Cote Nord Team Iceman 6 on 3

iceman

Day 3

That's enough of that. In Escoumins. Left Forrestville 9:30am. Arrived here 1:30. 4 hrs to go 80 miles. Details after, I need a drink or three. Higway 138 closed. Good news for easy run to SAQ here(thank you Playhard) mission accomplished

Not easy.

Here is what we saw today for 4hrs.

post-211-0-93268600-1456947002_thumb.jpeg

Edited by iceman

Day 3

Leaving Forrestville thinking we really must be out of our damn minds. However off we go. It's about worse than I expected. Snowing sideways, upways and ever way. Wind is whipping too.

Funny it's just how they predicted it would be. I'm picking my way but we charge on and we are not doing terrible. Tough to see at the roads but fortunately not too many of em. Big drifts and with snow coming over the widshield it was just lovely, making seeing anything just as likely as me snow shoeing back to Shawinigan. Just can't see which is the biggest issue. Through one drift and the snow covers your helmet shield and gets all on the inside. You got no choice but to stop wipe it out and try again. 1/3 of the way and I am more convinced than ever this was just really a not an intelligent decision to leave in the first place. We are off our rockers. I could have been back in Forrestville watching Jerry Springer for crying out loud. Well too late for that now.

Bonzai we roll on. I aint been stuck yet but it's just a matter of time before the inevitable. I stop to gather up and count the headlights and get word of issues with the Vector running a bit rough. Ok Nothing we can do but press on. A bit further and I lose the sticks on a friggin powerline and I'm down. Not too bad and a quick pack of the snow in front and under the track and the team gives me ski loops a pull and out we go. There were a few other stucks here and there behind me from what they tell me but I have no clue as Snohorse is on my 6 and we are moving. We battle on and it's deep and then deeper. I am floating, this is how it must be like to ride those paddle trackers. But my XTX is no lightweight. Craziness. Blindness. And more Blindness.

Another powerline and another whiteout, no sticks and I am lost as sh** I'm bouncing off the drifts blind and end up sunk big. Up a hill I did not need to be up. Lost.

I look back I'm alone. Snow hammering down wind howling i'm in the open here and stuck bad.

No one coming. Great where are they now. I start to walk around sled to pack it down an sink to my chest. Great. I get out by flipping backwards and rolling out. Start to work on it some more and move to the other side. Down again. One leg sinks way deep the other is bent and I'm stuck now I'm wiggling around trying to swim out and I'm like pissed off now. Who's idea was this anyway. Finally I give up and just close my helmet shield and rest. They will come eventually. I aint getting the sled out alone anyway.

Turns out the Vector was struggling again and Snohorse stopped to wipe his shield then lost my track and got stuck too.

They arrive after 10 minutes and first get me out then we turn our attention to my ride. We pack around it get her pointed down hill and blast her back to where there is supposedly a trail. There must be as I can stand here but the snow is still almost to my knees.

Bust it the last 5 miles into Escoumins and stick a fork in me I am done.

Tomorrow will be just as fun. No doubt.

Glad you all made it in Don! Those are the times that you could lose people. Literally. Not find them until the thaw! Looks like the storm is over and hopefully the groomers will be starting tonight and all day tomorrow! Time for a bain tourbillon & a quart of Jack! Your adventure still beats watching Jerry Springer!

We're on the black trail north tomorrow early.

Have fun all,

Tom

Omg!! You made me laugh, I have been there and done that before! I have a GPS and experience, what could possibly go wrong!! The snow drifts when you tell the story in July will be an Adventure not a nightmare. This whole trip is a wild ride!!

Tomorrow in the drifts when in doubt squeeze the fun flipper!!!

Omg!! You made me laugh, I have been there and done that before! I have a GPS and experience, what could possibly go wrong!! The snow drifts when you tell the story in July will be an Adventure not a nightmare. This whole trip is a wild ride!!

Tomorrow in the drifts when in doubt squeeze the fun flipper!!!

Solid advice will continue to do just that.

I could be swayed pretty easy to make a run out to Havre-Saint-Pierre this year, any takers?

Don't tempt me sir.

I can feel your pain. Riding with the wife this week dug her Vector out just couldn't see the trail but could feel it sometimes.

