Tour Accross Top of Quebec

ChrisWright

Hello all. Looks like winter might be thinking about setting in.......Great News!!!! Wanted to see if anyone could help me. We are thinking about doing a tour this year, which includes the top part of Quebec and I am not sure about gas. None of us currently have gas caddy's and can safely make it 120 miles or 193 kilometers on a tank of gas.

Here's the basic route:

St. Zenon up to Manawan on 33 then North.

Pick up 83 and head towards ValDor

Grab 93 and Head East across the top over to Saint Jeanne

Then Secondary 355 to La Tuque and back down to St. Zenon.

Is there fuel and lodging across the top (93) to do this?

I have been looking at the interactive map within the FCMQ and there's not much showing, but figured I would check here to see if anybody has done this or can offer any suggestions.

Thanks so much and Happy Holidays!!

Hello all. Looks like winter might be thinking about setting in.......Great News!!!! Wanted to see if anyone could help me. We are thinking about doing a tour this year, which includes the top part of Quebec and I am not sure about gas. None of us currently have gas caddy's and can safely make it 120 miles or 193 kilometers on a tank of gas.

Here's the basic route:

I have been looking at the interactive map within the FCMQ and there's not much showing, but figured I would check here to see if anybody has done this or can offer any suggestions.

Yes places to stay and gas - ... watch the long stretch from Chibougamao(??) down, just make sure you stop at the saw mill for gas on the way to La Dore unless they have added gas since I went around! You miss it and you are not making it !!.

Edited by mcstar

Here's the basic route:

If you make this trip give us details! I have been wanting to do that loop. I have been riding Quebec for a long time but I am new to saddle bagging! I did an overnighter from St Zenon to Manawan and up to the Tamarak last year and just returned the next day, but took a little different route back. Let us know where you stayed, mileage each day and fuel stops. Good luck!

Hi Chris, welcome to Quebecrider. There are plenty of gas stops up there, I recommend going on the FCMQ site and in each region you can request a trail map. The regional map shows alot more detail esp. services than the main Quebec national map. If you can go at least 100 miles on a tank you will be OK just pay attention and know which ones you can't pass. I have done that trip often, although I do prefer taking the 369 from lac du Repos instead of staying on the 33 through Manwan. It is a little longer but usually much better trail. Gas can be had at Repos,Lac Chateauvert,Casey, and Parent. This route from St. Zenon is about 275 miles to Clova. From Clova you can usually gas at Balbuzard Sauvage then Lac Faillon, and Senneterre. If you are going to take 93 from Senneterre toward Chibougamau you should gas at Lebel sur Quevillon. After that there always has been gas at Miquelan and I would definitely top off there. I think it is like 90 or close to 100 miles from there to Chapais where the trail passes right pass the gas station. A word of caution, the 93 from Quevillon to Chapais is an abandoned rail bed. You will have to leave the bed at Miquelan to gas so watch for it. The gas is 100 yds. off the trail but if you are flying you will miss it. After you pass Chibougamau there are only 2 fuel stops before Ladore, you may be able to pass the first one but you must stop at the sawmill it is referred to as Scicerie 54 and the trail passes right through. Then you can easily make it to LaDore. If you do take the 33 on the first day all the way to 13 then on the way home you should take 83 west from St. Hedgewich over through relay 22 past Wemotaci (all of these are gas stops) then watch for 369 south. This trail is def. one not to miss, usually great conditions and scenery. There are rooms at Kanawata, Chateauvert, and Repos as well as gas. If you think you want to stay at Kanawata call ahead it is a beautiful place but sometimes books up. Good luck and let us know how it goes. P.S. we like pics :yahoo:

Hi Chris, welcome to Quebecrider. There are plenty of gas stops up there, I recommend going on the FCMQ site and in each region you can request a trail map. The regional map shows alot more detail esp. services than the main Quebec national map. If you can go at least 100 miles on a tank you will be OK just pay attention and know which ones you can't pass. I have done that trip often, although I do prefer taking the 369 from lac du Repos instead of staying on the 33 through Manwan. It is a little longer but usually much better trail. Gas can be had at Repos,Lac Chateauvert,Casey, and Parent. This route from St. Zenon is about 275 miles to Clova. From Clova you can usually gas at Balbuzard Sauvage then Lac Faillon, and Senneterre. If you are going to take 93 from Senneterre toward Chibougamau you should gas at Lebel sur Quevillon. After that there always has been gas at Miquelan and I would definitely top off there. I think it is like 90 or close to 100 miles from there to Chapais where the trail passes right pass the gas station. A word of caution, the 93 from Quevillon to Chapais is an abandoned rail bed. You will have to leave the bed at Miquelan to gas so watch for it. The gas is 100 yds. off the trail but if you are flying you will miss it. After you pass Chibougamau there are only 2 fuel stops before Ladore, you may be able to pass the first one but you must stop at the sawmill it is referred to as Scicerie 54 and the trail passes right through. Then you can easily make it to LaDore. If you do take the 33 on the first day all the way to 13 then on the way home you should take 83 west from St. Hedgewich over through relay 22 past Wemotaci (all of these are gas stops) then watch for 369 south. This trail is def. one not to miss, usually great conditions and scenery. There are rooms at Kanawata, Chateauvert, and Repos as well as gas. If you think you want to stay at Kanawata call ahead it is a beautiful place but sometimes books up. Good luck and let us know how it goes. P.S. we like pics :yahoo:

