Braving the cold, January 3-4-5, Mattawin-Gouin-Roberval

markusvt

Friday January 3rd.

-24F in Shawinigan after breakfast. We decided to trailer up and unload in Mattawin and avoid the river at these temperatures. -26F when we headed out of Mattawin! Our destination was Barrage Gouin. We did the 360-M20-345-83 to the AD2. Heading out of Mattawin into the park we used the road for the first 5 miles as it had not been plowed, and we avoided the twisty trail next to the road. It was nice as the trail used to run the road years ago. The M20 was awesome as usual, and the snow looked like Mont Valins. A mile before Repos my awesome LinQ gas tank latch broke, flinging the tank and saddle bag to the trail. The guys found it and picked it up for me, (awesome!). We got gas and lunch and headed out.

The trail to Kanawata was groomed nice, but again the road had not been plowed and most folks had been taking it instead. We topped off and headed north. Driving through Casey is weird with everything all closed up, ghost town now in the winter for sure. The trails had been groomed fresh all day to this point. From here to the 83 there was a ton of snow and the groomer had been through, but not recent. The 83 was west was back on the trail and off the road, but again the road had not been plowed and most folks were taking it. We got to the east trail to Gouin, and no trail! No signs, nothing. We learned later that the trail will not be open this year due to the landowner wanting $2K rent for the season.

We headed west on the 83 to get to the western access trail, AD2, clearly marked and in the same location as the past 2 years. They had this trail groomed dangerously smooth, and I mean dangerously. I think the trail is an old access road or rail bed from building the dam, and there are like 5 bridges missing. He has access around them all, but they come up quick. We arrived and it was -28F, gassed them up and parked for the night. We were supposed to stay in the lodge, but with frozen pipes they put us in a cabin. We ended the day with 216 miles. The meal and beer was awesome as usual.

One last look at the temperature before bed, and it was -38F. We also learned the reservoir will be staked in the next 1.5 weeks. The trail will be different a bit, as some of the smaller land crossings have too many branches down for them to clear. No issues as there is 18-24 inches of ice already.

Braving the cold all day, no one had any trouble sleeping. :acute:

post-464-0-36792900-1389101170_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-79986400-1389101175_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-85096000-1389101193_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-41172200-1389101203_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-47283900-1389101212_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-42920300-1389101250_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-58089500-1389101256_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-88292900-1389101265_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-27819100-1389101294_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-54433300-1389135485_thumb.jpg

Edited by markusvt

Saturday January 4thd

-8F after breakfast in Gouin, a heat wave! Trail had a new 4-6 inches on it, nice! The plan was AD2-83-373 into Roberval. 83 into Wemotaci, (1000 people), 62 miles was really nice the whole way. Ton’s of snow on the road so the bridge crossing was no problem. We pull into town and the gas station was closed, oops. The owner is in the hospital with heart issues, they don’t know when it will open. It looks like the local club house there next to the station sells gas, but we did not check. One of the locals led us to a guy in the neighborhood behind that sells gas for $40 for a 5 gallon can. We bought a few and split them up to go the remaining 66 miles to Relay 22. The 83 to Relay 22 has a TON of snow and smooth, but the groomer had not been though very much yet, so lots of saplings in the trail. They also had some reroutes here and there, no big deal it mainly follows the old trail.

The reroutes are for the better as they grab the nice logging roads when they can. We got gas and an awesome lunch before heading out the last 92 miles. The first 40 miles to the bridge was super fast and fun as always. After that into the clubhouse in Roberval it is a bit twisty as it crosses the logging road a hundred times. Beautiful snow all the way in to the Hôtel Manoir Roberval. This place is $95 for 3, all taxes and breakfast included!

Mid winter conditions, it does not get better. We ended the day with 220 miles, and the temps rose to +5F!

post-464-0-92374100-1389101750_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-62699700-1389101759_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-47166200-1389101788_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-77236000-1389101801_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-37176600-1389101812_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-52726000-1389101823_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-60749800-1389101859_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-83798900-1389135631_thumb.jpg

Edited by markusvt

Sunday January 5th

Mission, Roberval back to Mattawin via 373-83-355-LT1-355-360. It was +15F when we left, and it felt hot, we had to shed a few layers. The 83 and the 355 to Lac Bouchette was groomed fresh and very wide. Nice, nice trail. We filled them up and headed down the 355 all the way to Lac Edouard. Again, this was fresh groomed all the way to the lake! Nicest run of the trip for sure. About 10 miles or so from Domaine Lac Edouard coming south, the trail hooks a hard left up a hill, (the groomer goes this way). Lots of folks go straight and hit the road. The road will put you at the tip of the lake and misses a lot of trail. We took the trail and it was awesome, so much snow it was crazy! The trail dumps you out on the lake, where you turn right and go ¼ mile north to Domaine Lac Edouard with zero road riding.

We got gas and food, ($1.57 a liter). Saying the lunch was awesome would be an understatement. The desert was off the charts good! The 9 miles across the lake is marked. It was a bit slushy, but not bad. The trail around the lake looked groomed, but we did not take it. The 355 down to the 73 was also really nice. The 73 was fresh groomed, and we headed up to the LT1 intersection on the left which bypasses La-Tuque. It was groomed narrow, but a really fun 12 mile trail. Twisty most of the way to the railroad overpass, but all good.

