Writing an article, requesting input

Greg du Vermont

As the American Amabassador to the Association des motoneigiste du Quebec "AdmdQ" I have been invited to write an article for an upcoming edition of "Sports Motorises" a new quebec snowmobile magazine which the AdmdQ played a role in developing.

I have been asked to offer insight to the Quebec readers as to "Why we come" from an American perspective.

I know why I have chosen to return to Quebec for ten of thousands of miles since my first trip in 1984, but I wanted to invite my fellow QR's to offer some of your reasons for snowmobiling Quebec.

Please take a minute and offer a few thoughts and I will offer our combined thoughts into my article to our Quebec friends.

Thanks and think snow.

we ride in quebec for many reasons , the people are very hospitable and go out of there way to help if you have any problems , breakdowns ect.. the scenery is great as well as the trail conditions and trail markings,the clubhouses and food is unreal as well as the restaraunts and bars for night time activities quebec is my favorite destanation for snowmobiling!!!

We enjoy riding in QC. for many reasons, all of the above and also the simplicity of the system. I can stop in at any Hotel/Outfitter purchace a trail pass over the counter and recieve a FREE map and ride on the best maintained trails in the world. Stay at remote Outfitters or in five star hotel,it has it all...

we ride in quebec for many reasons , the people are very hospitable and go out of there way to help if you have any problems , breakdowns ect.. the scenery is great as well as the trail conditions and trail markings,the clubhouses and food is unreal as well as the restaraunts and bars for night time activities quebec is my favorite destanation for snowmobiling!!!

x2

The People and the Attitude toward snowmobiling is just Great.

Gutz

All of the above are true and the main reasons we all go north. Hospitality, weather, trail conditions, friendliness, how can you go wrong. Also, as we all have seen, the people are all learning to speak English to help make it even easier for us. Where else can you go knock on someones door for help and next thing you know, your sleds in their pickup on it's way to a dealer? The relays always warm with a hot meal, the clean, crisp air. The potential to make a 1,000 mile loop and only pass a handful of sleds opposing you. Scenery galore. We can go on and on. The bars with the "back rooms". :acute: Oh, and how can we forget Sagueney Bill.

It began with looking for an alternative place to ride. Then you discover well groomed trails, well marked trails, friendly people who go out of the way to help. A hotel system set up and inviting you to stay one night while you are saddlebagging. Dealers that put you in the FRONT of the line when you need service over their regular customers. Some of the most beautiful country on the planet. Adventure, Canada is always an adventure. I have reduced my riding in the US and this year I might not even bother riding here in the USA at all. I for one have been ruined by "The Great White North"...

:drinks:

I agree with everything above! My first trail riding experience came in Quebec, and after three years of that I started riding in New York for THREE YEARS without a Quebec ride. WOW was that stupid! I finnally went back and have not registered in New York since. Again the scenery the trails the hospitality and even in a bad winter there is still plenty of snow in most areas. After 11 years of day trips out of one place I will be saddle bagging this year. Cannot wait!!

Hard to add to all the previous post without repeating their words, but I will add.. infrastructure, and climate. Try to saddle bag for a week in northern New England.. you would need to register in at least 3 states, you would have no idea where all the hotels, restaurants, dealers, fuel, all that stuff are because it's not on the maps. You could run out of snow and or cold weather at some point.

In the Quebec towns I pass through I feel welcome. Sometimes at home I feel barely tolerated.

My first snowmobiling trip to Quebec was the winter of 1985-86, I was 21. I stopped at the caisse and exchanged $100.00 U.S. and continued my way over to the nearest bar where I got 3 beers and a happy ending and still had $100.00 when I left. :lol::lol: .........oh yeah, I almost forgot. Flat trails, great hospitality, beautiful scenery, and maple syrup.

As non-American's you probably don't want our input for your article Greg but just wanted to add anyway - All of the comments from above plus also for us, not only the hospitality of the Canadian's but, as new-comer's to the sport, the help, advice and friendship we have found from all our new made American friends (especiallly Bill and JD). Thank you all.

Quite apart from the fact that Pat and I actually met there, both fell in love with the place and snowmobiling and have tried to come to the region every year since - its a long way for us from the U.K. (She made me add that last paragraph!!)

Gary :)

Edited by SnomoGary

Our first trip to Quebec was January 2006. My first spring order shiny new snowmobile. The dates of my main trip every year is pretty much set in stone and that year there was GOOD snow only in the far off land of Lac St Jean. We only knew that from following the exploits of Sag Bill online. We had never even considered going to Quebec but we go until we find snow so off we went.