I read this and marvel that I am giving YOU GPS advice.

:lol: thanks again for the info. Jack, the sad part is I have been using an etrex legend for quite a few years for hunting. I guess one of my problems is I really don't know for sure what I am looking for out of a GPS on my sled. I really am not going to spend any time before a trip trying to map it out because we don't ride that way, we get as far as we do in a day weather that is 175 miles or 375 miles then we stop and get a room. I always figured I had to follow the trail markers anyway so why a GPS but we have gotten ourselves into trouble before and it would be nice to have some backup. I don't know I just hope I don't get myself into more trouble with this thing. Anyway it will be a fun new toy for sure. :drinks:

Thanks to all providing responses. The information is much appreciated and will be taken under advisement. My group loves hearing about the "must ride" trails, those make for an awesome journey. Will keep you posted. Tentatively planning the run for late January, unless Maine gets some snow, which then we will probably do Maine and the Gaspesie.

Always welcome to more input.

The Gaspesie is a must do snowmobile region for sure, I have traveled there myself dozens of times. However one of my most memorable Quebec trips was one similar to the one you have spoke of, through western Quebec. Be sure to do both, they are completely different snowmobiling and both spectacular.

On a heavy wet snow day, three of us ran out on the rail bed all within a few miles of 75 miles. The three sleds were a 600-ETEC, 600-SDI, 800R. The Yammi made it to the gas stop. We had spare gas.

Hey Scorpionbowl! And who was the lucky man riding the Yammi???

This is actually a pretty easy trip. And when the trails are well groomed, it is an excellent ride.

Between Chibougamau and Saint Feliciem there is a mill you MUST stop for gas at. Don't let the distance scare you.

This is actually a pretty easy trip. And when the trails are well groomed, it is an excellent ride.

Between Chibougamau and Saint Feliciem there is a mill you MUST stop for gas at. Don't let the distance scare you.

Just an FYI Last stop before heading towards the lumber mill on 93 for gas is in La Dore.

I did the big loop Abitibi-Chibougamau-Roberval for the last 3 winters. Last year the gas station in Miquelon was up for sale. You couldn't buy gas whenever you wanted. Their business hours were very limited. Monday to friday they were closing at 11:00 a.m. and closed on the weekends. As we speak, I don't know if Miquelon gas station is still in business. Last winter when we stopped at the chapais snowmobile club relay, the owner told me that they would look into it regarding gas availability between Quévillon and Chapais. 3 years ago we missed Miquelon but made it to Quévillon. At scierie 54 the cafeteria is open between 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.(if I remember).

Here's some mileage for you

Senneterre-Quévillon +- 62 mi.

Quévillon-Miquelon +- 46 mi.

Miquelon -Chapais +- 84 mi.

Chapais-Chibougamau +- 27 mi.

Chibougamau-Scierie 54 +- 98 mi.

Scierie 54-La Doré +- 58 mi.

I guess if Miquelan is closed you would have to ride into Waswanipi. We did that years ago on our first trip up there just to be safe, its pretty far off the trail but if you have to it's there.

Yeah last year we met some guys at Miquelan from Waswanipi, they told us of talk of improving the trail into Waswanipi and of a hotel? I been there and who knows what will go on. I sure hope someone keeps Miquelan open.

Yeah last year we met some guys at Miquelan from Waswanipi, they told us of talk of improving the trail into Waswanipi and of a hotel? I been there and who knows what will go on. I sure hope someone keeps Miquelan open.

Yea for sure iceman, esp. for the guys coming from chapais down. They are coming in blind and if they pass Waswanipi expecting to stop at Miquelan they will be in trouble. Hopefully the Chapais club would post a warning in this case.

We have already made it from Senneterre to Chapais with tour buddy's, a Mach Z and a 600 SDI, both get good mileage and it was not soft. Coming from Chibougamau to La Doré we also did not stop at Relay Du Nord or the logging camp and my partner ran out, on the Mach z, crossing the road to the gas in La Doré, there was 2 - 3 inches of new snow and he was leading. 4 gallons of extra fuel goes a long way.