That time of year

Saguenay Bill

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Balbuzzard, that guy is about as useless as they get. We stopped there one day, I needed some help on the way back from a long ride. Some parts or advice. I forget his name, but the guy from France, the owner, wouldn't let me use the phone, had no coffee, no food, nothing. All he likes is the hunters so he can milk them for thousands at a pop. A few coffee's and a phone call was too much to ask. When I finally got the phone book out, and used the pay phone to call the dealership in Senneterre, the parts guy was most helpful, and even knew that the Balbuzzard had an order coming through on the train later that day. However as unhelpful as he was, the owner of the Balbuzzard couldn't tell me that, or direct me to the dealer's number or anything. The next time I go through there I wouldn't stop even if I was starving, freezing, and in need of shelter. I read the thread about how helpful and nice the residents of Quebec are, well this one wouldn't help you if he could. I am a former Quebecer myself, born and raised, fluent in french and all that good stuff. But the old Ball Buster Buzzard is definitely not on my list of stops next time I head to Bougamau. Sorry for the rant, but sometime's you need to pass along the bad with the good about favorite places to stop and stay. The next time a forest fire rages through that area, I would watch will glee as the Balbuzzard burns to the ground. I heard the hunting sucks anyway after the fires from years past, the Moose have moved out of the area for better food and cover. That's probably why he was so unbelievably useless.

PM me if you need to tell me different,

I stand by my statements above as the truth, and was told by the next stop in Clova, that they have heard similar stories about the Balbuzzard.

I enjoyed my stay. Dinner and breakfast were excellent.

The restaurant area and food were fine, but we slept in a death shack that had questionable gas heat and the smell of something dead underneath. It's the worst over-night I've had in Quebec...but I would stay there again, it's all part of the experience...

The restaurant area and food were fine, but we slept in a death shack that had questionable gas heat and the smell of something dead underneath. It's the worst over-night I've had in Quebec...but I would stay there again, it's all part of the experience...

I was referring to the place in the photos I posted. I have not reveled it as I was waiting for people to guess.

I have not been to Club Scott yet.

Can anyone name this place

IMG_9131.jpg

A photo from the inside

IMG_9129.jpg

It took me a bit to get this one but I think I got it.

Doamine Driftwood on local trail (orange trail)

between 63 and 309.

Nice stop does not look like much from the front but the back and inside is nice. Good food and nice people.

Rooms downstairs with a shared bathroom. Got some chalets too.

It took me a bit to get this one but I think I got it.

Doamine Driftwood on local trail (orange trail)

between 63 and 309.

Nice stop does not look like much from the front but the back and inside is nice. Good food and nice people.

Rooms downstairs with a shared bathroom. Got some chalets too.

You got it!!!! Good Job.

Barn.jpg

Edited by GT Rider

The Balbuzzard, that guy is about as useless as they get. We stopped there one day, I needed some help on the way back from a long ride. Some parts or advice. I forget his name, but the guy from France, the owner, wouldn't let me use the phone, had no coffee, no food, nothing. All he likes is the hunters so he can milk them for thousands at a pop. A few coffee's and a phone call was too much to ask. When I finally got the phone book out, and used the pay phone to call the dealership in Senneterre, the parts guy was most helpful, and even knew that the Balbuzzard had an order coming through on the train later that day. However as unhelpful as he was, the owner of the Balbuzzard couldn't tell me that, or direct me to the dealer's number or anything. The next time I go through there I wouldn't stop even if I was starving, freezing, and in need of shelter. I read the thread about how helpful and nice the residents of Quebec are, well this one wouldn't help you if he could. I am a former Quebecer myself, born and raised, fluent in french and all that good stuff. But the old Ball Buster Buzzard is definitely not on my list of stops next time I head to Bougamau. Sorry for the rant, but sometime's you need to pass along the bad with the good about favorite places to stop and stay. The next time a forest fire rages through that area, I would watch will glee as the Balbuzzard burns to the ground. I heard the hunting sucks anyway after the fires from years past, the Moose have moved out of the area for better food and cover. That's probably why he was so unbelievably useless.

PM me if you need to tell me different,

I stand by my statements above as the truth, and was told by the next stop in Clova, that they have heard similar stories about the Balbuzzard.

I understand your frustration by reading your story :( , here is mine...

I stopped there once in march 2009 coming from Clovas in going to Senneterre. We fuel up and take a light meal because it was still soon (around 11:00 am).It was on the expensive side but correct and the place was nice.

It was the day after a good 12" snow storm and the Dozer that you seen on my precedent pic was returning back to Clovas. Because the trail was unmarked and nobody opened it yet after the storm (the area was ragged by forest fire few years before and look like huge opened field with mountains and no trees), they suggested us to take the road that had not been opened since few weeks but had only around 2' of snow on it and few sled try it before us.

So we took the road. At around 35 miles from Balbuzard, a Yammy in the group quit... broken track drive axel near the chaincase :o :blink: Shit!!! We quicky realize that we were not ready to face that. Impossible to haul without a sleight (or a carpet at least) because the shaft jam in the track and in this heavy snow and there was many slopes to climb. One of the group got back to Balbuzard to see if they have a utility sled and/or a sleight to help us but they had nothing to haul a sled. We had not seen any chalet or house since Clovas other than the Balbuzard so we decided with regrets to let the sled on the side of the trail and reach Senneterre to try to get some help there... hoping that the sled will still be there in one piece :huh:

We ride around 10 minutes in Senneterre direction and we saw, like an oasis in the desert, a big chalet with a Scandik parked infront :yahoo: . We got there and asked for help. The old man there immediately start his big skandik, hang a sleight on the back and 15 minutes later, he was asking us "where do you want me to haul it" with the sled in the sleight. Before we ask him, he offered us to haul it at his truck (a big 4X4)that was around 10 miles farther on the road and also offered to bring the sled to Senneterre, around 60miles farther. It was near too good to be true but it happened and the old man save us our trip in helping us and when we arrived at our hotel in Senneterre at the end of the day, our partner was waiting for us with the died sled at the back of the hotel. And when our mate ask the old man how much he want for his help, he told "give me want you want, I just did it to help someone in trouble". No need to tell you that he paid him well with a smile on the face :good:

This event made me realize how it can be hard to get help in those remote areas, we had only mechanical problem but how it have been turned in case on medical assistance ??? :unsure:

But we also see that there are some good peoples that are ready to help strangers in need and make our world better :good:

:drinks: Alain

Hi Alain love you ride reports, top shelf for sure.

Not sure of the name but this is the Relais in the parc, between St. Donat and St. Michael des Saints

for the Balbazaurd issue I have heard this place has gone way down since years past. Has never been the most friendly place toward sledders. The owner I met was the original I believe tough old French lady from France had weimereiner dog grey thing incredible animal. Had dinner cooked on piece of granite on the tables it was way cool and something I will never forget. But you needed to go inside when you arrive even if you just want gas. If you didn't go in and say hello they would not come out. I believe that owner is gone I have been by there but have not stopped. For sure the fires there hurt the hunting for them. It's like the moon around there for sure now, Such a big change.

Nice trail though but have good equipment and sat phone. It's lonely country between Clova and Seneterre.

Edited by iceman