Feb 2015 Gaspe Loop

Snownyet

New member here, longtime lurker and experienced Quebec snowmobiler. This winter will be our groups first Gaspe trip the first week in Feb. Starting from RDL on 2/1, we've set aside 6 days of riding with a 2 day contingency "just in case". Between reading here and google searches I think I've got a good handle on what we want to do but I have a couple of questions about accomodations. We'd like flexibility if possible but we dont want problems, so are there any areas where we can get by without reservations and wing it day by day? Also Id like to hear about those hotels, relais and B&B's that are an absolute must stay and are worth altering plans or extending a days mileage to reach? Like many others who sled, after a long day on the trails, we like a nice meal and a bar, hotubs and comfy beds. So while we want to take the time to enjoy the area, we're not opposed to going out of our way or pushing out sime mileage to get to the right place for the night.

Haha. Well you are starting off with the right attitude, you need two extra days "just in case"!! Most places in the Gaspe that early in February you should be safe to just drive in. However learning from experience it doesn't hurt to try to book the day before on weekends because of hockey tournaments etc. Be sure to run some of the interior trails if possible, 595, 597, and the trail from Carleton to the 595. The trail from La Cache to Murdochville is also very nice.

As far as places to stay that are a bit high end, the Roitel in Matane, the Francis in New Richmond, and the Select in Amqui. Staying in Mont Saint Pierre at the Motel/Hotel is a must, it is iconic!

One way to do it would be to plan your route first, then depending on what towns you plan to end up in, decide whether or not you should reserve ahead of time. The larger towns, such as Gaspe and the more populated areas along the southern route will probably have options enough where you don't have to make reservations. The interior and/or some of the smaller villages along the north coast, you will want to have a reservation such as Murdochville and Mont St Pierre.

If you end up near Carleton Sur Mer, the Baie Blue Hotel was terrific. The nicest place we stayed in 7 days. Just off the main trail (5) comfortable rooms, terrific restaurant, bar and reasonably priced.

post-1561-0-07418000-1416238776_thumb.jpg Baie Blue

post-1561-0-94550600-1416239190_thumb.jpg Riotel Matane

post-1561-0-90208900-1416239234_thumb.jpg Baie Blue

post-1561-0-59579200-1416238959_thumb.jpgHotel Copper Murdochville

post-1561-0-00851800-1416239598_thumb.jpg LaCache

post-1561-0-41431200-1416239760_thumb.jpg Hotel Mont St. Pierre

btw, yes, work is slow today :) Enjoy!

One way to do it would be to plan your route first, then depending on what towns you plan to end up in, decide whether or not you should reserve ahead of time. The larger towns, such as Gaspe and the more populated areas along the southern route will probably have options enough where you don't have to make reservations. The interior and/or some of the smaller villages along the north coast, you will want to have a reservation such as Murdochville and Mont St Pierre.

If you end up near Carleton Sur Mer, the Baie Blue Hotel was terrific. The nicest place we stayed in 7 days. Just off the main trail (5) comfortable rooms, terrific restaurant, bar and reasonably priced.

attachicon.gif20140222_065314.jpg Baie Blue

attachicon.gif20140217_164858.jpg Riotel Matane

attachicon.gif20140222_065319.jpg Baie Blue

attachicon.gif20140221_085942.jpgHotel Copper Murdochville

attachicon.gif20140221_130612.jpg LaCache

attachicon.gif20140219_074939.jpg Hotel Mont St. Pierre

Thanks for the advise we will also be visiting the Gaspe for the first time this year. Probably the first week of March. Have not pinned down the exact week.

Thanks for the advise we will also be visiting the Gaspe for the first time this year. Probably the first week of March. Have not pinned down the exact week.

March is the best time for the Gaspe, we are also looking at possibly the second week in March!

Hi Mario,

I'm game for that same week.

Best,

Tom

Hi Tom...I think there is a "limit" on sledders from NJ going to the Gaspie ......I got first choice !!

What if Jackstraw shows up?

