Ferry to Matane

Florida Snowman

Looking for info on the ferries to Matane. Is it better/easier to leave from Godbout or Baie-Comeau? Are the ride times across consistent or do ice conditions affect or ever cancel the ferries? Any info would be appreciated. Also what is the best lodging in Godbout & Baie-Comeau?

It's been years since I've been to the power dams in Baie-Comeau & I've never crossed via ferry to Matane.

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

I think this might help. Pretty sure Groomer gave it to me last year.

http://www.southstlawrence.worldweb.com/MataneQC/Transportation/Ferries/

Linda

I plan on riding north on TQ 3 from tadoussac to Baie Comeau tuesday -wednesday next week. Anybody know the conditions on TQ3? Plan on staying on the north shore (?). Anything on the french forums in that area? Leaving from Valin. Thanks

Edited by momojohnny

Tom the schedule time is between 2:10 to 2:20 however I have been onboard for 13 hours and 5 minutes!!! We could see the shore but the ice prevented us from reaching it! Godbout has a very small hotel in the restaurant by the dock and BC has tons of rooms. Both easy to reach on sled, I recommend making reservations because these ferries can get very full.

Andy

http://traversiers.com/ferries/matanebaie-comeaugodbout_19.php

ps: We were delayed once because the captain was cutting a dead whale out of the ice with the ferry!!!

Thanks Andy & Steven,

The thought of that long on a ferry is a nightmare! The ice issue is exactly why I have yet to go to the Gaspesie that way.

Best,

Tom

Tom

Don't let this make you hesitate going to the Gaspesie!! I have crossed many, many times without incident. Should something by chance happen, it is just part of this great adventure we call snowmobiling, and gives you something to write about on QR

Edited by smclelan

Looking for info on the ferries to Matane. Is it better/easier to leave from Godbout or Baie-Comeau? Are the ride times across consistent or do ice conditions affect or ever cancel the ferries? Any info would be appreciated. Also what is the best lodging in Godbout & Baie-Comeau?

It's been years since I've been to the power dams in Baie-Comeau & I've never crossed via ferry to Matane.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom if your solo Baie-comeau would be my choice. I've done that alone 2 or 3 times. The leg to godbout can get old quick imo ran that solo once never again. Call and make res. be to the ferry early hour to be safe. I've never had issue with delay's from either port lucky.

when are you thinking this trip?

Une quarantaine de passagers ont passé le réveillon du Nouvel An au milieu du fleuve Saint-Laurent dans l'Est-du-Québec, coincés sur le traversier Camille-Marcoux prisonnier des glaces.
Le traversier avait quitté Baie-Comeau vers 17h30 mardi soir avec une petite avec demi-heure de retard. Arrivé près de Matane, il est resté coincé dans des glaces trop épaisses. La marée basse aurait aussi joué un rôle dans l'évènement.

hi tom !!!

sorry ,too funny !!! i was thinking about andy and steven...just saw that on the net !!

about 40 pssenngers stuck in the thick ice near matane....looks like ,low tide played a role in that..

they had left baie comeau with half hr late at 5 30 pm...arrived in matane at 2 am !!!

looks like the mood was still great on the ferry !!!

happy new year !!!

jean-guy

Hi Wes,

I've never crossed at Colibri. How exactly is that done? Every time I've done the Gaspe run I've left from RDL.

Thanks,

Tom

Thats how we crossed back from the gathering. A guy picks you up in a van with an enclosed trailer, drops you off on the other side.

Hi Wes,

I've never crossed at Colibri. How exactly is that done? Every time I've done the Gaspe run I've left from RDL.

Thanks,

Tom

Too easy, pull into the yard at the Colibri, walk inside and ask them to call the shuttle. The 10 passenger van with a 4 place trailer pulls in and takes you to the other side for $30/sled. It drops you at the Berenices

Hey Momojohnny,

Let me know how TQ3 grooming looks out that way. I love the fast rollers!

I will, I dont have a smart phone. I will see if I can post conditions somehow. Hope to leave NH this saturday.

The first time I crossed from Godbout we left @ 5 pm & didn't get into Matane until 1 am

The ferry got stuck in the ice & then so did the ice breaker

Coldsmoke & his dad never made it the ferry turned around & went back to the cote nord

I have not used this but keep the info just incase.....

819-233-4414 trailer service from Auberge Godefroy across the 55 bridge to Hotel Coconut

http://www.remorquagemontpas.com

There you go Tom.

Thanks GT I was looking for that for him and could not find it in my memory banks here.

Call the Colibri.

Steven,

I was talking about the crossing at Route 55 to Trois Rivieres. Really not a big fan of TQ3 near Quebec City any day of the week. I will be running back to Shawinigan on a Sunday which makes it even worse. Would rather stay on the south side all the way to Trois Rivieres and cross there.