La Cabanon

SkippyDoo

Hi. Coming up next week. Looking at La Cabanon right now. Not a first time rider in Quebec but never rode this area. What are some good rides out of there ? daytrips this time up so looking for 200 250 mile loops. Staying for three days. Any ideas ?

Hi. Coming up next week. Looking at La Cabanon right now. Not a first time rider in Quebec but never rode this area. What are some good rides out of there ? daytrips this time up so looking for 200 250 mile loops. Staying for three days. Any ideas ?

One day Repos, One day Mattawin, One day St Donat. At Cabanon, Dennis the owner will advise you on trail conditions in the area. They will have a map and it is easy to follow.

One day Repos, One day Mattawin, One day St Donat. At Cabanon, Dennis the owner will advise you on trail conditions in the area. They will have a map and it is easy to follow.

Thanks I will look at those. Next week may still be sketchy, Mt Valin is my backup plan at the moment.

Hi Skip, I agree with Snobeeler, and def. ask how conditions are at LeCabanon, there are 5 or 6 groomers run out of their lot so they know what is what. As a rule of thumb north is usually better early in the season more snow and less traffic. I would start with an easy run the first day like down to Mattawin and if you are feeling up for a big day head to Kanawata or even Casey. Let us know how you make out. :good:

Hi Skip, I agree with Snobeeler, and def. ask how conditions are at LeCabanon, there are 5 or 6 groomers run out of their lot so they know what is what. As a rule of thumb north is usually better early in the season more snow and less traffic. I would start with an easy run the first day like down to Mattawin and if you are feeling up for a big day head to Kanawata or even Casey. Let us know how you make out. :good:

I saw Kanawata and Casey on the map. Fuel in Casey ? Def interested in that. Maybe Barrage Gouin also. I usually do saddle bag trips when I go up there but taking the girl up this time. She likes to ride,but has never been up there. Plus I'm not sure how far her AC will go on a tank of fuel. 2011 SnoPro 600. And 300 mile days are kinda freakin her out. Thinks it might be too much. I don't want to kill her or she may not go back.

I saw Kanawata and Casey on the map. Fuel in Casey ? Def interested in that. Maybe Barrage Gouin also. I usually do saddle bag trips when I go up there but taking the girl up this time. She likes to ride,but has never been up there. Plus I'm not sure how far her AC will go on a tank of fuel. 2011 SnoPro 600. And 300 mile days are kinda freakin her out. Thinks it might be too much. I don't want to kill her or she may not go back.

If you have to go back to LeCabanon every night then Casey will be a stretch. Depending on your route figure about 300 miles round trip to Casey. If you can stay out over night Kanawata is a great stop, be sure to call ahead sometimes they get groups in and book up-- Mario is the manager. My wife rides with me most times and I try not to hit her with too many 300 mile days, she does pretty good up to about 250 then she starts getting tired. One thing that is nice about LeCabanon is the pool and hot tub when you get back. My wife has been going with me to Quebec for 17 years now and she has grown to like the saddlebag trips better. When we are on a saddlebag trip if we hit some bad trails or we are getting tired we just stop, but if we have to get back to a certain motel sometimes that last 30 miles is tough. Good luck :drinks:

If you have to go back to LeCabanon every night then Casey will be a stretch. Depending on your route figure about 300 miles round trip to Casey. If you can stay out over night Kanawata is a great stop, be sure to call ahead sometimes they get groups in and book up-- Mario is the manager. My wife rides with me most times and I try not to hit her with too many 300 mile days, she does pretty good up to about 250 then she starts getting tired. One thing that is nice about LeCabanon is the pool and hot tub when you get back. My wife has been going with me to Quebec for 17 years now and she has grown to like the saddlebag trips better. When we are on a saddlebag trip if we hit some bad trails or we are getting tired we just stop, but if we have to get back to a certain motel sometimes that last 30 miles is tough. Good luck :drinks:

You can also stay in Casey, we stayed there a few years back when Kanawata was booked. A young couple run it and he speaks great english. We stopped for fuel there last year and they have put an additiion on the place. And I beleive there's a plowed road there now so they don't have to take ths sled for supplies. Great couple and we had 2 great meals. It was funny they said there's only 3-4 people that stay in Casey in the winter. There's a phone booth outside, we where the only ones staying there and I went out to use the phone about 8pm and someone was using it! :angry:

Yeah i forget the name of the guy runninng the Casey place but he used to work at Kanawata years back. Nice guy.

