Trip Report, 12/28-30/13 - Shawinigan - Roberval - Jonquiere - Shawinigan

arubenstein

Hello,

Drove up for a quick three day trip.

12/27/13 - Drive from NJ to Escapade in Shawinigan was smooth, dry, and uneventful. First time at the Escapade, it is a great place. Nice rooms, very easy access (like 50 feet off the Autoroute), good parking, very good trail access. Got in a little late so we hunkered down and got some sleep.

12/28/13 - Shawinigan - La Tuque - Relay 22 - Roberval (Local - 23 - 360 - 355 - 73 - 83 - 373 - Local) - Overall a good day. Shawnigan area trails were great; 355/pipeline was ina really good shape foer this early (no washouts at all). La Tuque did not smell as bad as it normally does. The 'new' 73 is a good trail, except for all the twigs sticking out of the ground. Got to relay 22 around 7p and decided to press on to Roberval after some soup and a sandwich. 83 to Roberval is a great trail like usual, but the amount of twigs sticking out of the ground was ridiculous. They need to send a brush hog down there! 265 miles.

12/29/13 - Roberval - Dolbeau - Jonquiere (Local - 373 - 93 - 367 - 383) - Woke up to a snow storm. Snowed all day. Lots of fun. Trails were great. Decided on a short day to get to Delta and have a filet mignon and La Barillet. We encountered "frozen drizzle" 20 miles from Jonquiere which was the craziest thing. It was 0 degrees outside, and it felt like it was sleeting or icing, but whatever it was doing would stick to the helmet sheild and freeze. Had to scrape it off with the gas cap! 156 miles.

12/30/13 - Jonquiere - Etape - St Raymond - Shawinigan (383 - 369 - 23 - 73 - 353 -23 - Local) - Like usual, the Parc was awesome. l'etape was very busy however, had to wait on line for some chicken. But the trails everywere were great. It was cold enough we had to use the St. Raymond club warming hut to thaw out. It was -17F when we go to the truck around 8p. 270 miles.

Overall, 734 miles over mostly good trais. They need to do some trail maintenance on 73 and 83 near Relay 22, but that might fix itself with traffic or more snow. But the twigs were horrendous. For this early in the season, the conditions were out of this world. They had more snow then I've seen in the last couple years. If you haven't been to Canada yet, this may be the year to go,

Heading back up to possibly do the Gaspe or Chibougamou loop on 1/13. Will report back!

Pictures with a map: https://picasaweb.google.com/112509202456692692708/20131227Snowmobiling?authkey=Gv1sRgCJWR1enTrpjpugE

If anyone wants a KMZ file (it won't let me upload it for some crazy reason) let me know and I will send it to you.

Hello,

12/27/13 - Drive from NJ to Escapade in Shawinigan was smooth, dry, and uneventful. First time at the Escapade, it is a great place. Nice rooms, very easy access (like 50 feet off the Autoroute), good parking, very good trail access. Got in a little late so we hunkered down and got some sleep.

12/28/13 - Shawinigan - La Tuque - Relay 22 - Roberval (Local - 23 - 360 - 355 - 73 - 83 - 373 - Local) - Overall a good day. Shawnigan area trails were great; 355/pipeline was ina really good shape foer this early (no washouts at all). La Tuque did not smell as bad as it normally does. The 'new' 73 is a good trail, except for all the twigs sticking out of the ground. Got to relay 22 around 7p and decided to press on to Roberval after some soup and a sandwich. 83 to Roberval is a great trail like usual, but the amount of twigs sticking out of the ground was ridiculous. They need to send a brush hog down there! 265 miles.

12/29/13 - Roberval - Dolbeau - Jonquiere (Local - 373 - 93 - 367 - 383) - Woke up to a snow storm. Snowed all day. Lots of fun. Trails were great. Decided on a short day to get to Delta and have a filet mignon and La Barillet. We encountered "frozen drizzle" 20 miles from Jonquiere which was the craziest thing. It was 0 degrees outside, and it felt like it was sleeting or icing, but whatever it was doing would stick to the helmet sheild and freeze. Had to scrape it off with the gas cap! 156 miles.

12/30/13 - Jonquiere - Etape - St Raymond - Shawinigan (383 - 369 - 23 - 73 - 353 -23 - Local) - Like usual, the Parc was awesome. l'etape was very busy however, had to wait on line for some chicken. But the trails everywere were great. It was cold enough we had to use the St. Raymond club warming hut to thaw out. It was -17F when we go to the truck around 8p. 270 miles.

Overall, 734 miles over mostly good trais. They need to do some trail maintenance on 73 and 83 near Relay 22, but that might fix itself with traffic or more snow. But the twigs were horrendous. For this early in the season, the conditions were out of this world. They had more snow then I've seen in the last couple years. If you haven't been to Canada yet, this may be the year to go,

Heading back up to possibly do the Gaspe or Chibougamou loop on 1/13. Will report back!

Pictures with a map: https://picasaweb.google.com/112509202456692692708/20131227Snowmobiling?authkey=Gv1sRgCJWR1enTrpjpugE

If anyone wants a KMZ file (it won't let me upload it for some crazy reason) let me know and I will send it to you.

Nice report and pics. I have essentially the same truck/trailer combo. :clapping:

Good report. I've been wondering how the new 73 is. Sounds like once the undergrowth is gone it will be an improvement over last year.

Jack

Yeah, scorpionbowl said the same to me. I think the trail would be great, if either they would put a sickle bar on the front of the groomer drag, or send a brush hog down there in the spring. If someone has the hardware, I would absolutely donate the time and even the fuel to drive it to clean the trails. And I am serious.

Something else I forgot is that when we crossed the river in Shawinigan Monday night, there was a drag frozen into the edge of the river. The owner at the Escapade who is apparently involved with the club told us that a groomer and drag fell through the ice and the groomer driver was in the hospital.

Also, Is hould have mentioned we were going to take the river up to Mekinac, but went about a mile or so and decided against only because it was pretty rough and bumpy. It was staked, however.

Do you remember how many miles/Klms the new trail is form La Tuque to Relais 22 and how long it took you?

Do you remember how many miles/Klms the new trail is form La Tuque to Relais 22 and how long it took you?

I created a "garmin adventure" - first time. here it is:

http://adventures.garmin.com/en-US/by/arubenstein/la-tuque-to-relay-22/#.UsYLcbRVV_g

It shows it to be 98.7 miles. This is from the restaurant in La Tuque to the gas pump at relay 22.

I created a "garmin adventure" - first time. here it is:

http://adventures.garmin.com/en-US/by/arubenstein/la-tuque-to-relay-22/#.UsYLcbRVV_g

It shows it to be 98.7 miles. This is from the restaurant in La Tuque to the gas pump at relay 22.

Tell you what, this garmin adventure thing is nifty. Even tells elevation and shows a profile, and how long it took for us to do it. I like it.

Thanks for that Arubenstein really good info there.

I am having a little trouble understanding why other sledders here are saying the new trail is shorter than the old, from my past experiences from La Tuque up to Relais 22 was 130klms about 80miles. Your time is about right Arubenstein it usually took us around 3 hours to get to Relais 22 back then.

Explora is what I use as well and its great, Ive never seen a trail map break a trip down in so much detail. 2 thumbs up

Hello,

Thx for this report.

I'd like to do the same loop later in Jan. I'm trying to cut back the mileage one day 1.....and put the mileage into day 2.

Do you know the approx mileage saved if you stay at Relay 22, RATHER than going all the way to Roberval on day 1?