2012 Trail Conditions

Saguenay Bill

Today revct1, Jason and I rode 230 miles. Had lunch at, you guessed it, "best food in town", the Truck Stop. Then stopped a Scooby Raid for Maple Cake. If you are there be sure and try it. Found out that the logging road going up to Pipmaucan will not be used for the next 10 years so I guess that means that Pipmaucan will be open for at least 10 years. Also the Caribou-Conscrits club and the Saguenay club may not be grooming after Sunday. A meeting is scheduled with the Quebec government, FCMQ and the clubs Monday.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today revct1, Jason and I rode 230 miles. Had lunch at, you guessed it, "best food in town", the Truck Stop. Then stopped a Scooby Raid for Maple Cake. If you are there be sure and try it. Found out that the logging road going up to Pipmaucan will not be used for the next 10 years so I guess that means that Pipmaucan will be open for at least 10 years. Also the Caribou-Conscrits club and the Saguenay club may not be grooming after Sunday. A meeting is scheduled with the Quebec government, FCMQ and the clubs Monday.

WOW!!! Looks like we will go to the Gaspe next week, for sure. Don't the clubs realize they only hurt themselves and their neighbors? Let me know when your trails are open, maybe i'll use them, otherwise there are thousands of other miles we can ride...

Bob

Is the trail to 355 off 23 marked? How far is it from Mont Apica? Guys want to go that way and are asking me this question.

Bill

This is the right to L'eTape just north of Lac Edwardo from 355 heading to 23...Going North...No number just a sign...

Thank you.

Thanks for the info. Bill, that day was awesome riding down to LEtape! 10 miles south of the 23 turnoff to LEtape is in fact the new trail over to Lac Eduoard. The trail had just been groomed and the scenery was really cool. Spoke to owner at LeGoualand and he said like you that the trail we be on next years map and cut off about 2 hours from our usual jonquiere to lac Eduoard trip via 355. Good seeing you again this year. Regards, Chris

Edited by NJSkidoo

Bill keep us posted on the grooming situation u was looking at heading back up in a few weeks

Sounds like the warm weather didn't affect the trails in your area

X2 planning on coming up on the 14th for a few days , please keep us posted. Thanks for the reports !! Dave

Thanks for the info. Bill, that day was awesome riding down to LEtape! 10 miles south of the 23 turnoff to LEtape is in fact the new trail over to Lac Eduoard. The trail had just been groomed and the scenery was really cool. Spoke to owner at LeGoualand and he said like you that the trail we be on next years map and cut off about 2 hours from our usual jonquiere to lac Eduoard trip via 355. Good seeing you again this year. Regards, Chris

FYI, this trail is on this years Mauricie map.

Yesterday revct1, Jason and I rode 200 miles. We went down 83 and then crossed over to Anse St Jean, went up the ski hill and then had lunch. After lunch we went out to the look out. hen came back to HS. Weather was overcast and cold +10F.

monday I rode 100 miles. Left at 9 with 3 couples. One of the sleds had a problem and they were headed towards Forestville. Took them to Villenaue's. Ended up being a stator problem. Left Villenue's at 12 noon and brought sled to Spence's. Having valves adjusted. Sled now has 12,400 miles on it.

Today I rode my 09 and rode 175 miles. Went to Ski-Bee- Doo for coffee and then to Scooby Raid for lunch. It was a real "I B Day". Cold and sunny.

Received email that Grooming is back on for the Saguenay Club and that the Caribou-Conscrits will be grooming until at least this Sunday.

monday I rode 100 miles. Left at 9 with 3 couples. One of the sleds had a problem and they were headed towards Forestville. Took them to Villenaue's. Ended up being a stator problem. Left Villenue's at 12 noon and brought sled to Spence's. Having valves adjusted. Sled now has 12,400 miles on it.

Today I rode my 09 and rode 175 miles. Went to Ski-Bee- Doo for coffee and then to Scooby Raid for lunch. It was a real "I B Day". Cold and sunny.

