is some grumbling from trip planners, but the thought is it keeps ATVs exploring trails on private property.

On 1/2/2024 at 6:09 PM, smclelan said:

Too bad the Quebec Federation didn't partner with BRP GO. That is the ski doo app that is used in conjunction with the map feature on the new Ski Doo's, you know, the ones built right in Quebec..?  I would love to see the IMotoneige app on my dash.

Edited by NSHM

56 minutes ago, gowser said:

I run a Garmin Zumo with track maps. Works fine everywhere including QC. Used it 2 weeks ago in Valin. Also run the FCMQ app on the phone but that doesn't work without a cell signal so great to have the Zumo / track maps. 

We have always been able to use the app without a cell signal. Did something change this year?

On 1/11/2024 at 1:38 PM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I don't understand how a cell phone app could ever work properly without a cell phone signal.

Like snobeeler said,it works off the GPS in your phone. Check it out next time you are in the bush. Cannot use all the features but the mapping is there

I have noticed the last couple of years that my location does not update on the app all the time.  Has anyone else noticed this happening?  Am I missing something?