Where am I? Trail quiz.

rob

Be there in 37 days

Will you be able to post trail conditions while you are up there, or not until you get home?

We plan on being there the following week, either way looking forward to your report ER.

Think snow!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like your thinking but you plan on riding in 37 days??? :wacko:

his name is Early Rider for a reason, even last year they went up the weekend before thanksgiving although the snow was pretty much wiped out.

ER looking forward to a live report, we're coming up Friday after T-day and riding till Tuesday if mother nature cooperates this year

his name is Early Rider for a reason, even last year they went up the weekend before thanksgiving although the snow was pretty much wiped out.

ER looking forward to a live report, we're coming up Friday after T-day and riding till Tuesday if mother nature cooperates this year

I know he did...but he ran all the way to Valin for 150 miles... :wacko:

Why are there so many vehicles way up there? Do they work at the dam or something?

Hi Scorpionbowl,

This parking lot is located at Onatchiway, right next to the entrance of the "private" Onatchiway Club. You have to pay to circulate on these trails network. Every week-ends, a lot of people from the Chicoutimi area drive the trucks/trailers and go to their camps on the Private Onatchiway Club. See map (yellow area on the top).

HDen

Hi Scorpionbowl,

This parking lot is located at Onatchiway, right next to the entrance of the "private" Onatchiway Club. You have to pay to circulate on these trails network. Every week-ends, a lot of people from the Chicoutimi area drive the trucks/trailers and go to their camps on the Private Onatchiway Club. See map (yellow area on the top).

HDen

Thanks. I just didn't see any trailers, and there are a lot of SUV's and enclosed trucks.

I was thinking the same thing, all the cars and trucks and not a one trailer, not even a sled.

What this picture does not show is dozens of small garage buildings where the locals keep their sleds so they don't have to tow them up and down that crazy road. Actually the road is fine it is the 18 wheelers that run at very high speeds that are the problem. I drove down that road at 4:30 am and was passed by a number of trucks heading northbound to reload! Here is a pic to show the trail conditions and scenery in early January last winter.

Andy

What this picture does not show is dozens of small garage buildings where the locals keep their sleds so they don't have to tow them up and down that crazy road. Actually the road is fine it is the 18 wheelers that run at very high speeds that are the problem. I drove down that road at 4:30 am and was passed by a number of trucks heading northbound to reload! Here is a pic to show the trail conditions and scenery in early January last winter.

Andy

So are they able to buy a season's pass to ride in the Zec? Or more likely, they tell the wife they're going riding, but drink bieres all day at the relais.

Some of the guy's in the big rig are a bit crazy I think, even the logging trucks blow by you like you are standing still on a corner even. They must handle well.

Is the Zec, One way trails? someone had told me that before? I am not sure.

Some of the guy's in the big rig are a bit crazy I think, even the logging trucks blow by you like you are standing still on a corner even. They must handle well.

I guess they would be one-way if you got lost...Maybe they meant dead-end, no loops?

The trails are not one way. We bought a pass I believe it was for 3 days for $35. I might be a couple of bucks off on the cost but it is in this range. The trails are groomed to perfection and it is beautiful country. If you are interested there are areas north of this Zec where you can ride in the back country if you have the sled and gear to do it on. As for all the vehicles parked these folks have cabins in this area and it is their organization who operate the Zec. So be polite as it is THEIR Zec. They sell passes to help them finance their operations and believe me it is a pristine area. One other thing to mention is it is possible to sneak into the Zec via the Mont Valin trails however I strongly recommend that you do not do this for a couple of reasons the first being these folks need the cash to maintain these beautiful trails and secondly it is illegal and yes you will be checked and caught and fined as they patrol constantly and all the Zec members watch who is riding in their area. Here are a few pics. The trail pics are in the north end of the Zec and by the way it gets very cold so if your hand warmers quit you might stop on the trail and dismantle your Yammie trying to fix them. The pic of the dam is by the Relais at Onatchiway.

Andy

The trails are not one way. We bought a pass I believe it was for 3 days for $35. I might be a couple of bucks off on the cost but it is in this range. The trails are groomed to perfection and it is beautiful country. If you are interested there are areas north of this Zec where you can ride in the back country if you have the sled and gear to do it on. As for all the vehicles parked these folks have cabins in this area and it is their organization who operate the Zec. So be polite as it is THEIR Zec. They sell passes to help them finance their operations and believe me it is a pristine area. One other thing to mention is it is possible to sneak into the Zec via the Mont Valin trails however I strongly recommend that you do not do this for a couple of reasons the first being these folks need the cash to maintain these beautiful trails and secondly it is illegal and yes you will be checked and caught and fined as they patrol constantly and all the Zec members watch who is riding in their area. Here are a few pics. The trail pics are in the north end of the Zec and by the way it gets very cold so if your hand warmers quit you might stop on the trail and dismantle your Yammie trying to fix them. The pic of the dam is by the Relais at Onatchiway.

Andy

Awsome pic's, looks like a great place to ride. :good:

I doo have my passes for the PQ but let me ask you this question.

If you ride the Zec only, doo you still have to purchase a PQ pass?

Awsome pic's, looks like a great place to ride. :good:

I doo have my passes for the PQ but let me ask you this question.

If you ride the Zec only, doo you still have to purchase a PQ pass?

No to the best of my knowledge you do not as the ZEC is private. However if you travel all that way you will want to enjoy all of the area. Here is one more pic of the Zec.

Andy