Feel it no times today until you stop and check if you can stand up or you sink. Edited by iceman

Awesome Iceman ! Really like the fall back and roll , I never tried that one ......I am struggling with where to start from this Saturday seems by Wednesday there is no escaping the big warm up.

Awesome Iceman ! Really like the fall back and roll , I never tried that one ......I am struggling with where to start from this Saturday seems by Wednesday there is no escaping the big warm up.

It was deep.

Up here not as warm but still above zero for sure is the forecast.

Quite an adventure gents. The whiteout conditions, sink, dig, and sink again make for a very long day. More adventure than I'd want now.

We had something similar years ago but we threw in the towel. When day turned to night we still had a ways to get to our beds. We decided to find a sheltered spot, build a fire and hunker down for first light. Called ahead to let them know we wouldn't make it but were OK. A few hours later we see the strobes on the groomer faintly in the distance. By the time we dug the sleds out and turned the groomer around you couldn't see his tracks. I'll never forget that wind! We followed the groomer to his barn, left our sleds there and the operator took us to our truck.

Good luck, be safe, and I'll hope the sun comes back out for your return.

Quite an adventure gents. The whiteout conditions, sink, dig, and sink again make for a very long day. More adventure than I'd want now.

We had something similar years ago but we threw in the towel. When day turned to night we still had a ways to get to our beds. We decided to find a sheltered spot, build a fire and hunker down for first light. Called ahead to let them know we wouldn't make it but were OK. A few hours later we see the strobes on the groomer faintly in the distance. By the time we dug the sleds out and turned the groomer around you couldn't see his tracks. I'll never forget that wind! We followed the groomer to his barn, left our sleds there and the operator took us to our truck.

Good luck, be safe, and I'll hope the sun comes back out for your return.

Wow that there is an adventure. There was only talk once of building a snow cave but it was quickly denied.

I'm in.

Pick me up Phil. Edited by iceman

Wow that there is an adventure. There was only talk once of building a snow cave but it was quickly denied.

Pick me up Phil.

Let me know when. Glad you guys got in.

Playhard and Iceman that picture of the indoor provisions is my kind of picnic ! Like most snowmobile trips you guys got so great photos and stories of one hell of a trip through some nasty weather . I hope today for the last leg of your trip its groomed up a bit .thanks for sharing . I in Quebec City Thursday night , but start out north and east on Saturday . Looking forward to it.

Day 4

Left Escoumins 9am. Broke trail out to TQ3. Then followed single track all the way to near Relais. Tracks dissappear up local/Pel Chat and I'm back to breaking trail all tge way to Jct 93/3 in Sacre Couer. Getting tired of this pow-pow. I seen enough. Jct there is more tracks ok I'll take it. We head for Coronet. Not Far along a group is stopped and we talk in French they want to go to Forrestville. Hmmm. Yeah well I tell them what we saw and wish them luck. We're off and big drifts in fields from the wicked wind and is frigging but cold. Iceman is freezing. Gas at Cornet and up 93 which is the trail of the week so far and we rip it. Up to the warming shack and we take 5 to warm a bit in out of the wind. Then on 93 which is ok but not as good as the big road. We run to Chapelle and take the lunch. From Chapelle 93 is best I seen it all year but full of people and we pick them off one by one this is the most fun I had all week. Just before gas at Passion QC we pass the Giant Groomer. Stop for gas and a quick warm up and Visit with my man Vincent. I noticed my sled was not quite right from Chapelle really tippy in the corners. I see my sway bar is sheared off on the left side and the link is just dangling. Well that explains it.

Leave the mountain down 93 on nice trail. Pinch me i'm dreaming. At 93 328 is the Police. Ok terrific. They check mirrors, trail pass and proof of ownership and we are off. We run to Yamaha in Chicoutimi nord but no dice, I always break the shit they never see break before. Hell with it I will ride it like it is. Down 93 we had passed another groomer near airport and then we hit the 134 and down to Shipshaw and over to 367 and yup another groomer. Nice, so up and to 83 then on into Chicoutimi. Nice day but cold. We will take it. First real groomed trails we seen all week. Sometimes it just aint your week.

230 miles.