Next was the road ride, but wait, big changes. The club put as much of it as they could on the right side of the road, and put it into the power lines where they could also, (new this season). Not quite enough snow on the new trail they cut, but it will be awesome the rest of the winter to be off the road! The pipeline was ridiculous, smooth and very fast and no sleds. The last 10 miles into Mattawin where it crosses the logging operation, there was no logging!

Back to the truck by 3:30 with 211 miles on.

Nice trip, cold but excellent conditions everywhere for sure.

post-464-0-80044400-1389103263_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-44737900-1389135773_thumb.jpg

Edited by markusvt

Great report and pics. Heading up to Gouin in 2 weeks, thanks for the heads up on East access trail. Did you guys jump on the lake heading into Kanawatta, if so was the trail to the south end of the lake marked in any Way? How was the lunch at Repos ??? Had lunch there last year it was the worst meal I ever had in all of Quebec ! One last thing, how were the cabins at Gouin ?We have reservations for lodge, but I see that can change. Thanks Dave L

Nice Run guys.

Interesting the gas info at Wemo. Something to keep an eye on.

The 355 near Lac Edouard where it makes the hard left, straight is nice but if they are logging there not far down turns into a very sanded road. For sure the logging was shut down for holiday break if they are working there.

Pipemaster I have stayed in the Cabins at Gouin and they are just fine. Nothing fancy but clean and comfortable.

Nice Run guys.

Interesting the gas info at Wemo. Something to keep an eye on.

The 355 near Lac Edouard where it makes the hard left, straight is nice but if they are logging there not far down turns into a very sanded road. For sure the logging was shut down for holiday break if they are working there.

Pipemaster I have stayed in the Cabins at Gouin and they are just fine. Nothing fancy but clean and comfortable.

Thanks Iceman,I figured as much. Stayed there a bunch of times,always in the lodge. Great Place and food

Markusvt.....given the new snow when you left The Gouin you could've taken the Relais 22 express to Relais 22, road from Barrage Gouin to Relais 22 is 85klms. Something to keep on file for next time.

Rice ride you guys did, I understand skipping the river but I would've taken the trail up to Mecinac instead of driving up but that just me, some say...well nevermind! Nice ride guys.

Trailblazer. .. looks like you run with a Gps , do you have tracks for the 22 express ?

No tracks necessary, when you leave Gouin by his road you'll come to a T left is Relais 22 Right is Parent.

At Relais 22 main road passes in front of it, from inside looking out go left to Gouin, when you get to Gouin's road you can continue on to Parent another 85klms, get off road at the airport. Parent Express.

Keep in mind you gotta beat the plow , OH! the only sanding done on the road is up hills.

Always an adventure

If you take the road to Kantawata, you don't have the option off the trail to go across the lake. Last year the lake shortcut was not marked in anyway. Easy to do from the Kantawata side, but it pops you out in a turn on the trail with no markings. We have it on GPS so no problem for us. It does cut off some miles and is kind of fun. It goes as straight as can be from Kanawata.

Lunch at Repos is never great, but they try, and they are in the perfect spot for lunch. If you can hang on another 30 miles, go to Kanawata for sure.

Iceman on the money with Gouin. The west trail to Gouin is clearly marked. Use caution as the detours on it come up very quick. It looks like the rain here in the last 24 hours gave him another 40cm of snow there, so he says 4-5 feet on the ground, and I believe it, there is MONSTER snow. He gets a bit more money for the cabins. You have your own kitchen and common area and bathroom. All of them are no more than 80 feet from the back door of the lodge. I prefer the lodge. The shared shower and bathroom are no issue for me.

-26F on the river is no fun, and the twisty goat path in the woods is not always my favorite. We decided to play it smart with the temps and leave the other options for a warmer day!

Edited by markusvt

Nice pics and report Mark, looks like you guys had a blast. Sure was nice years ago when the trail from relay 22 to Roberval ran on the logging road the whole way instead of jumping back and forth. I also remember the first time we stayed at Lac Edouard we stayed at a place called villiage PALE it was at one time a Tuberculosis colony or something like that and then was an insane asylum. There were underground tunnels connecting the buildings and the steam pipes for heat pretty neat.

Thanks! Great report. Definitely could relate to the route and jealous for sure. Might have to try the gouin reservoir and I have the GPS track from Andyman so with that and stakes we should be fine.

Sounds like the trail is changed this year check at the Barrage for an updated track.

Andy

128 miles. Depends a lot on the sled and conditions if you can make it.

What would be an estimate on milage from Kanawata to Relais 22? I would guess around 120-130 Miles. Wondering if you could make it without getting gas in Wemotaci.

Go past the gas station, right at the stop sign, left at the next stop sign, left at the next stop sign, right at the next stop sign. Guy sells it out of his house on the right, house is maybe 1000 feet past the stop sign. With any luck the WEMOGAZ will be open, or you can buy it from the tank at the clubhouse next to the station.

I would go again and not worry too much.

N47 54.279 W73 46.897

post-464-0-33942000-1389636223_thumb.jpg

Edited by markusvt

Thanks. The Etechs would probably make it, but the others may not. Where exactly is the 5 Gallon Gas Station and is it fairly reliable? Probably could get info at the Relais.

Wemotaci and reliable, seems to be a problem at times