RIDE WHEN YOU CAN, DON'T PLAN!

lindasledgirl

Just had to start a NEW thread.

Let's see if we can share some info and help everyone out. Lot's of people wondering about Ontario and the UP and is there anything 'good' in Quebec.

Maybe we can share some thoughts as we all scramble to figure out a ride.

We had snow, good snow, for a month...I couldn't ride. NOW we have a good thaw and the riding is questionable at best. I have planned 3 trips now and hope to be on the trail in one week in the UP.

When I spoke with the Hotel Bernieres yesterday in Levis to cancel, she said there is NO trail. And it was raining again. NO charge to cancel, she was great. I will be back.

The Village Grand Nature...took 30% off two of us to cancel, but said they are ride able for sure (Cap Chat).

Madeline...well they have our money and have not replied to us trying to cancel.

Friends of mine left the area of Le Cabanon as it was too icey and raining but that was a few days ago now.

Jean-Guy (Gaspesie) has trails, but its ice there too.

Ontario has had a lot of trouble with water. The saddle bag trip is the hardest to put together. but our RAP (Ride around Algonquin Park) is open.

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/pdf/map_snowmobileRAPmap.pdf

Happy Trails!

Linda

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a PM, someone asked me to get out the boots and do a snow dance?

Well here you go! Two clippers on their way!

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-winter/clipper-systems-bring-cold-air-snow-great-lakes-northeast-20140111

Hi Linda, I never plan ahead, usually just a day or 2 before but that excludes Fri & Sat. We had already taken off work from midweek to midweek for the Gathering so we have to make the best of it and get Fri & Sat reservations! Hopefully it will get better, there is still 8 days to go!

This just in from Haute Madeline....189$. As per our cancellation policy will keep 94.50$ for cancellation fee.

Hi Linda, I never plan ahead, usually just a day or 2 before but that excludes Fri & Sat. We had already taken off work from midweek to midweek for the Gathering so we have to make the best of it and get Fri & Sat reservations! Hopefully it will get better, there is still 8 days to go!

Hi Mario!

I am in the same spot...although I don't have to stay off work for sure, I could go back...but I WANT to ride lol

Heading to the UP of Michigan. Trail pass a whopping $45! lol

Hope to see you in March maybe? Camp Gaspesie?

Linda

This just in from Haute Madeline....189$. As per our cancellation policy will keep 94.50$ for cancellation fee.

Hi Mario!

I am in the same spot...although I don't have to stay off work for sure, I could go back...but I WANT to ride lol

Linda

Well you are right there, UP not far for you, I would do the same thing if I was close!

hopefully March will work out!

Hi Mario!

Linda

Ask them if your cancelation fee can be used as a credit if you return in the same season, I got caught like that too with Kanawata and that's what they told me they do.

Good luck....sucks to spit money in the air

JG

IF YOU TRAVEL SUNDAY TO THURSDAY IN MOST CASES JUST CALL ONE DAY AHEAD AND YOU WOULD BE GOOD , so the most you lose is part of one day if they keep your money , but for them to keep it when there are no trails is sad and i would tell them you will book some were else unless they give you a credit for later this season..

I never plan more than one day ahead I called the universel in RDL last night to check on cancelling our Sunday night room and they told me I had until 4:00 pm on Sat. to cancel. Looking at western Quebec or Ontario

Well .... With Quebec not looking so good I'm headed Midwest to the U.P. Of Michigan I will be running the whole north shore of the U.P. I've been in touch with my contacts and there Is so much snow up there it's unbelievable. Copper Harbor said they might even be at a record this year already for snow. It's been snowing every day since Thanksgiving up there. No joke ! Wish you all luck hope you find snow.

Hi Katana11!

RAP is open...http://ofsc.mapbase.ca/viewer/ might have some caution areas, but you most definitely can make the trip.

I am leaving in one week, Wed morning and starting in Hulbert Michigan, riding for a week!

Linda

PS on the weekend we will be in Lake Gogebic, look for us! 6 doos, one old blonde female lol

I guess we have been fortunate. Over the years we have had to cancel many times due to conditions and I have never been charged for cancelling. I always cancel at least 24 hours before the reservation. I had to cancel at Bernieres St Nicholas and Universal RDL this past week. No problem at either one.

Thanks for the info Linda. Their cancelation policy is enough to keep me away.

Jack & Sandi

Well .... With Quebec not looking so good I'm headed Midwest to the U.P. Of Michigan I will be running the whole north shore of the U.P. I've been in touch with my contacts and there Is so much snow up there it's unbelievable. Copper Harbor said they might even be at a record this year already for snow. It's been snowing every day since Thanksgiving up there. No joke ! Wish you all luck hope you find snow.

Send us some pics of this area. Happy trails

Crazy

How many hrs of travel from poconos?

U running solo to the UP?

Tx Bj

I'm going to be where I want to be

Edited by KrazyKanuc62

Crazy

Tx Bj

BJ,

Thats got to be at least 12 hours. I picked up our puppy in Michigan and it took me 12 hours one way from North Jersey and the UP was at least another 2-3 hours. It was in feb and there where alot of trailers headed north.

Crazy

Tx Bj

BJ,

What's up .... it's about 13 hours and 850 miles, And yes I'm driving solo and meeting five others in Hulbert then we are saddle bagging across the whole top of th U P from Paradise to Ontonagon ,Lake Gogebic area then heading up to copper Harbor I have done this before 4 to 5 times and have never been disappointed in the U P ...The trails up there are Impeccable they groom all the time " they might even be better than Quebec " yes I said that ... lol believe me I wouldn't be going if I thought it wasn't going to be good ! I leave next wednesday morning around 1am .. Giddy Up !!! :drinks:

Hey Mike ,

see if you can get to lake gogebic for friday or Saturday .... We can meet @ the Hoop N Holler Tavern great place on the lake .. :drinks: Nice to know I'm not the only crazy one ... for me it's all about the snow ...

Edited by crazysnow

Will do Crazysnow ..hope to meet up with you...and no you are not the only crazy one ... I also do what i have to do ...jumped on a plane out west to ride early lol good times when there is snow lol

Mike

Edited by katana11