On the Move

iceman

Day 7

Taxi to the Ski Doo dealer to start. Sled is fixed Rave Valves were very gummed up. The disassembled and cleaned them and now good to go.

Put the bags on and pulled out of the nice warm Garage.

373 to 83 nicely groomed up. Had to deal with a bit of traffic starting out but we quickly disposed of that.

83 toward 355 also great same deal on the Powerlines there traffic. This is why I do not like Saturday's or Sunday's . Oh well onward.

Arrived at 355 just right passed another bunch of 2 ups at the intersection there. Nice.

Smooth sailing to Lac Bouchette and then off on the 355 direction Lac Edouard. This trail was nice not the best I ever seen it but very acceptable. Again with the 2 ups. Jeez. Took them one by one and moved on. Smooth sailing to

Domaine Lac Edouard for gas. Nice crowd today.

Gas n Go.

Down to 73 and we pass another group at the intersection with 73. Nice.

73 is smooth as hell and we rail it to the LT1 Orange and this one is super. Real nice.

Across to the "pipeline" and we go. Now this one is in ok shape but all the traffic has got some rocks kicked up in quite a few places. Lots of people heading North. I do not understand the fascination with riding the middle of the trail but it was obvious many of these passing North love the center and do not want to move over. Damn. Just crazy.

Just before the train bridge I see Towing on the side of the trail looking under his skid. We stop to see if we can do anything for him but it seems the eye on one of his Shocks in his Boivin skid has broken off.

He says he will take appropriate measures and he has another with him so we continue on to St Joseph.

Took the gas at St Joseph and started down 360 very surprising that this trail was in good shape considering the traffic today. Anyway on down to the 23 and into St Tite then down to M5 to return to TQ3 and on to the Relais Iceman.

Left Ski Doo Roberval around 10am touchdown Relais Iceman at 4pm.

230 miles.

Until next time.

Please keep right. Thank you please.

Unbelievable amount of traffic in RDL also. Thought US folks for free weekend but almost all Canadians at relais's and mostly Canadians at the very packed hotel tonight. (boombox in hallway, dancing, singing, dozens of people, all drinking, yes, all in hallway, worse than hockey weekend!).

Great account of your trip, been following it daily. Thanks for the great read.

mike

Thanks Mike and Snowfarmer.

Sorry but I got no pictures. But if you are a real QC Rider then I believe you all know what it looks like.

Snowfarmer your trip sounded like quite the adventure too. Strange about the truck. I thought about just letting it rip un out of fuel too but was thinking keys were in it and it would kill the battery.

I'm now back home! I had dropped the sled in Champlain area this morning and had planned to sleep at relai22 but yes, at the beginning of the afternoon, the top eye of one of my Boivin rear skid shock broke off and jam in the track. I have manage to remove the whole failed shock from the skid(not easy with the ice in there) and the sled was rideable like that but 1 shock = just one people on the venture, so I trade my wife for my partner backpack and with the very good trail condition we easily ride back to Champlain and Krikri did a Polaris backseat ride.

Thanks for your help offer Iceman, I was a bit mad at wrenching in that skid and froze my hands but your meet put me a smile and your partner stunt when you left give me a big laugh, thanks again my friend!

this said, you seems to have made a very nice run and thanks for your great real time report!

Alain

I'm now back home! I had dropped the sled in Champlain area this morning and had planned to sleep at relai22 but yes, at the beginning of the afternoon, the top eye of one of my Boivin rear skid shock broke off and jam in the track. I have manage to remove the whole failed shock from the skid(not easy with the ice in there) and the sled was rideable like that but 1 shock = just one people on the venture, so I trade my wife for my partner backpack and with the very good trail condition we easily ride back to Champlain and Krikri did a Polaris backseat ride.

Thanks for your help offer Iceman, I was a bit mad at wrenching in that skid and froze my hands but your meet put me a smile and your partner stunt when you left give me a big laugh, thanks again my friend!

this said, you seems to have made a very nice run and thanks for your great real time report!

