What motorized vehicle is less reliable than a Snowmobile?

Scranton1

I cant think of one! Its amazing how much stuff breaks with all the technology out there. After all its 2013............. I think my 72 AC Panther was more reliable than what we have out there today across all brands. Its not just the high mileage sleds, its some right out of the box. 1st, 2nd, 3rd model years.

We have found that the more years a model is available - the more reliable! All the kinks worked out........

Its so hard to resist buying the latest and greatest but you end up being the guineau pig and are often the one being towed.

For the nonsaddle bagger doing 100 miles a day, its not as important........

We have had some pretty good success sticking with the ski doo old 600 non etec motor. That thing has probably been out since 2000 ish? No bugs left to be worked out. 15-17mpg, 105hp, never left us stranded with probably 30,000 combined miles in qc.

Just my 2 cents

All sleds are junk.............but they're pretty damn fun to ride!

That Yamaha old fashioned riding position really sucks, at least for me if the trails are less than perfect. They are heavy as hell as well. I'll give you the Yammy engines are reliable, but the rest of the sled is just as much a POS as any of the other brands. Fuel economy not as good as the doo's as well. The phazer and nytro are more comfortable, but are tough to saddle bag with with the 5 gallon gas tanks.

They are all non-reliable, but are fun as hell to ride. They are getting impossible to fix yourself with all the computerized BS on them nowadays.

My 10,000 mile 500ss has the same likelihood of going down as anything else....

Just my 2 cents.

Karl

One word.........................YAMAHA!!! The answer to your breakdown problems.

Been there, tried that............

The 08 Nytro was my confirmation on not buying a first model year sled.........

That thing was a piece of sh*&%.

Traded it in mid year for a doo with a $3000 loss.

Never had an issue with the motor............ Gas was a problem and handling was a major problem.

post-36-0-78659000-1359164768_thumb.jpg

I cant think of one! Its amazing how much stuff breaks with all the technology out there. After all its 2013............. I think my 72 AC Panther was more reliable than what we have out there today across all brands. Its not just the high mileage sleds, its some right out of the box. 1st, 2nd, 3rd model years.

We have found that the more years a model is available - the more reliable! All the kinks worked out........

Its so hard to resist buying the latest and greatest but you end up being the guineau pig and are often the one being towed.

We have had some pretty good success sticking with the ski doo old 600 non etec motor. That thing has probably been out since 2000 ish? No bugs left to be worked out. 15-17mpg, 105hp, never left us stranded with probably 30,000 combined miles in qc.

Just my 2 cents

I was just talking to my Polaris dealer today and I just told him the best engine ever built was probably the Doo 600SDI. They seem to run forever and the fuel mileage was really good.

By the way "the non saddlebagger" ride more than 100 miles per day. At least we did. I would do the same amount of miles that I do now when I saddlebag 250 to 300 miles per day.

Totally agree with you on the SkiDoo 600 carbed sled. Might just be the most dependable sled out there.

I did have a '71 AC Puma/440 Sachs engine that went 4,000 miles in one year without a problem.

I am now waiting to see how Farmerold's 2013 Polaris 600 holds out. Hopefully Polaris now has a 600 motor that lasts, and maybe I'll be back on a Polaris again. BTW, the '13 Polaris 600 motor is all new. Would like to try a Rush for a year.

mike

Just my 2 cents

For the most part yes. Ive tried both the high end and the simple. I like simple units I can repair on the trail head myself. I stick with the 600 motor for the most part the big power isnt needed for bagging imo. My son's sled is simple but the one out of the three I like the most 10 poo s.b. shift good sled with no bell's thing is built bullet proof But they all cut them from the line may be epa reg's or it is just plain non logic from the top the averae sledder day trips so the planning partof the sled is mostly around them .

I was just talking to my Polaris dealer today and I just told him the best engine ever built was probably the Doo 600SDI. They seem to run forever and the fuel mileage was really good.

By the way "the non saddlebagger" ride more than 100 miles per day. At least we did. I would do the same amount of miles that I do now when I saddlebag 250 to 300 miles per day.

I agree the non saddlebagger does high mileage days.........I think the point I was trying to make: When you break and your 700 miles from your truck, it really sucks! and its going to cost you big $$$$ to get home.

With day trips you can usually tow the machine somewhere, run back and get the truck, and all is good...........

I agree the non saddlebagger does high mileage days.........I think the point I was trying to make: When you break and your 700 miles from your truck, it really sucks! and its going to cost you big $$$$ to get home.

With day trips you can usually tow the machine somewhere, run back and get the truck, and all is good...........

Edited by Phil 1

Just my 2 cents

WOW!! I can hardly believe what I am reading. Saying a 72 is better than new models! I started in 69 sledding, we would go out on an all day trip, 35 miles, with 8 sleds and tow half of them back. The ones that did the towing had changed at least a couple plugs and a belt or two. You asked what machine is less reliable, name another machine that has to meet the expectations we put on a snowmobile, start instantly at -40*, run perfectly at +40*, run at 100mph all day, puttering at 20 with our kids driving them,, go 150 miles to the tank of gas, burn no oil, pound over rough trails all day as fast as we can drive them, work great weather in 5 feet of powder, or across a bare trail with snirt, grass or dirt! I see huge improvements every year in the new machines, when I look back at what I drove in the 70's I quite happliy shell out the price of a new sled. I drove my 1200 Renegade last winter 4000 miles and never even pulled the dipstick out, and it wasn't down a drop!