All kidding aside, it would be great to meet up with you or anyone else on QR, last year we met up with Linda and Dave (Snowfarmer) and sledded the rest of the way back with Snowfarmer & wife and it was awesome!

Maybe Snowfarmer will join us again!?

The Gathering is at the end of that second week so we will see how and if we can work around it as we get closer.

See you on the trails.

attachicon.gif20140222_065314.jpg Baie Blue

attachicon.gif20140217_164858.jpg Riotel Matane

attachicon.gif20140222_065319.jpg Baie Blue

attachicon.gif20140221_085942.jpgHotel Copper Murdochville

attachicon.gif20140221_130612.jpg LaCache

attachicon.gif20140219_074939.jpg Hotel Mont St. Pierre

Great closing remark…..bty, yes, work is slow toady, enjoy! What year were the photos taken. Thanks for sharing…Paddy O NY, NY , USA

Thieves are thieves, that's a fact. But "secure parking" is anything but secure. A locked pen is slightly better than not, but no one is looking at the cameras, if they even work, or have enough resolution to see a face, or recorded anything, and if they see a face so what it's over. They give gate keys to anyone that walks up to the counter in exchange for a fake ID, gates are left open for hours at a time, you could spend an hour in the pen taking whatever you want from any vehicle or trailer. Unless another slender catches on, no one will.

They put on a show, that's about all you can expect.

Best example last season was at Hotel Universal in RDL in March. The lobby was a zoo, there is no way they can watch a pen full of vehicles, it's just not realistic to believe that.

Here is a photo of their the "locked" gate. See a problem here? Apparently they did not. I showed/explained the situation to the hotel manager, he said he'd get his maintenance guy right in it.

Worse yet was when passed through RDL 3 weeks later in April, for giggles we drove by the gate and guess what, the situation was EXACTLY THE SAME.

It's simple, assume the worst and bring your own security, plan as if it's a bad neighborhood.

You'll have a better sense your stuff will be there when you return. You don't want to be the easy mark, make them move along to the next rig that's got less or no security.

post-478-0-97652100-1416548707_thumb.jpg

Great closing remark…..bty, yes, work is slow toady, enjoy! What year were the photos taken. Thanks for sharing…Paddy O NY, NY , USA

Mid Feb, 2014. The Gaspe got hit very hard with a major storm 3 days before we arrived and just enough time for the groomers to do their thing. Couldn't have been better!

Thanks for the hotel advice guys advice guys, we dont like to over plan our stops, just in case somethig different calls out to us as we travel but its nice to hear about those places that stand out. Weve been snowmobiling in quebec since 1992 so Im fully aware of the theft issues. A buddy of mine has been ripped off twice there , once south of St Zenon and another time somewhere in the eastern townships, that time he lost a brand new dodge truck, a new trailer and 3 new sleds, plus all of their gear so now we carry a 20Ft long, 7/8" inch diameter turbine crane cable and a gigantic lock and lock the trucks together, its heavy and cumbersome to lock up but its gonna take some time for some scumbag to cut through it. In 2004 I was parked with my brand new truck and trailer at the lot next to the Quebec Inn, we locked up and headed out saddlebagging. Came back 4 days later to learn that 5 trucks parked around us had been stolen while ours were left alone.. A little effort goes a long way.

Edited by Snownyet

Hi Tom...I think there is a "limit" on sledders from NJ going to the Gaspie ......I got first choice !!

What if Jackstraw shows up?

All kidding aside, it would be great to meet up with you or anyone else on QR, last year we met up with Linda and Dave (Snowfarmer) and sledded the rest of the way back with Snowfarmer & wife and it was awesome!

Maybe Snowfarmer will join us again!?

The Gathering is at the end of that second week so we will see how and if we can work around it as we get closer.

See you on the trails.

That was a great time!! I changed my avatar to reflect that. You never know I just may show up but I have a hard time planning anything ahead. That trip to Gaspe only had one day of planning . Called ,got a room , found friends to ride with , jumped in the truck and drove.