Alain

Glad you got it back and you all made it out. Sorry you missed out on your overnight run. I wish you Better luck on your next run my friend for sure.

That is snowmobiling when you put on that helmet and go you never know what is next. Plan all you want but what will be will be.

Cest sa.

Edited by iceman

Alain

Sorry to hear about your shock.We used to carry some spare parts(wheels,bearings,springs,skags)but must admit never a shock!

Be careful,now that Krikri has ridden a polaris she may start throwing rocks at yours. :rofl:

We must've crossed paths on Saturday Don as we were heading up the Lac Edward trail 355, had lunch at Le Domaine at 2:30.

Nice trip you had, we had a guy with us that had a compact electronic booster pack, work real well for the -35C mornings. Something to look into for those cold rides.

Roberval to Relais Iceman report sounded like a gas'n go ride all the way down, no lunch break Don???

JG

We must've crossed paths on Saturday Don as we were heading up the Lac Edward trail 355, had lunch at Le Domaine at 2:30.

Nice trip you had, we had a guy with us that had a compact electronic booster pack, work real well for the -35C mornings. Something to look into for those cold rides.

Roberval to Relais Iceman report sounded like a gas'n go ride all the way down, no lunch break Don???

JG

No lunch just ride.

Got to get one of those compact boosters for sure.

We were thru Lac Edouard around 12:30-1pm.

Then we did miss each other as around that time we were on the LT trail between 73 and 355 that comes out at Relais Trappeur.

Your lunch last day was close to Relais Iceman

Eli Tech is the Bombardier just after crossing La Gabelle on TQ 3 I live just before that.

• 2 weeks later...

Day 6

Left Alma this morning in no big hurry as we had all day to get to Roberval.

Put the Battery in the E-Tec and she still was a hard starter but went.

Apex got one hour on the coolant heater and fired right up.

383 then 83 back to 383 and then 23 to Heberville. Gas in Heberville then west on 83 to Orange trail thru St Andre. Past St Andre on Gas line another radio call. Yup check engine again. And when the light comes on it is stuttering, we could live with the light on but it is that when the light is on it misses. So we press on and arrive at Ski Doo in Roberval at 5pm. They take it right inside. Hook it up and it is showing same Rave codes. They are awesome here. They will have the mechanic stay tonigh and take apart rave valves and clean them, (spence should have just done this in the first place) anyhow, in talking with Richard the mechanic and the manager there we learn after 42 years they will loose their concession with BRP in June. Decision made by BRP basically they told them you are done.

Seems very messed up to me.

It is very messed up. Not sure about QC, but I know from personal experience that BRP is leaning hard on the dealers to take on more product. If they don't agree, they are done.

We had a BRP + Yamaha dealership here; nice new building; all the things they want to see - clothes display area, parts/accessories area, clean, modern shop etc., etc In their last year before closing, they sold 100+ SkiDoo and around 100 Yamaha. BRP rep told they they need to take more stock for next model year or they would lose the franchise. They decided it was too big a gamble and ended up closing the whole business :diablo:

I don't profess to be an expert on recreational dealership business operations but this seems very short-sighted to me. I have heard this same tactic retold from people who know about other BRP dealers getting the same pressure. Very messed up! =@

Edited by vt_bluyamaha54

It is very messed up. Not sure about QC, but I know from personal experience that BRP is leaning hard on the dealers to take on more product. If they don't agree, they are done.

We had a BRP + Yamaha dealership here; nice new building; all the things they want to see - clothes display area, parts/accessories area, clean, modern shop etc., etc In their last year before closing, they sold 100+ SkiDoo and around 100 Yamaha. BRP rep told they they need to take more stock for next model year or they would lose the franchise. They decided it was too big a gamble and ended up closing the whole business :diablo:

I don't profess to be an expert on recreational dealership business operations but this seems very short-sighted to me. I have heard this same tactic retold from people who know about other BRP dealers getting the same pressure. Very messed up! =@

Not the first time I've heard of this.

Really hope this apparent trend of forcing out dealers stops.