Cote Nord Team Iceman 6 on 3

iceman

Having a BLAST (literally) BLAST'ing out Iceman's trough wide enough for 2-way folks that may come along before the groomer, and nuthin beats having NH Moose tailgunning in case McGuyver intervention is needed!

I guess we fooled ol' Murphy's Law this time! I had Pierre put the scratchers and Rouski wheels on last week! Ha! Might need them if we have to take Rt 138 back to the trucks!"Snowfall amounts possibly exceeding 20 centimetres are expected from Wednesday morning through Thursday. The snow combined with the strong winds will reduce visibilities to nearly zero in the blowing snow. A major storm originating from the Central United States is moving towards Quebec. Snow will begin Wednesday morning over Eastern Quebec and intensify during the day. Rapidly accumulating snow could make travel difficult over some locations. Winter storm watches are issued when multiple types of severe winter weather are expected to occur together."

Snowing with Thunder and Lightning in Shawinigan according to the Mrs.(and no she's not drinking the JACK tonight). Crazy weather.

I don't see any rhubarb just a whole lot of white stuff and some bug eyes, leap frog year.

Yeah no rhubarb just sunk right in the middle. Kind of in the twilight zone between real trail and imposter trail. "He who hesitates is lost" or in this case sunk to the running boards.

Day 2

Decisions, decisions, first off it is never easy to change things up when you got your mind set on something.

That said my momma did not raise no fool, and like the "gambler" himself good old Kenny Rogers said, "you gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away and know when to run".

We choose to run. With the snow being forecast like it is and high winds nothing has been groomed at all as they are waiting on the next storm tonight/tomorrow. We have seen enough drifts with the little wind theres been now and the trail 3 between Forrestville an Baie Comeau was not much different then yesterday. It seems as it had no action besides us yesterday.

We choose to not get stuck in Sept Isles after another dump as getting from Baie Comeau to Godbout it enough fun without doing it after another foot of snow. 2 feet ungroomed yeah no.

So reluctantly we swallowed our pride and let better judgement win out and we are in Forrestville.

Beautiful blue sky but cold today. Tempting us and trying to lure us east but we were not falling for it.

Once again east of Sept Isles eludes me and is left on the table for yet another time.

This was to be a shorter ride anyway with two team members needing to be back in QC city by Friday night. So it is what it be.

More on today's ride soon. Had some adventure.

I'll be back

Jam Tarts!!! LOL

Real men would have jumped on the ferry to the Gaspesie into the eye of the storm!!

Keep your updates coming

That was discussed but the plan was vetoed. Trucks are in Tadoussac.

Ok left Baie Comeau under blue sky. Windy and cold. Found trail mostly as we left it yesterday with litlle action on it except ours. Lots of new drifting overnight here and there.

We press on running west and following the single track we opened yesterday and breaking the new drifts as we go. No traffic incoming. Not 1hr into the day I had quite an experience, entering a sweeping left turn at a fairly good pace I was suddenly wondering "what the hell?" As my throttle is stuck 3/4 open and as I relaxed to start my turn and let off the gas a bit I'm confused as the bars are almost jerked from my hands by the stuck throttle. I was on it and quickly tried to free it but it stayed stuck, realizing it was now or never I stayed calm and hit the red engine cut off button. Just in time to glide to a safe stop in the fluff on the right.

A first for me ever. And worst part is why? After I stopped the cable was not returning back to off and after working it a bit got it to return back. Yeah but for how long? Well got no choice but to keep going so we go. i am gun shy to say the least and wondering if and when it sticks again will I be as lucky? Why it did it I have no clue. I am worried but slowly regain the confidence in it and got no choice but to trust the machine. Rest of the day it gives no problem. Maybe it's haunted.

Part way to Forrestville we see Team Green headed east, godspeed gentlemen.

Into Forrestville. Where we make a fatal error. We do not go to the SAQ to get the Jack as we done killed the bottle we got yesterday. By the time we return later we find the SAQ closed. Rookie move.

After gas and candy bars we head up the 3 east to the local loop north of forrestville. Fresh snow here but some action from people accesssing chalets etc. so it's not too bad. All the way to the top then right turn to Chenail du Nord for gas and soup and a visit with mon ami Ben.

Trail here is fast and has had sleds on it. We take full advantage and burn. When we leave we bactrack the 30 miles to where we jumped on and continue straight down at ludicrous speed to rejoin tq3. Back on 3 to Forrestville and here we are.

Tomorrow is a mystery.

Who knows.

Bummer dude , But you know enough when it's not right .. You will make it there when it is .

R

Enjoy the ride !

Thanks Randy it was a hard choice but I feel the right move cosidering all.

My guess with your throttle is busting drifts the throttle cable got some snow in it, then melted and froze and stuck.After riding it awhile and stopping the underhood heat thawed it again.

May be a problem only first thing in the mornings.Used to happen a lot on older vintage sleds.

Another plus for ITC on your new Enduro.

Pretty sure all the mfgrs say to check your throttle and brake before starting to make sure it returns freely.

Edited by NSHM

Sweet conditions! What happens when somebody is coming the other way on that bridge?

Teet it is quite a spectacular site...

post-51-0-99151800-1456926264_thumb.jpg

Iceman. That run from Sept Isle to Havre St Pierre has been elusive for me as well. We hope to make that run next year in March, plan to continue on into Southern Lab as well. From what I understand you only need one vehicle lift to get to lance au Clair lab, than onto Cartwright and Rigolet. Need to watch the conditions though, this year the south shore has been spotty in places in lab. Sorry you didn't make it this year, keep it on the list for sure lol. RR

My guess with your throttle is busting drifts the throttle cable got some snow in it, then melted and froze and stuck.After riding it awhile and stopping the underhood heat thawed it again.

May be a problem only first thing in the mornings.Used to happen a lot on older vintage sleds.

Another plus for ITC on your new Enduro.

Pretty sure all the mfgrs say to check your throttle and brake before starting to make sure it returns freely.

I agree