I had never been to Montreal so we spent the night in the downtown Sheraton, with the rigs parked in the underground garage. We were blown away by the snow once we headed north of QC City on the 2nd day of our drive.

We were struck by the natural beauty of the snow covered landscape. We were also struck by the other natural beauties, must be something in the water up there. Quebec is such a great snowmobile destination because not only can you reasonably rent a nice Chalet for 14 people on a frozen lake and spend a week daytripping, but you can also spend a week or more saddlebagging from town to town, hotel to hotel, stopping at a Relais to warm up, get some soup, meet new people, or buy a fur! The quality of the snow, the way the trails are groomed, the signage, and the services available within reach of the trails is unbeatable. I love riding through the wilderness all day then staying in 4 star hotel in a city with real nightlife. And in most places the food is excellent even though you sometimes need help with the menu. The first night of our first trip in Quebec a group came in from NY. One of the guys in their group blew a turn and shattered his leg pretty good. He was helped by some locals who were walking nearby. Can't say I've never gotten the cold shoulder by a skeptical Quebecois but by and large the people are extremely nice and hospitable and will speak english once they warm up to you (although going to Quebec is an excellent reason to learn another language - which I did - un peu).

One of my favorite memories of snowmobiling in Quebec was when a beautiful waitress in a tiny restaurant in L'Announciation told us "I trap Beaver". I'll never forget that!

What has not been said yet? All bases covered in my opinion.

-The trail system is second to none

-Ease of saddlebag trips from town to town.

-Great scenery

-Grooming is uncomparable

-Wildlife

-The home of poutine, I have yet to be in a "resto" without seeing a club-poutine on the menu, I love it!

-Some other notables would include: the "balet" & the beer not quite sure that would be appropriate in the article, they might think we are "des petits cochons sales americains"

I am sure you already have the option and the know how, but Greg if you are in need of a translator, I am fluent in the language. Grew up in Montreal, went to a french school.

It will be season # 30 for me this year and I feel that I have still only scratched the surface! The possibilities are endless, the hospitality is overwhelming, the trail system is second to none and the climate is perfect. I am indebted to the people of Quebec for allowing me to visit their country and take advantage of the amazing system they have worked so hard to create and maintain. You, my dedicated and hard working friends, have something to be very proud of! THANK YOU!

Wow...as a Quebec'er former Ontario resident and permanent perfectly bilingual Canadian...I say thank you. We appreciate your business and enjoy meeting new people from different areas who enjoy our climate. You don't know how many hate winter here and would love it if they never saw snow again. Sometimes we only hear the bad things(thefts, ignorance and greed) It's nice to hear something positive. And the language barrier is much smaller than 20-30 years ago...thanks mostly to television lol IMO

Mustang00

:drinks

ps. the only thing i would change is....i wish more americans would come to our neck of the woods...we are not in a high tourist area. Actually I rarely see anyone from the states here in Monteregie area

post-61-1256955683.jpg

Edited by mustang00

I found Quebec the same way actionjack did! Winter 2006 wasnt kind in the U.S. and I had just bought a new Yamaha 4stroke. We ride vermont and there was no snow so we tried a 4 day trip to Tug Hill and left after 1 day. There was plenty of snow (4 feet +) but they dont know what to do with it! Then I started folling Saguenay Bill and Robs "tales" of 10,000 mile winters. March 2006 changed riding forever when I picked up the phone and called Motel Safari and talked to Bernard who told me not only was there plenty of snow but it was groomed and flat and we could saddlebag for 1000s of miles. All three of them were telling the truth. We left shawinigan and rode 325 miles on the 1st day to see Bill at the HI. Day 2 we went down 23 and to the ice hotel then back to Bernards for 350 miles. The 3 of us were in disbelief at how flat and fast the trails were. ALL the scenery was amazing and beautiful. We only passed 12 or15 sleds the whole loop. We even passed a groomer on 23 that was grooming an already perfect trail!! We stopped and talked to him for a few minutes then Thanked him. I have bought a season pass and have been back every year since and will continue to ride Quebec. Hopefullyfor a long time to come. The people are top knotch. Bernard got us to his place only to send us on an over night trip to another hotel!! We have limped into a dealer at 10am and had them drop what they are doing and spend 45 minutes or so to fix a clutch problem and send us on our way!!!

