Season Opener 2015

Florida Snowman

Day 1

Jan 16

Woke up to 4" of white gold as a present from the snow gods overnight to start our first day. Left Shawinigan 7:30am. M4/23/360/355/LT1/73/355/83. Took Jim to see LSJ & road lake over to the Ice Village in Roberval. Took the 373 nord out of Roberval only to find the trail closed below Saint Prime. Tried serveral ways to get around it but nightfall came & decided to sleep in Roberval instead of Saint-Felicien as originally planned. Heard that a groomer went thru the ice at a river crossing & is still there frozen in the ice! Amazing conditions. 4-10" of new snow on top of groomed trails all the way. What could be better than that! 275 miles for the day.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this on FB!

Andy

You got it Andy. Ran the LT711 this morning. Worked like a charm.

You both confirmed what I thought I was reading. My french is not so good, but I pieced some things together and was pretty close. Except for the groomer part! .....LOL!

Are you still heading up 93 toward Chib?

Day 2

Jan 17

Left Roberval under sunny blue skies -25F. Perfect conditions imo for a great day of sledding. Plan was to circle LSJ clockwise. First job was to complete the 373 trail closing bypass. Took 83 west past Saint-Hedwidge to L711 & back up to 373 above trail closing. This is the way I normally go to Saint-Felicien coming up from the south on 83. Took 373 to L715 to L901 to 93. Rode 93 all the way down to KM31 for the night. Trails were perfect the whole way except for a short 4 mile section of 93 which was choppy in the hills past Le Valinouet ski area. Being a Saturday all the lucky mountain sled peeps were ripping up all the amazing off trail conditions. Over a foot of snow fell here yesterday. Wanted to take a lot of pics with the blue sky clarity & scenery but my iPhone was frozen off. Next purchase is a heated sack for it. 240 miles for the day.

How was Latuque and 355 north of lac Eduard?

Hey Gary,

As you know there have been problems for many years maintaining the trail 355 north of lac Edouard due to a multitude of issues. We both have rode that trail with 2-3 foot rollers all the way north to lac Bouchette. Saturday was excellent! What a relief. Very few signs marking the trail for snowmobiles. All markings were for VTT. No problem. We rode it. We broke trail with 12" fresh over groomed hard pack all the way! Luck is on my side so far!

Get back up here!

Tom

Edited by Florida Snowman

Day 2

Jan 17

Left Roberval under sunny blue skies -25F. Perfect conditions imo for a great day of sledding. Plan was to circle LSJ clockwise. First job was to complete the 373 trail closing bypass. Took 83 west past Saint-Hedwidge to L711 & back up to 373 above trail closing. This is the way I normally go to Saint-Felicien coming up from the south on 83. Took 373 to L715 to L901 to 93. Rode 93 all the way down to KM31 for the night. Trails were perfect the whole way except for a short 4 mile section of 93 which was choppy in the hills past Le Valinouet ski area. Being a Saturday all the lucky mountain sled peeps were ripping up all the amazing off trail conditions. Over a foot of snow fell here yesterday. Wanted to take a lot of pics with the blue sky clarity & scenery but my iPhone was frozen off. Next purchase is a heated sack for it. 240 miles for the day.

Try the brown thin gloves from a gas station for .98 and a hand warmer. Imo it works better and obviously simple. A freezer bag over an exposed GPS non hard wired and a hot pack works very well.

Enjoy yourself

You're one lucky guy Tom

I keep my iPhone in my pants (bibs) pocket, a little more trouble getting to it but by keeping it close to your body it will not freeze. Always works for me.

Wish I was out there with you riding, I spent the weekend volunteering sled rides to the Starlight children out of Le Cabanon, not the same riding but much more rewarding.

Happy trails Tom

JG

Wish I was out there with you riding, I spent the weekend volunteering sled rides to the Starlight children out of Le Cabanon, not the same riding but much more rewarding.

JG

Not to hijack Tom's thread but i'm curious where you heard about this event, I had don't heard about it myself.

Congratulation for having been part of it!

Day 3

Jan 18

Woke up at Km31 to 4" of new snow 9*F & a very light drizzle. Took 93 back west past ski area on fresh groomed with whip cream on top. Face shields icing badly for 1st hour of the day. Finally changed over to snow & then sunshine. Took all local trails back up counterclockwise around LSJ (I love riding the off beaten path) to La Dore. Gassed up & headed for Chibougamau on the 93. Trail was a perfect 10! Had 6-8" of fresh on top of hard pack groomed. Temperature was 32*F & the sun was shining. It doesn't get better than this my friends! All good things must end & so it did 20 miles before the Siciere 54 lumber mill. I hit a tree stump with my right ski (one of the hazards of being a hard right guy who rides with his right ski on the edge). Right ski was toed in @ 15* so we disconnected the right tie rod & installed a piece of wood between the skis & roped the skies together. Worked like a charm. Decided to head back to St-Felicien for the night since there wasn't a Yamaha dealer in Chibougamau 😩. 258 miles for the day. Heading out soon for the dealer in Saint-Prime to get repairs done. My reverse has been out since day one also so I will get that done also. Then the plan is to head to Chibougamau afterwards.

