No GPSQUEBEC software for 2012-2013?

gizz

I like to keep my main GPS software up to date each year with any trail changes and i've always used the gpsquebec program/maps for that. I just got an email from them saying they will not be producing an update for the 2012 season because the federation has resigned their contract with them. So i guess i'm wondering if the GPS trail system is going to be available for free or through the federation now (whether free or for a price). I just purchased a new Garmin Montana and while i know i can use last years maps it still would be nice to know what the plans are going forward. Anyone know ?

You're gonna frickin LOVE your Montana!! (Though I haven't used the camera feature)

I also use gpsquebec, and one year that i skipped an update the old trail saved us by giving an "alternate" go-around on a beat trail between Kanawata & Chataeuverte

Is trackmaps better or just as good as GPSquebec or what about Sledgps.com anybody use them ?

John:

I used trackmpas last year and they are pretty good. Re-routes after they were published did screw me up a few times, trails change it's not like maping roads...Will not go back without GPS.

Is trackmaps better or just as good as GPSquebec or what about Sledgps.com anybody use them ?

I have SledGPS only because they are the only ones that have all of VT and Quebec, the 2 places I ride. So far their maps have not been very good. They look like the exact same data as the Polaris trail app. That free color coded routable Quebec map that went around was much better. But like everyone else here has noticed, in a pinch a second opinion can be worth it's weight in gold, so I keep SledGPS on the back burner. I have actually been trying to help the guy, Marcus, get some better data through VAST and forums like this. If it ever happens I will be sure to let people know.

We have used Track maps now for 3 years. The mapping part works well HOWEVER and I stress HOWEVER when you use it in navigation mode ( Turn by turn just like you would for car navigation) if the trail has changed by even a few feet all you then get is a blank screen saying " Cannot calculate Route" . Its not the gps's fault as the gps does not loose it's navigation if you pull into a store or get off an exit to get around traffic, it recalculates automatically. Track maps just stops working in a case like that.

The only way to get rid of it is to take your gloves off and reenter what you wanted it to navigate to, then usually a few minutes later same thing happens again. Believe me that gets to be a royal PIA at 20 below.

Plain mapping mode works ok . I don't remember having that problem with toponav

Just my 2 cents worth

There are 3 of us that have it in our group and we all have the same issue

BTW 2 Garmin Nuvi 550

1 Garmin legend cx

are what we are using it with

Edited by artcat900

I only tried auto-routing one year we rented a cottage on Lac Taureau and that sucker was hard to find at night. My old Garmin 60CS would practically start smoking if I asked it to route while riding. From then on I have just used it to make a better guess that I'm heading the right way. I would never ride QC without a GPS even just to lay down a track without having the trail data loaded. For this year at least, if you are buying a new map set, TrakMaps is the latest and GPSQC is outdated.

Hi Guys ,

I'm getting the Garmin Montana 650t and from what

I'm reading the way to go is the GPS Quebec .Com software. Any information would be appreciated thanks guys.

Think Snow. !!!

Get the hardwire handlebar mount! It ROCKS!

Hi Guys ,

I'm getting the Garmin Montana 650t and from what

I'm reading the way to go is the GPS Quebec .Com software. Any information would be appreciated thanks guys.

Think Snow. !!!

Get the hardwire handlebar mount! It ROCKS!

Hardwire handle bar mount the way to go, you just shift your eyes a little to view the screen without having to move your head.

Handlebar mount...........remember this day Crazysnow, twas a real skill testing day LOL.

Hey David,

I'm setting up my new XTX for the last 2 weeks & have a question. I'm going to upgrade my Garmin 360C & buy the new Garmin Montana. What is the specific model you recommend? What is the specific hardwire handlebar mount you're talking about? Did you find your additional gas packs yet? I'm going with 1.5 gals on each running board at the rear.

Pumped BIG TIME!!!

Best,

Tom

Hey David,

I'm setting up my new XTX for the last 2 weeks & have a question. I'm going to upgrade my Garmin 360C & buy the new Garmin Montana. What is the specific model you recommend? What is the specific hardwire handlebar mount you're talking about? Did you find your additional gas packs yet? I'm going with 1.5 gals on each running board at the rear.

Pumped BIG TIME!!!

Best,

Tom

Garmin probably has a hardwire kit - try this https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=26668

Go with a RAM mount for the GPS - try this http://rammount.com/Default.aspx?tabid=68y this

Edited by 182ray

Hey David,

Pumped BIG TIME!!!

Best,

Tom

Holder: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=89575

Mount: http://www.rammount.com/EmptyPages/SubGPS/Mounts/tabid/2707/Default.aspx

Lucy got me the 650t, I don't know why the "t" is $70 more and my ADD won't allow me to research it.

Pierre's working out the spare can thing, and he thinks it'll fit on the back. I thought that the runing board mount would get in the way of the saddlebag clips? He's also doing the Ice-Ripper track. And of course the Simmons. I broke away from Don & Big Bill who are going red and I went black. Can't freakin wait!!

At the Toronto Show, the fellow at the Radio World told me that the Montana 600 is exactly the same without the camera as the 650.

And it was the one he would buy for snowmobiling.