Received email that Grooming is back on for the Saguenay Club and that the Caribou-Conscrits will be grooming until at least this Sunday.

thanks for all the info not to sure what we would do with out your update's

I was planning one last saddle bag trip starting around the 19 or 20 what are you thoughs on grooming by then

Thanks

Jeff

thanks for all the info not to sure what we would do with out your update's

I was planning one last saddle bag trip starting around the 19 or 20 what are you thoughs on grooming by then

Thanks

Jeff

I think the weather will be the factor, not the grooming. Long range forecast look like alot of +40's for the next 15 days.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/ca/jonquiere/g7s/daily-weather-forecast/50014?p=accuweather

bill,

do you think on mont valin and in your area they will still groom at night?

Once the temps get above freezing they stop grooming. As long as temps stay below freezing at night they usually groom. But the Caribou-Conscrits have only extended their grooming thru Sunday. Have to see how they make out with the FCMQ and the government.

Edited by Saguenay Bill

that club does mont valin itself, right?? down to passion quebec and "off" the mountain?

my experiences with spring riding up there is just as you said, if nights are below 28 or so they groom at night, any warmer.....forget it! why bother really, the 38 to 40*f day temps and march sun kils the snow fast

that club does mont valin itself, right?? down to passion quebec and "off" the mountain?

my experiences with spring riding up there is just as you said, if nights are below 28 or so they groom at night, any warmer.....forget it! why bother really, the 38 to 40*f day temps and march sun kils the snow fast

As ICEMAN mentioned in a previous post, the Sagueney LSJ area clubs decided this season, to pay the local farmers union some amount of $$$ to cross their lands. Because of the 2 previous strikes that shut down the early riding in 2 of the last 5 yrs, I believe the clubs got nervous and decided to pay the ransom rather than risk loosing their trails. And as you know the South side of LSJ is virtually all farmland. So Im only guessing here........, but Im thinking these additional fees in conjunction with $5 diesel, is putting a huge money hit on the clubs in that area. This year they all started grooming late (mild weather) and it sounds like theyre quitting early, even if the weather cools. I know most of the Caribou Club is in rhe woods and doesnt cross much open land, but they may have payed some $$ to the farmers near the river and fiord.

As ICEMAN mentioned in a previous post, the Sagueney LSJ area clubs decided this season, to pay the local farmers union some amount of $$$ to cross their lands. Because of the 2 previous strikes that shut down the early riding in 2 of the last 5 yrs, I believe the clubs got nervous and decided to pay the ransom rather than risk loosing their trails. And as you know the South side of LSJ is virtually all farmland. So Im only guessing here........, but Im thinking these additional fees in conjunction with $5 diesel, is putting a huge money hit on the clubs in that area. This year they all started grooming late (mild weather) and it sounds like theyre quitting early, even if the weather cools. I know most of the Caribou Club is in rhe woods and doesnt cross much open land, but they may have payed some $$ to the farmers near the river and fiord.

My understanding is that the Mayor of Saguenay City made the decision to pay the farmers $2 Million, taxpayers money. The clubs don't have that kind of money. I had an offical of the Caribou-Conscrits explain to me that the problem is as follows:

1. The only money the clubs receive to groom is from the sale of trail passes.

2. The Caribou-Conscrits Club sells 2,500 passes at roughly $150 each is roughly $380,000 for grooming roughly 20 weeks.

3. Clubs in metropolitan areas, like Montreal, may have may sell 2500 passes and groom 4 weeks.

4. The C-C club would like to see the money from trail passes divided up based on hours of grooming, not the way it's being done now.

This has been an on going discussion in the past with no resolution. The C-C club is trying to get a resolution to this.

i am only the messenger here.

The Caribou-Conscrits is one club and they groom 500 mile of trail. That includes all of Mont Valin East and M V West, as well as north of the river from St Rose to Onatchiway, Scooby Raid, Begin and Shipshaw. The rain and temps today/tonight has taken away alot of snow here in the Jonquiere section. It was 50F here today. All is see is blacktop from my room.

The C-C club does such a great job in that area, sad to see them get the short end of the stick. Its alot like New York, 75% of the clubs take the money and run..........

whats a reliable weather source for your area or QC in general? I look at 3 different sources, all of which are WAY different!

This is the first time in years i had to really think out where to go in Quebec. maybe i am overthinking it but the weather stinks...... :shock: