St-Zénon/Parent loop photo ride-report 22-23 march 2014

towing

I would like to be more present on the forum but it’s not easy…being pretty busy these days, it's been a long time since my last pics ride report… at least, here we go with a real one:

I had really liked my last year trip to Parent, enough to repeat the experience this year. We choose the same path but in the opposite direction to change. Here is the first day of our trip .

CARTE_zps4536131e.jpg

Snowcruiser, Bily, Steph, Krikri and I starting from La Glacière in St-Zenon under the snow Saturday morning

DSC03564_zps0b53e45e.jpg

Aside from a little section on the #350 that join the #23, the trails were freshly groomed

DSC03568_zps737149f7.jpg

DSC03570_zps71493498.jpg

The whole trip crew ... if Steph had not cheated taking his etech we would have had one of each manufacturers !

DSC03572_zpsd3cc049b.jpg

We quickly arrived at the Mattawin river bridge

DSC03576_zps10656574.jpg

The flow of the river is very low right now, since the Taureau reservoir is already emptied ...

DSC03580_zpse0a0953c.jpg

It was snowing less as we progressed ...

DSC03582_zpsdf174786.jpg

We took the #345 trail to the north. Here another break this time on the bridge near the Gilardo dam

DSC03591_zps50e4378f.jpg

Have you noticed that I love rivers?! it's so beautiful in winter ... even though technically we are already in spring !

DSC03594_zps2509cecf.jpg

We continued north ...

DSC03601_zps832afd29.jpg

A quick break at the Lac Repos Outfitters

DSC03605_zpsb9ed17ed.jpg

And we continued on the #33 to the Manawan

DSC03610_zps437283a2.jpg

Where we refueled and lunched .

DSC03612_zps1be9efd5.jpg

The restaurant’s choice is quite limited but we ate very well there.

DSC03617_zps38957a80.jpg

We then continued on the #33 westbound

DSC03621_zpsce260c49.jpg

The sun finally pointed giving us much better visibility and much nicer scenery also

DSC03626_zpse3e59767.jpg

Another snowy trail, but no bump at all

DSC03627_zpsc8a69d53.jpg

At this intersection, the #33 usually turns north but this section is closed due to forestry work. We continued straight to the #53 junction

DSC03629_zps64a5c1b1.jpg

Further north forestry work again diverted the path to the west side outside the map path and we finally got at Lu-Nic relay, a detour of 10-15 miles

DSC03636_zpsb502cb61.jpg

We continued north to join the #13

DSC03638_zpsc33833da.jpg

The trails were beautiful and also very snowy scenery

DSC03640_zps2958a3e9.jpg

DSC03644_zps5e7127c1.jpg

We stopped to refuel ...

DSC03654_zps3921694f.jpg

at Pourvoirie des Cents lakes. It was a little later than expected, near 5:30 pm when we left.

DSC03655_zps2a4b5974.jpg

The section north from Cents Lacs is slower and twisty for about 15 miles, a little tiring at the end of the day like that. Fortunately since the daylight hour change, we have the sun with us really later ...

DSC03660_zps29dd3316.jpg

Just after this section we could blip the throttle again

DSC03677_zps734e4828.jpg

DSC03678_zpsfe03979f.jpg

We took a last break near this sign that I like ...

DSC03679_zps8c071467.jpg

Look at the snowbank right from the shack

DSC03679A_zpsbe47aa0a.jpg

Yes it is a small 4x4 with 4ft+ snow on top!

DSC03679B_zps291d77e2.jpg

We did the last stretch ...

DSC03680_zps20537371.jpg

Before arriving at the Domaine de l'Ombre du Vent at 6:45 p.m.

DSC03683_zps11556955.jpg

After paying, we dropped off our luggage in the chalet and immediately left to go to the village about 5 minutes by snowmobile. It started snowing very hard when we arrived ...

DSC03691_zps6dcddfb1.jpg

We had our supper at the legendary Hotel Central

DSC03693_zpsd12f7f6e.jpg

Before being back to enjoy the chalet and relax in chatting with friends ... a real very nice sledding day!

Sunday morning -23C, sunrise view from the cottage window ...

DSC03715_zps60eca014.jpg

We enjoyed the cottage kitchen’s facilities and slowly started our day self-making our breakfast and relax at watching the sun rise ...

DSC03702_zpsf3c38c67.jpg

We had a good run ahead on Sunday, about the same mileage as the Saturday but more straight and fast trails. Here is the track of the day :

DSCcarte2_zpsd4d4dd54.jpg

Beautiful chalet!

DSC03717_zpsed79c81a.jpg

And we took the #83 east

DSC03733_zps33b39710.jpg

With night snow, it was easy to see the bunch of track on this spot. We stopped to observe them and around. I was hoping to maybe see a lynx on this trip since few of you had seen some this year in the Manawan area and also near the Kanawata .