Wow...as a Quebec'er former Ontario resident and permanent perfectly bilingual Canadian...I say thank you. We appreciate your business and enjoy meeting new people from different areas who enjoy our climate. You don't know how many hate winter here and would love it if they never saw snow again. Sometimes we only hear the bad things(thefts, ignorance and greed) It's nice to hear something positive. And the language barrier is much smaller than 20-30 years ago...thanks mostly to television lol IMO

Mustang00

:drinks

ps. the only thing i would change is....i wish more americans would come to our neck of the woods...we are not in a high tourist area. Actually I rarely see anyone from the states here in Monteregie area

I was not sure where that region was located! Just found it on the map, turns out I drive through it everytime I head up to Quebec. How is the snow coverage in that region? Snow always seems a little thin when we drive through. Do you have more pics of this area? This might be something to consider if I do not have the time to drive as far north! I am from SE Pennsylvania and some of the places I have been to are 10 to 15 hours of driving depending on the weather.

I was not sure where that region was located! Just found it on the map, turns out I drive through it everytime I head up to Quebec. How is the snow coverage in that region? Snow always seems a little thin when we drive through. Do you have more pics of this area? This might be something to consider if I do not have the time to drive as far north! I am from SE Pennsylvania and some of the places I have been to are 10 to 15 hours of driving depending on the weather.

\\Don't let the map fool you we have a lot of great trails and start taking care in early november choping the plowed fields.

i have always done at least 1500mls a year here and could do more if i had more money as for logding there is a local establishement that has that and

adult entertainment as well

As the American Amabassador to the Association des motoneigiste du Quebec "AdmdQ" I have been invited to write an article for an upcoming edition of "Sports Motorises" a new quebec snowmobile magazine which the AdmdQ played a role in developing.

I have been asked to offer insight to the Quebec readers as to "Why we come" from an American perspective.

I know why I have chosen to return to Quebec for ten of thousands of miles since my first trip in 1984, but I wanted to invite my fellow QR's to offer some of your reasons for snowmobiling Quebec.

Please take a minute and offer a few thoughts and I will offer our combined thoughts into my article to our Quebec friends.

Thanks and think snow.

Hey Greg from Vermont, Do you know how many Americans register up in Quebec? How big of a slice of the entire sledding population are we?

My first time riding in Quebec was 1984. Had read about 6 months of riding in the area in an advertisement that Quebec Tourisme had send me. My wife and I left NJ at 3:30AM that Friday morning from NJ. Got 30 miles and hit black ice. We were in a rest area on 287 for 4 hours until sanders got out. Got to Plattsburg and ran into snow. 87 was closed due to an accident. Went up Rt 9 and back on to 87. Time we got to Montreal area roads were terrible due to snow and the "blue collars" were on strike. Spend the night near Montreal. Got our first taste of the friendly Quebec folks that night at dinner. Got up early the next morning and headed to Jonquiere. Stopped for gas in Drummondville. While I was getting gas a guy came up with jumper cables in his hand. He asked me if I would jump start his car, which I did. When we started up 175 out of Quebec City I couldn't believe the frost heaves on that road. Couldn't go over 30 MPH becasue of them. Got to Jonquiere at 1PM and had two cases of Labatt's blue waiting for us at the motel. The company I had worked for at that time was owned by Labatt. When I told a Labatt guy that I was going to Jonquiere to snowmobile he told me his secreatary was from there. She called Joe Thomas, who is now the VP for the area for the FCMQ. He had a guy come to the motel with maps and stickers. Poor guy didn't speak any English and me no French but we got along. On Sunday my wife and I are riding and we come upon a check point. I didn't know anything about a trail pass be required. Well we go into a shack and some how we found out we needed one. Got it, I think it was $50 per sled. Fellow in the shack was there with his wife and 2 kids. He invites us for coffee at a diner. He says it's about 10 miles down the trail. He his wife and 2 kids get on his sled and take off. I saw his tail light for about 15 seconds. We follow the trail and then see him waiting for us at the road. Never saw him after that day until 3 years ago. He is now the President of the Saguenay Club. After riding that week for 6 1/2 days of great trails that I could not believe we were hooked. Been going back every since. Hard to believe it's been that many years. ago. I have made and continue to make great friends. That long ago maybe 1 in every 20 people you met spoke English. Now I would say 1 in every 5. Language was never a problem because the Quebec people made you feel so much at home.