anybody been to the Gouin reservoir yet?

easyrider

No firm plans yet. We are going to be in the general area though and when we are we seem to end up there. Saw a wolf in the parking lot last time. I've never done the ride across but I want to someday. If anyone has some tracks from there Garmin crossing the reservoir I would love to see them.

Edited by easyrider

I did not see it with my own eyes, however, when we were in Clova last week end, I was told that Gyslain (the owner of Martin) was not going to stake the route this year. :sorry: Unless you hook up with the GPS maps, I would not dare get on the ice without the stakes. Also, worth taking note of the forecast for the day, any snow squalls would make for an interesting day, even with the GPS tracks. :help:

Cheers

Last season the guys install 700 red post, this year none

Talk with Yves Bordeleau ( Gouin/Magnan) 1 877 720-8900 about it or Ghyslain from Pourvoirie Martin 819-974-1306

Staying at Barrage Gouin Monday night, just made my reservations. When will you be there? We aren't planning to ride the reservoir, just passing through from Real Masse to Roberval.

Thats a little off route from Real Masse to Roberval.

Barrage Gouin is up and running, and all is good there. 2 very nice groomed, (with a 4 foot wide and a Tundra) trails off the 83, both about 25 miles long. West trail is wider and faster than the east trail.

Not staked this across this year from the Dam to Cova. I would do it, but would not recommend it unless you are fairly comfortable off trail with a GPS and have good range on your gas.

post-464-0-71695800-1358878823_thumb.jpg

Edited by markusvt

My friend took me there over New Years, my first saddlebag trip! We met the owner grooming the trail to our destination. Very nice people!!

I loved it. At the time, you couldn't cross the resivoir. The owners were concerned we would try but that wasn't in our plans. I cannot wait to go back. My friend and his brother are up there now. Here are my pictures from that trip (Dec 31st 2012)

DSC06777.jpg

DSC06783.jpg

DSC06785.jpg

IMG_20121231_081739_195.jpg

IMG_20121231_081821_806.jpg

DSC06787.jpgDSC06789.jpg

Anybody been to the Gouin reservoir yet? How about crossing it? Too soon? Thinking next week.

I just stayed at the Barrage and we rode the reservoir from the Escapade to Obedjiwan and then west to Martin and down to Clova. A word of advice unless you have a reliable GPS with a bright screen and a track from a previous traveler DO NOT DO IT! As mentioned by others there are no stakes and or sled tracks as Martin is closed and the trail from there to Clova was not broken or marked. We had a windy cold day with poor visibility and I am not bs ing it was a challenge to ride into whiteout conditions having never been there and not knowing if there were any areas with bad ice conditions. If you still want to go I have a fresh track in a Garmin format. I will post a track picture soon as I just got home.

Andy

I would love a copy of that track Andy, surprised you even went ahead with weather and all, glad to hear you made it through. I did the reservoir 2 years back but with no GPS there were stakes then,I just started using one last year.