DSC03738_zps08431ce2.jpg

Unfortunately, just tracks. We not see very well on the pic, feline or canine paw?

DSC03741_zps35d166e6.jpg

We continued

DSC03746_zpsbb988be3.jpg

DSC03744_zps0a97f5fc.jpg

The trails were fast and with the fluffy stuff over the trail it raise a lot of snow powder in the air

DSC03750_zps44e09803.jpg

" He Bily! come with us for a beautiful spring ride" that I had written to him the week before ... It’s not my fault if the spring is chilly this year!

DSC03742_zpsca71a885.jpg

And we continued on the #83 ...

DSC03753_zps6fd1e07b.jpg

Beautiful ...

DSC03759_zps8c5b42f8.jpg

and fast ...

DSC03761_zpsbec12a74.jpg

DSC03764_zps4e8910b3.jpg

Few miles before the #345 junction , the trail leaves the main road that was plowed and pass through a wooded path. A little more narrow and winding but it ride very well with beautiful views

DSC03768_zps780f68e3.jpg

DSC03769_zpsebf02ec3.jpg

And then we took the #345 trail to the south

DSC03773_zps892cd31a.jpg

Only a few snowmobile tracks since last grooming, even more beautiful than the #83

DSC03783_zpsb261a7ae.jpg

Few of you will recognize this place ?

DSC03795_zps8cb53b12.jpg

A very good clue ...

DSC03796_zps2f7fd7e2.jpg

Yes, it was Casey and the relai de la petite Gare ,closed since 2 years now and for sale ... interested ?

DSC03797_zps0ae75ac9.jpg

It was top notched ...

DSC03801_zpsf08a6876.jpg

up to the Auberge Kanawata...

DSC03813_zps3b87b471.jpg

where we stopped to refuel

DSC03810_zps322c53cd.jpg

We would have liked to lunch there, but it was their last operation day of the hostel and they were at cleaning the kitchen. The owner insure me that they would still offer fuel in the coming weeks even if the hostel is closed to eat/sleep. On the spot they are, this is actually a necessary service ... thanks to him to keep someone there to offer this service!

Here a picture of their monstrous Dozer ... might be called Bulldozer ...

DSC03811_zpsab76b96f.jpg

And we continued southward. Woodlands are clear and there were snow drifts in some spots… had to be careful.

DSC03814_zps7f829326.jpg

We took a short pic’s break here ...

DSC03824_zpsf4d1620d.jpg

Did I told you I like the rivers!

DSC03827_zps436f579f.jpg

We finally arrived at the Pourvoirie du Lac Repos for dinner and make last fuel up close to 1:20 pm

DSC03856_zpsb575e77f.jpg

It’s finally the only lynx I saw on this ride ...

DSC03858_zpsda6ab56c.jpg

After a good meal, we took back the trail at 2:30 p.m. Having another 100 miles to do, the gang held a very good pace

DSC03878_zpsa3a3c563.jpg

Here a short break at the M20 junction

DSC03880_zps622155aa.jpg

Unless some snow blades to watch ...

DSC03886_zps1f2f1db6.jpg

The trails were in good condition up to the Cabanon

DSC03911_zps50ff79c1.jpg

The only ruff section was from the Cabanon to la Glacière , 20 miles on a 500+ miles ride

DSC03919_zps8efe485d.jpg

We were finally back to our starting point a little past 6:00 p.m. with a total of 519 miles on the dreameter for the 2 days

DSC03925_zps95fe0619.jpg

Another great ride for us, the conditions had nothing looking like spring, just winter cold and lots of snow. Despite we know that the season will ended soon, there is still very nice ride to do, among the most beautiful conditions of this season. I just advise you to prepare your rides a little more because some hostels or service point have ceased or will cease their operations soon ... the trail conditions website and the forums are good tools to get well prepared ...

http://snowmobilecountry.ca/en/conditions

It may been the last pics report for me this season. We certainly been on the trail a couple shots before hanging up but not much spare time these days…

Have a very good season ending and ride carefully

Alain

Edited by towing

Great report Alain & fantastic pictures Krikri. What amazing conditions for March 23! We all were blessed with a long snowmobile season this year. 3 full months of good riding conditions.

It's always a pleasure to read your reports. It feels like we are riding with you.

Have a great spring!

Best,

Tom

Edited by Florida Snowman

Alain - thank you for taking your time to share your trip. I always enjoy your reports and pictures. It has been a good season that began with promise, then rained, then got so bitter cold and now finishes with so much snow that it seems will not be enjoyed before the season ends.

Looks like a great two days. Great pictures and report as always Alain. Hopefully you can get at least one more run in.

