Weather Reports?

800steve

HI 800Steve

Snowhite here from the tamarac in clova, smclelan is right that is a very place to get your info. I also try and post almost everyday and give you up the the minuit news on the trails and the weather,during the snowmobile season, all my info, is based on what my guest share with me, i also translate the groomer skedual from our snowmobile club ''Alliance de nord''. Our club covers the wemontaci side of the 83 trans. all the way to the 'balbuzard sauvage' and then we also cover the northern part of the trail that comes up from Mont Laurier from Lac St Anne. I will also keep you all updated on the obijiwan trail this year, After several discussions with Gyslain and his wife Linda '' Pouvoirie Martin'' he confirmed to me that he will be grooming that trail this year and it will be marked off. I hope that everyone that will go that way will stop at their place to incourage them, gaz, corner store, and maybe some lunch.... (need to reserve for lunch) I'm sure you all know that its very expensif to groom the trails and that trail is NOT federated so all the cost are his responsibility.....i've heard thou that, this area is more than worth mentionning and seeing.

p.s. would you need any other info, or translating write i'll be more than happy to help.

Snowhite and big Al

X2 on Martins, we stopped there for a lunch on our Res Gouin tour a few years back but were refused because they were expecting a large tour group to come in any minute, I remember well the aroma in the place, too bad.

It is 30 miles or 50km from Clova to Martin Outfitter. It takes an hour give or take a few minutes. The trail leaves Martin Outfitter and then it is basically unmarked across the Gouin reservoir to Obedjiwan. Do not attempt unless the weather is good and you have a GPS track across the reservoir and you know how to follow it. Just a word of advice as there are areas on the reservoir where the ice is not safe due to the currents that are created when the gates at the Barrage Gouin are opened. Michel at Escapde Outfitter has many years of experience on the reservoir and he warned me about the dangerous areas as did the owners at Barrage Gouin.

Andy

post-14-0-77364800-1383520069_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-75664400-1383520882_thumb.jpg

I have been to Obedjiwan on 2 separate occasions and there have been ZERO stakes and we saw one sign on a spruce tree on a small island that said Martin Outfitter. On the first trip we encountered very poor weather with snow squalls bringing the visibility down to near zero. As we left Obedjiwan we were completely on our own as we rode the leg from Escapade to Obedjiwan with Michel and his trusty Skandic. Come to think about it I remember seeing a large pile of stakes all nicely painted red in a pile on the shore near Escapade but none on the ice! LOL As we left Michel in Obedjiwan he gave us a wave and wished us luck. The biggest problem was the very low visibility and the fact there were sled tracks on the ice. At first we thought oh great we will follow these guys,would have worked fine if we wanted to go to their cabin or go ice fishing with them!!! We soon learned to ignore the tracks and stick to the GPS track. I can't remember what setting I had my gps zoomed in to but I do know it was a small range so we could stay very close to the track we were to follow. If we got a couple of hundred feet off we knew it and could correct to return to the track. When we got near Martin's it took us a few minutes to get off the ice as again there were no signs and a goat path through the woods to the road. The last word of caution are the dangerous ice conditions near Martin's. Many have seen pictures of the famous canal that was dug by the POW's to empty water into the Gouin reservoir from the Megiscane and Suzie Rivers. These rivers drained to James Bay but a decision was made to redirect them to the Gouin and St Lawrence watershed via the Saint Maurice river. If you are riding toward Martin's from the east and you are on the ice and you see the outfitter straight ahead ride directly to the shore staying to the right following tracks hopefully. Never and I repeat never venture to the left as you approach Martin's because this is where this canal drains into the Gouin and there is very thin ice or no ice.If you ride to Martin's on the road he will show you the areas to avoid on the ice. I don't profess to be an expert on the Gouin but having been there twice I feel obligated to at least caution anyone heading there to do your research and be careful. This is not like riding a FCMQ groomed signed trail this is ride at your own risk country. The last thing I will say is that if you do ride the reservoir on a nice day the views are amazing and it is huge!!! The screen capture of the GPS track shows the safe route on the ice in green and the yellow track is on the road.

Andy

post-14-0-98437600-1383571055_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-94454100-1383571064_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-75138100-1383571073_thumb.jpg

I have printed your instructions Andy, I will glue them in my map book.

That was a great read! I felt like I was on an adventure for sure.

I think you might just want to be the official guide on that one!

Linda

I would not do it without a GPS with the tracks, and the knowledge on how to use it. You are talking 100 miles of mostly ungroomed, possibly unmarked trail. It goes on and off islands, on and off the ice many, many times. Very fun for the adventurous types.

Andy is right, do not attempt crossing the Gouin unless you know how to use your gps correctly, there is very little room for error there. Luckily when i crossed it, it was staked and even staked it was sketchy at times. The day we crossed it was heavily overcasted and snow squalls everywhere, you really had to use your better judgement. In one of my photos you can see a stake on the ice but not the next, it was a guessing game to find the next in most cases that day. It's definetly not your conventional snowmobiling, there is no trail.

You're not on the ice all of the time as Andy stated, you're often crossing islands and peninsulas to get away from open water or thin ice.

Your crossing comes to an end from east to west at Martin's, nice cozy spot he's got there.

not as scary as crossing lac st jean at night in pouring rain with no snow on the lake just water , and not to many pickets,, ...DO YOU REMEMBER Trailblazer

REMEMBER!!!! Hell I was in front, point'n shoot point'n shoot.

Snowmobiling is always an adventure LOL

not as scary as crossing lac st jean at night in pouring rain with no snow on the lake just water , and not to many pickets,, ...DO YOU REMEMBER Trailblazer

I was on the south side of the lake with a group few years back. Had sled issue after repairs it was late. We ran the shore line few miles till we were lined up with the town on the other side we wanted to stay in and went for it. Little bit of a pucker moment in the midle of the lake but I'm talking to you about it.

yes trail blazer you led the last quarter only after you keep saying just a little futher !!!!! and it was fun watching you spend $20 to dry your AC. suit . in the dryer at the motel ..

Edited by grumpysanta