Now this is a trip, anyone else following

BOBLER

3 hours ago, Signfan said:

Hope they're carrying a firearm.  Heading up into polar bear country.  Bears are probably still out on the sea ice, but I wouldn't be taking any chances.

Hard to say with the winter we have had there likely isn't typical ice levels.  It hasn't been a cold winter.

The guys are heading to Schefferville on the Riviere De pas. They had a mishap yesterday when one of the team members hit a big rock on the tundra and tore the front suspension bolt right out of the tunnel! No problem they say and take out their come along and drill and angle iron and bolts and do a repair in the field! Absolutely amazing resilience and determination!

432182005_7414966058582931_7774333419398251600_n.jpg

Transmission issues as well before last layover. 
I find it fascinating. Ride of a lifetime. Now once they open the groomed Hudson Bay Northern white road count me in.

Edited by iceman

These are men that have spirit and no quit in them...the qualities that have made the free world so great...can't doesn't exist...all heart and can do...remarkable trip and effort...I've personally never seen anything like this

Jean Guys transmssion failed coming into Schefferville and they tore it apart last night and rebuilt it with borrowed parts from a local guys own sled!  heading to Fermont now very mild and rain showers today. Plus 8 tomorrow!

The guys only got 25 miles out of Schefferville and Serges transmission had a massive failure with a gear blowing a hole right through the case. They unloaded the sleigh put the dead sled on it and strapped all the gear onto the dead sled and other sleighs and towed the entire way to Fermont! Local Labrador boys went out and met them 75km north of Lab City to help them. They are in rebuild mode at this time, very mild there today.

tremendous amount of force continually on these drive lines with the high low range transmissions...and traditionally there isn't a large volume of lube in the chain case...I see no evidence of any fluid in the above picture ...nothing but dry gears and bearing race...something dry siezed and snapped the aluminum housing for surecould be a lower shaft seal leaked inside the tunnel or engine compartment....bad luck for sure