Conditions

Saguenay Bill

That issue has been solved, rode thru there last weekend, trails thru there the best I have ever seen, but that was before the warm spell

I rode 23 from jonquiere to Mt. Apica on Jan 1st They had just groomed it. The trail was incredible I could ride back and forth on that all day. When u are lucky like that it is one of the best trails in Q. but it can also be a long ride to E'Tape if it is not. We did almost 1800 miles on the 28th to Jan 6th from Shawinigan up around the lake, a day in the Valins, anlther day riding the south side, left for La Malbaie, next day crossed at Qc. city , next onto Valcourt , next day crossed at Sorel and back to Shawinigan. Best conditions I have ridden except around Valcourt. We spent 2 days riding from the Hi and saw possibly 10-15 sleds. only 6-8 sleds at the HI each night. Love the new 800Xp except for the seat and throttle pull :yahoo:

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rob,

I too switched to a BV2S this year. I have about 1200 miles on with it so far. Even got the communicator for it. I love it so far, but haven't had it in any temps below 20F. I am wondering if I will need an electric visor when it's -20f? I did keep my old AC with elect. visor just in case. I did a couple of the mods to my helmet that were recommended by Yellowknife. Keep us posted on how the helmet works when it gets below 0

Thanks

Bill

Bill, what mods did you do to your BV2s? Was is the removal of the little rubber valve at the front of mask? I did that and it was rather cold on my mouth yesterday at -15C, I'm not sure how well that will do at -30.

My dealer says some guys have complained about the seat. I haven't noticed it being uncomfortable yet. I have about 1200miles on mine, but the longest day yet was only about 180 miles.

Bill

When some guys are complaining about the seat I think they are really not pleased with the ride.

At home in Vermont Jane and I would switch between my new Renegade and the 05. The 05 clearly had a better ride. My dealer said to try the rear springs on #3 and coupler blocks on full (#4) rather than all settings at full light, and that seemed to help.

Bill, what mods did you do to your BV2s? Was is the removal of the little rubber valve at the front of mask? I did that and it was rather cold on my mouth yesterday at -15C, I'm not sure how well that will do at -30.

I didn't remove the rubber valve, but put in one that had more holes. Yellowknife had several other recommendations, but I didn't do the rest. I was wondering how cold my face would get inside the rubber mask at sub 0 temps. I guess the mask wouldn't seal well enough if you pulled the barclava up and over your mouth and nose? I haven't tried that yet because I haven't ridden in any really cold temps yet. Just wondered if it would work.

When some guys are complaining about the seat I think they are really not pleased with the ride.

At home in Vermont Jane and I would switch between my new Renegade and the 05. The 05 clearly had a better ride. My dealer said to try the rear springs on #3 and coupler blocks on full (#4) rather than all settings at full light, and that seemed to help.

I haven't been able to compare my XP to a REV side by side since my wife also upgraded to a 500ss. My dealer had my springs on full light when I first picked it up. I didn't like the ride on that first trip. I think my springs are on the next to firmest. The sled didn't have enough ski pressure for light powder when I first got it. After tightening the front springs and limiter strap, it was much better. By my second trip, I had added C&A's and it turned like it was on rails, but was really wearing out my arms. I have since taken the limiter strap back to stock. With the C&A's I think I had too much ski pressure with the limiter that tight. I'm anxious to try it out now. I'm not really good at tweaking when I'm out riding beause I hate to hold everyone up.

I guess my buddies finally left this morn. After your last post, I think they were finally concvinced it was good enough.

They will be in some type of crew cab truck pulling a white Expedition enclosed 4 place trailer. All are on Cats except one Yammy 4 stroke. Maryland tags on the truck.

Rob, I played with mine over a year and found the best was to leave it stock. Valve out = too cold. I do not use the soak pads. Just flip the water out whenever you put it back on. When you stop trailside and its real cold out the valve will freeze, but all you have to do is give a sharp, hard exhale once to unfreeze it. Its a awesome helmet.

I didn't remove the rubber valve, but put in one that had more holes. Yellowknife had several other recommendations, but I didn't do the rest. I was wondering how cold my face would get inside the rubber mask at sub 0 temps. I guess the mask wouldn't seal well enough if you pulled the barclava up and over your mouth and nose? I haven't tried that yet because I haven't ridden in any really cold temps yet. Just wondered if it would work.

The balaclava HAS to be below the bottom of the mask. You will never get cold with the valve installed. The valve is important because it causes fresh air to be drawn in the helmet when you inhale to prevent fogging. Otherwise the moist air from persperation accumulates and fogs the shield. Ice will build up in front where you exhale when it is very cold. It can be easily removed when indors by popping the plastic cover off in front and picking the ice out with a spoon or fork. Takes 15 seconds and only needs to be done in very cold conditions. Leave it stock and make sure you have a good seal and you will NEVER fog up or get a cold face.

The balaclava HAS to be below the bottom of the mask. You will never get cold with the valve installed. The valve is important because it causes fresh air to be drawn in the helmet when you inhale to prevent fogging. Otherwise the moist air from persperation accumulates and fogs the shield. Ice will build up in front where you exhale when it is very cold. It can be easily removed when indors by popping the plastic cover off in front and picking the ice out with a spoon or fork. Takes 15 seconds and only needs to be done in very cold conditions. Leave it stock and make sure you have a good seal and you will NEVER fog up or get a cold face.

Thanks snobeeler, that all makes sense.

Did 205 miles today.. Lots of new snow, most places have received anywhere from 6 to 16 inches of new snow since the rain, and up at the chappelle they have like 2 feet new. Here is a pic from today:

I remember a couple of season's ago, we headed out of Shawinigan early am on 23, headed to the Ice hotel and everything was fine.

Coming back around 8 pm, about a 1/2 mile of trail had washed out and turned to solid rough ice.

Good thing bernard and his crew had put up some warning signs, otherwise we would have hit it at a good speed. :wacko:

Although this winter has not been as cold as we would like it to be, at least there has been plenty of snow.

It could be real cold, with little or no snow.

Rob and I rode 195 miles today. Trails were good for the most part. You must remember that 3 days ago it had rained for the 3 days before that. Thed water holes are beginning to freeze up which will help that situation. We had lunch at the CentreTouristique Vauvert. It is located on the north western side of Lac St Jean in Dolbeau-Mistassini. It is a great place to eat. I took a picture of the BOSS.If you are in the area check it out.

Wow those trails look good. Can you make sure no one rides on them til we get there next sat :)

I hope my buddies that were thinking of canceling are satisfied with those trails.

Have you had to use the elect. shield yet?

Bill