Dam Tom that sucks thank god you didn't get hurt

Get her fixed get her done Chiboooooooogamau......

Your perfectly groomed trail pics are bringing the call of the wild out of my, back one night from a week end of riding and I am trigger happy already.

Did the Yami dealer go out of buissenes in Chib? 2 seasons ago we made a stop there so our friend Chris could get his break in service completed on his Apex. They sold Yamaha & Polaris out of the same building.

I am the same way, my right ski is usually against the edge. I have glanced off a few things but have never bent anything YET!

Thanks for the pics and trail updates. Get your stuff fixed and get back on the trail Tom!

Edited by 600IQHO

Day 4

Jan 19

Woke up this morning in Saint Felicien to 21*F & 7-8" of fresh new snow & it was snowing hard. Wind was blowing hard & we had white out conditions in the fields. Got to the Yamaha dealer in Saint Prime first thing & they pulled my sled in immediately (I called them before I left hotel to give them a heads up) and my sled was ready in 1 hours time. A big shout out to Benoit (Ben) @ Centre du Sport Lac-St-Jean. Great guy & great service! Got back on the trail at 10:30am & blizzard conditions. White was the word of the day. Took the 373 to LT711 to 83. Breaking trail & busting drifts all the way. Gassed up outside Roberval & continued on 83 west. Made first tracks pushing snow all the way to Relais 22. Got here @ 3:30pm & ate lunch. Feeling comfy we decided to stay here tonight. Gonna crash early & head out at daybreak heading west. Saw the groomer getting ready to head out. Hope he is going west! Perfect night for the groomers to do their magic. Gonna get cold overnight & the trails will set up like an asphalt racetrack in the morning. Got my fingers crossed!

140 miles for the day.

Try the brown thin gloves from a gas station for .98 and a hand warmer. Imo it works better and obviously simple. A freezer bag over an exposed GPS non hard wired and a hot pack works very well.

Enjoy yourself

Great idea Jesse! I will try it. Last few days have been warmer so no issues.

When you coming north?

Great idea Jesse! I will try it. Last few days have been warmer so no issues.

When you coming north?

Neurologic doctor after my last scan 5 weeks back, wants me to sit out one more year. Claims the possibility of Jared or a fall on ice would/could set the healing to the ocular lob back. Deep down he is right. Sorry next year just riding via photos again this year Edited by rmk

Day 5

Jan 20

Left Relais 22 at 7:30am with clear skies & -15*F. Rode TQ83 west all day. Conditions don't get better than this. Got gas at WemoGaz in Wemontici. Nice to see them open again or at least for today or until they run out of gas. Not a single item inside the store. Nothing. Continued to Parent & got gas. The GazBar is no longer open! You have to get gas at the only game in town by the 4 Seasons Hotel. The trail (83) has been changed. You no longer ride the lake to continue west. After gas you cross the bridge & pick up the new section of 83. This 5 miles needs a grader in the summer. Only bumps we saw all day. Continued to Clova & got gas & lunch. Spoke to Dominic's girlfriend for a few minutes. She informed me that Dominic was resting at Balbuzzard & that he had groomed last night Clova to Balbuzzard. Yea!! Luck continues to follow us this trip! Continued west making first tracks on fresh groomed from the night before that had set up firm. SWEET! This run of 83 was relocated to the VTT70 & is WAY NICER! No longer do you travel on the moon (fire waste land) all the way to Balbuzzard. Now the travel is beautiful & scenic thru standing pines laden with snow. Saw Dominic 5 miles before we got to Balbuzzard & I stopped & spoke with him a few minutes. He was on his return grooming trip back to Clova. He's a good hard working man. I'm glad he gets along well with the new owners of Balbuzzard because now this section of trail will be well maintained. We all remember the terrible trail conditions on this stretch of 83 in the past. Got to Balbuzzard at 4:00pm & would have continued to lac Faillon if Pierre had not decided to close this winter. Got gas & moved into a cabin & am now lounging in the beautiful Balbuzzard Sauvage lodge. Lot's of great memories of this place. Loved cooking on the granite stones years ago right at the table. Glad to be back here. 276 easy miles today. Could have gone for hours more. That's how sweet the trails are! Get up here people!