Coolest thing I have seen while snowmobiling

SkippyDoo

While enjoying the ride on trail 33 about 20 0r 30 miles west of Manawan. I come up on these critters. Mom was on the trail with one of the little one's. Then to my surprise another one came out. I was totally blown away that they sat there and let me watch them for awhile. It appeared to be mom with 2 little ones hunting rabbits. But there may have been a fourth cat that went in the woods right as I got there, but not sure. They seemed to not be bothered by us at all. Needless to say I slammed on the brakes and tried my best to not disturb them. We watched them for about 15 minutes or so. And they slowly wandered into the woods. I'm fairly confident they were Canadian lynx. The mom was a big cat for sure. And the "little" ones were much larger than any of then bobcats I have seen to date. Very large feet and long legs. Beautiful animals. The pictures don't really do them justice. I did my best. Thank god the camera had some battery left. This is something I never imagined I would ever see.

Oh by the way, with the exception of 33 south of Repos the trails were incredibile. (It was Sat afternoon so that's a given) Some of the best riding I have had in a couple of years.

post-1159-0-06818500-1394402312_thumb.jpgpost-1159-0-61019000-1394403402_thumb.jpgpost-1159-0-26832900-1394402316_thumb.jpgpost-1159-0-57557200-1394402320_thumb.jpg

Edited by SkippyDoo

Wow that awesome that they stayed so long, we saw 2 when we were in Mont Valin but they scattered into the woods, crazysnow manged to snap a couple of pics though.

What's up with 33 south of repos not being groomed very often? Not the first time I've seen it like that. Must be a reason. We hammered through it Saturday. Thank goodness 345 was outstanding on the way back. Must have been at least a 100 sleds at repos. I liked it better when it was one building and a gas pump...

Edited by stupe

While enjoying the ride on trail 33 about 20 0r 30 miles west of Manawan. I come up on these critters. Mom was on the trail with one of the little one's. Then to my surprise another one came out. I was totally blown away that they sat there and let me watch them for awhile. It appeared to be mom with 2 little ones hunting rabbits. But there may have been a fourth cat that went in the woods right as I got there, but not sure. They seemed to not be bothered by us at all. Needless to say I slammed on the brakes and tried my best to not disturb them. We watched them for about 15 minutes or so. And they slowly wandered into the woods. I'm fairly confident they were Canadian lynx. The mom was a big cat for sure. And the "little" ones were much larger than any of then bobcats I have seen to date. Very large feet and long legs. Beautiful animals. The pictures don't really do them justice. I did my best. Thank god the camera had some battery left. This is something I never imagined I would ever see.

Oh by the way, with the exception of 33 south of Repos the trails were incredibile. (It was Sat afternoon so that's a given) Some of the best riding I have had in a couple of years.

attachicon.gifP3070030.JPGattachicon.gifP3070031.JPGattachicon.gifP3070035.JPGattachicon.gifP3070039.JPG

Cool, you are lucky. I did not see much wildlife at all this year.

What's up with 33 south of repos not being groomed very often? Not the first time I've seen it like that. Must be a reason. We hammered through it Saturday. Thank goodness 345 was outstanding on the way back. Must have been at least a 100 sleds at repos. I liked it better when it was one building and a gas pump...

I try to ride north of Repo on the weekends, last time I was through there in January I did not even stop for gas. Sleds everywhere. But even with that many sleds 345 was pretty good.

The Repos Express ? The lake trail ? Yeah, would have been the better option. We did cross Toro though. That was a trip. They must have that drained nearly empty. Not supposed to be going up and down hills on a lake lol. Also forgot to mention the 33 trail goes through Manawan ? The "new" manawan bypass or old 33 is there but not groomed. Couldn't find the trail out. It must go across the lake somewhere ? So went back the way we came in and rode the ungroomed part. No big deal, short section. That caught me by surprise. I have never run that section of 33 before and wasn't aware that it now went through the villiage. It wasn't the scary place that I have been told it was. I would stop there for fuel now. No big deal. Plus it's nice to know there is a police station there if ever needed.

That a lynx in Kanawata also ? They were probably having a field day this weekend, the rabbits were everywhere.

Very nice shots!!!(pics). I hope to see them when I will ride this spot... There was some pics of them that have been posted last season about the same dates on CMIQ from the #33 near Manawan. They seems not shy at all. Only time I see one was a bit north of Mont-Apica on the #23 when going to LSJ maybe 7 or 8 years ago. Never had enought time to take a pic but I will never forget my eye contact with it... beautiful beast!

Alain

How tall would you say that first one is Tom? About 3 to 4 ft?

About 4 feet tall. They have 8-9 foot wingspans. You should see them coming in for a landing. They make screaming noises to warn of their incoming touchdown.

There is a huge population of them in our area of south Florida.

I saw one at the west end of Rimouski as you cross the river a couple years back. It got up into some thick cover on the riverbank and I couldn't get a clear picture.

- I was surprised to see one in such a populated area(?)

Edited by vt_bluyamaha54