Can't think of his name either but I know he has a thing for '87 SRV's. I have been keeping my open for one down here but they are pretty beat up.

The SRV's were hard on gas, but the rear suspension and seat were awesome.

8 gal. tank 90 miles to a tank,pretty much didn't matter how you tried to conserve 90 miles was it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well got back from 3 day trip to St Zenon. All in all not to bad. The traffic was kinda heavy especially Sat, and some of the trails wouldn't hold up to it. I only did 525 miles but can't really complain. We had a warm day, a snowy day, and a cold day. The best snow was over in the St Donat area. Mt Tremblant park was great, but they hadn't groomed after the 8 to 10 inches they got the day we rode through there. Black Mt was a blast in all the new snow on Thursday. Visibility across Lake Archambault was around 200 ft. Glad they stake the lakes up there. Went to Repos, was thin in places but very rideable. The 360 trail to the Dam is junk. They are in there with excavators doing road work. Go over the new bridge on 345. The groomers are all out but they need snow badly,especially around St Michele. All the traffic and grooming has left some of the trails kinda thin. Forecast looks good though, a bunch of snow on the way this week. That was my first trip to this area of Quebec. However with all the trail number changes, it could be a bit confusing at times. They must not have all the signs up yet. I noticed the 23 Sud sign headed out of LaCabanon turned up missing sunday morning. Not sure if they took it down or it was stolen. Sorry no pictures, but the ones I saw posted on here from other riders are accurate.

• 3 weeks later...

We headed up Friday night to Le Cabannon and left there through the Park to Saint-Come and back to Le Cabannon. We haven't been to this area before but heard it was going to be busy, and it sure was. We passed lots and lots of sleds in the area, but the trails held up great. The three groomers that were at Le Cabannon Saturday morning had left by the time we returned for dinner and the trails were in top shape this morning. Compared to the Abitibi trails, which is where wer normally ride, there is a lot more traffic, but we had a great time and will visit again soon. The mountain trails were pretty hard to beat and the views were amazing. Oh and they have LOTS of snow! :D Heading to Mount Laurier next weekend and then four day saddle bag trip in the Abitibi region! :D

We headed up Friday night to Le Cabannon and left there through the Park to Saint-Come and back to Le Cabannon. We haven't been to this area before but heard it was going to be busy, and it sure was. We passed lots and lots of sleds in the area, but the trails held up great. The three groomers that were at Le Cabannon Saturday morning had left by the time we returned for dinner and the trails were in top shape this morning. Compared to the Abitibi trails, which is where wer normally ride, there is a lot more traffic, but we had a great time and will visit again soon. The mountain trails were pretty hard to beat and the views were amazing. Oh and they have LOTS of snow! :D Heading to Mount Laurier next weekend and then four day saddle bag trip in the Abitibi region! :D

I have been going there for 15 years. It is not near as busy as it used to be. I used to have to book a room at the cabanon several months ahead because they used to be booked solid all winter. I also never rode there on weekends because of the "weekend warriors" those guys where throttle jockeys and would shred the trails. But yes it is still busy compared to most places in Quebec. I would always plan a 200 plus mile loop and get away from the towns. Good to hear you enjoyed the area though. Abitibi! I will have to make it back to that area again, have not been there since 07, maybe next season or maybe the 1st week of March I will have to wait and see on snow conditions in 3 weeks from now.

Yeah i forget the name of the guy runninng the Casey place but he used to work at Kanawata years back. Nice guy.

Hey iceman, the guy who was running Casey is Yannick and he is working at Kanawata again. Evidently his girlfriend is now his ex so she is still at Casey. Can never really tell when you talk to the french guys I don't know if something is lost in the translation of "girlfriend" or if nobody really is married. :drinks:

Most are not married they just become common law. Thx Viper. I see the Gare Casey is for sale.(relais, hotel)

That's ashame we stayed there a few years ago, he speaks great english. He just put an addition on the place also. I always wondered how tough it would be to run that place as a couple and spend all that time together, especially in the winter. I guess that answered my question!

Hey iceman, the guy who was running Casey is Yannick and he is working at Kanawata again. Evidently his girlfriend is now his ex so she is still at Casey. Can never really tell when you talk to the french guys I don't know if something is lost in the translation of "girlfriend" or if nobody really is married. :drinks:

Stopped at Casey on Thursday for gas there was a guy there with the girl. He spoke just a little bit of broken english.