Look at the price we pay for cars and trucks today, they could not stand a fraction of the abuse we put our sleds through and expect no iusses.

Just my thoughts.

Totally agree with you Scranton on the 2008 Nytro. I had one for a season, traded it following year for 600 etec. On my second one now, 2012 MXZ x package. My 2009 gave me one minor problem with antifreeze leakage overnight. Would notice it in trailer in the morning.

Ive got one, name a vehicle that is more reliable, that goes thru what our sleds go thru? Two times in 30000 miles of Quebec riding I have been towed back, luckily close to town. One bad jackshaft bearing, one stud thru heat exchanger. Not a Yamaha in the stable. If things were really that bad, we would see alot less saddlebagging. This is my 4th season on GSX 1200, taken almost completely apart in the spring to check over. Cant believe how well this thing is holding up. This is my first skidoo, and Im impressed with how well it is holding up.I am an auto mechanic by trade, so I see all kinds of equipment in my workand it always amazes me with the abuse some of these sleds get that they run at all. PS DONT BUY A FIRST YEAR SLED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by 800steve

I agree the key is preventative maintenance. It makes things complicated when the sled is still covered under an extended warranty. Do you preemptively replace drive/driven clutch springs and jack shaft/ drive axle and idler wheel bearings as normal maintenance?

I do, but a friend helps with the ones that are pressed on. It's a tough call for someone that cannot do the work themselves....

I can't fix anything...my tool kit is for if someone breaks down on the trail...I might have to help them by having a tool or strap or belt for them. I drive 4 hours to a ski doo mechanic that cares about me and more importantly does what he is suppose to do, a good job with my sled..

Before I ride (even if its brand new) I take it to Mike at Bennett Power Sports in Whitby...he has not let me down once. And I know that 'stuff' can happen anytime...but I can't pretend...I would not know how to fix it. If I break down I will get to a shop or the side of a road and send for someone to pick me and my 'stuff' up.

A friend of mine did the math and figures its cheaper to keep a new or newer sled than to keep fixing it. When you ride far from home (like me) getting my toys home can be a bigger expense than the trip I was on. My shortest drive to snow is usually 6 hours. Really I need to move!

Linda

TB cost me over $450.00 on my breakdowns last trip to get me to repairs and/or my truck. I will have a new sled every year two at most going forward that is the only answer. Or scuba tanks, bikinis and white sand... :drinks: To bad I love the cold and snow so much...

When did you start wearing Bikinis Phil??

All right. Snowmobiles do break down and we have to pay to fix them but how about the tow vehciles?

I'd swap that $450 repair bill for the sled with my $1,127 repair bill for my truck. When we got back from our first day on the sleds before the gathering, I was told there was a big puddle of pink under my radiator and that one of the back tires was going flat. This is after I broke a door handle trying to open the frozen door of the truck that cold morning and our new sled got dinged in the back bumper. :help:

The GMC dealer next door was good enough to get the truck in and order a radiator for me. When I picked up the truck, they told me it needs some front end work. They could take care of that too for another $1,142. :sorry:

I decided to take the truck as is and fix the front end in CT for a lot less.

I look at the bright side. That radiator could have let go half way between L'Etape and Jonquiere. Wouldn't that have been a nice tow bill with the four place trailer behind.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is everything wears out or breaks down. Sometimes it is sooner than later. Now it wouldn't be as much fun if we didn't have these critical times to complain and laugh about later on.

Jack & Sandi

All right. Snowmobiles do break down and we have to pay to fix them but how about the tow vehciles?

I'd swap that $450 repair bill for the sled with my $1,127 repair bill for my truck. When we got back from our first day on the sleds before the gathering, I was told there was a big puddle of pink under my radiator and that one of the back tires was going flat. This is after I broke a door handle trying to open the frozen door of the truck that cold morning and our new sled got dinged in the back bumper. :help:

The GMC dealer next door was good enough to get the truck in and order a radiator for me. When I picked up the truck, they told me it needs some front end work. They could take care of that too for another $1,142. :sorry:

I decided to take the truck as is and fix the front end in CT for a lot less.

I look at the bright side. That radiator could have let go half way between L'Etape and Jonquiere. Wouldn't that have been a nice tow bill with the four place trailer behind.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is everything wears out or breaks down. Sometimes it is sooner than later. Now it wouldn't be as much fun if we didn't have these critical times to complain and laugh about later on.

Jack & Sandi

Yea Jack it is not for the faint of wallet. The $450 was just to get me back to vehicles & repair shops. If it were not for bridgebuilder the second tow would have been a lot more. Guess it just helps to vent here when mechanical problems cost days of riding.

Phil

It panned out not bad on my end, we rented a cube and drove two sled home with us and our gear, 6 hour drive, the kicker was we had to return it we were not allowed to leave it in MTL, with return trip rental , mileage and fuel came 660$ and we split it, not bad IMO for a rescue from Jonquiere to MTL.