Thanks

Thank you smclelan! one more run already done yesterday, 382 miles from home!

Great report Alain & fantastic pictures Krikri. What amazing conditions for March 23! We all were blessed with a long snowmobile season this year. 3 full months of good riding conditions.

It's always a pleasure to read your reports. It feels like we are riding with you.

Have a great spring!

Best,

Tom

Thank you Tom! it's been 4 months today since my first ride this season on groomed trails, and there are still some ahead... an amazing season, hoping for a copy/paste for the next one!!!

Have a great spring too...

Alain - thank you for taking your time to share your trip. I always enjoy your reports and pictures. It has been a good season that began with promise, then rained, then got so bitter cold and now finishes with so much snow that it seems will not be enjoyed before the season ends.

You are welcome vt_blueyamaha54! The overall colder winter since more than 20years weathermen said... Personally we are truly blessed because during the two January rain weekend we were anyway outside the country...can't dream of a better timing!!!

Another very nice report and pictures. I too love the rivers, thanks for posting.

mike

Thanks mikerider! we will get along!

Thank you Alain, hard to believe the season is coming to and end, on a hot summer day will look back at these reports again.

You are welcome mccafrey! very few spring signs till now, but it's were it goes. Many clubs get out of money and close with the month ending... A virtual ride on an hot summer day is refreshing for sure!!!

Awesome trip and pics.Always look forward to them!

The print you wondered about was a feline, a dog /wolf /coyote,can't hide his claws.

Think Snow!!

Than you NSHM! I think the same about the foot print... and the snow!!!

Nice pics Thanks

One word, INCREDIBLE!

Thank you guys!!!

As the April month arrive it is still possible to plan a ride but do your homework before and search/phone and check before because some clubs are closing and the trail network begin to break up but with the actual snow cover riding is still possible for sure. Take a look there for condition of my playground

I will try to post you something for my yesterday ride... stay tuned...

Alain

Edited by towing

Thank you smclelan! one more run already done yesterday, 382 miles from home!

Thank you Tom! it's been 4 months today since my first ride this season on groomed trails, and there are still some ahead... an amazing season, hoping for a copy/paste for the next one!!!

Have a great spring too...

You are welcome vt_blueyamaha54! The overall colder winter since more than 20years weathermen said... Personally we are truly blessed because during the two January rain weekend we were anyway outside the country...can't dream of a better timing!!!

Thanks mikerider! we will get along!

You are welcome mccafrey! very few spring signs till now, but it's were it goes. Many clubs get out of money and close with the month ending... A virtual ride on an hot summer day is refreshing for sure!!!

Than you NSHM! I think the same about the foot print... and the snow!!!

Thank you guys!!!

As the April month arrive it is still possible to plan a ride but do your homework before and search/phone and check before because some clubs are closing and the trail network begin to break up but with the actual snow cover riding is still possible for sure. Take a look there for condition of my playground

I will try to post you something for my yesterday ride... stay tuned...

Alain

Thanks for the GREAT reports all season long !! The pics always get the blood flowing winter or summer. Thanks Dave L

Thanks for the GREAT reports all season long !! The pics always get the blood flowing winter or summer. Thanks Dave L

You are welcome Dave! will post an other "last one report" very soon....

Thanks for posting, next year we will run into each other for sure!

My pleasure markusvt!!! we had checked very closely at the lynx spot near the Kanawata and but were not as lucky as you were...

Hoping our path will crossed next season...

Alain

Thanks for posting your trail report Alain, better late then never.

New sled next year????

You are welcome JG!!

It's not easy for me to find something to replace my set-up... test ride a new Venture and a new Grand touring 1200SE in the last month. Just make me realize how sweet is the ride on my old venture, only the old style position sucks on her...still thinking...dreammeter clicking up in the meantime!

And on your side, smelling new stuff??

Alain

You are welcome JG!!

It's not easy for me to find something to replace my set-up... test ride a new Venture and a new Grand touring 1200SE in the last month. Just make me realize how sweet is the ride on my old venture, only the old style position sucks on her...still thinking...dreammeter clicking up in the meantime!

And on your side, smelling new stuff??

Alain

Friend with us on our trip had a SR Viper, it's growing on me but needs a turbo for my liking.

Dream meter is still young for me 28 000klms

Alain...great pictures. I am from PA and had the chance to ride in Lanaudiere (Saint Donat area), this past January and early February. Best riding I have ever seen since we have been riding in Quebec. It was very, very cold....but that's snowmobiling! Today I finally did what I have been putting off.....summarized our sleds. We have had no rideable snow for about a month now. I wish I was in Quebec to ride! Instead....all I can do is look forward to next year when we will be back. Thanks again for the great pictures.