St-Zenon: Glacière/Pourvoirie Repos 16January2016 photo ride-report

towing

Even the trails began to open December 30 in St-Zenon area, a succession of bad timing with the holidays, our duties and projects as well as Mother Nature spikes last week end had delayed our season beginning but the star had finally aligned for us to succeed in making our first ride of the season yesterday

While it is currently possible to ride near home in the south of Lanaudiere, trails are thin and lack of snow. We have a hard frozen trail base but not enough fluffy snow material to flatten irregular paths and some savannas and swamps are still not frozen yet. The north of our area already have a good snow coverso after consultation with my riding partners, we decided that a start directly from St-Zenon would be the best for beautiful conditions. Our final route had been to go for the lunch at Outfitter Repos via trail #345 and return via trail #33

carte_zpshx8zbamd.jpg

The sun was not there and it was under a very dark sky at 9:15, temperature -10C that we make our ride start from La Glaciere in St-Zenon. Sorry for the picture quality in this low light day but there are even good to shows the real conditions up there.

DSC07492_zpspmnvtqqn.jpg

Final preparations before departure with my riding partners Steph and Snowcruiser

DSC07493_zpszahaigwk.jpg

We first took the #350 trail in front of la Glaciere. From the start, good trail and very few rocks since the majority were sealed down in the trail base from the rain of the past weekend

DSC07498_zpsrr61axmd.jpg

At the first fork, we took the #23 trail north in Cabanon direction

DSC07501_zps9delbowi.jpg

OK check with my partners who follow me ...

DSC07502_zps28nur1qr.jpg

The trail is beautiful and we just ride at usual trail speed, just paying a bit more attention in case of season’s beginning trail surprises

DSC07510_zpsszpxsagl.jpg

Nice trail conditions

DSC07511_zpss5go1vs2.jpg

DSC07513_zpssl50ao1e.jpg

Near the Cabanon and few miles on either side the snow tends to tint a little as usual on high traffic conditions but nothing dramatic like picture show

DSC07516_zps5jfc2qmu.jpg

Edited by towing

DSC07519_zpswruwjfqj.jpg

We took the #345north to Mattawin river bridge.

DSC07520_zpsqtnyzvfm.jpg

A sample here or icy patch exposed from
some happy thumbs . It was smart to have some good shape runners that bite well in those conditions to keep a good control

DSC07523_zpsmtalrk4z.jpg

For the rest, fast trail and many sledders

DSC07527_zpsjzf7mvqw.jpg

DSC07528_zpsua2m59em.jpg

We note that the club has kept its new habit taken last year to groom wider than before giving better and safer trails

DSC07532_zpsotvfw7kh.jpg

We reach the bridge at around 10:45 and take a short break on the shore

DSC07536_zpsj9wrphkt.jpg In fact at this point, our final

At this point our destination was not yet decided. We hesitated between going to lunch at Marineau in Rivière Mattawin or to Repos. Similar distances, easier for fuel and quickly been serve at Marineau but last trail section near Marineau less snowy/bumpier. More beautiful trail on the Repos side but surely crowed due to the fact there are one of the most logic destination for every one so longer for fueling/eating. 2 good choices so trusting in fate, it is ultimately the deer on the side of a 25cent coin who sent us to the Repos !!

DSC07541_zps0gguo5y5.jpg

A choice that turned out very good. There is definitely more snow and we got winter conditions as we pass #345/#360 junction. We then ride in powder

DSC07547_zpsebss4whz.jpg

DSC07552_zps7tiwgwco.jpg

Edited by towing

It's really nice in this area

DSC07556_zps9napasr8.jpg

There is a potato (rock) from time to time but it really rides well and fast

DSC07559_zpsmzjyu4ku.jpg

DSC07561_zpsgfiu3jve.jpg

On the last stretch before the Repos the trail path was changed. There were some signage problems at trail opening but now everything is ok and well indicated. The new route is good, mostly on roads made by logging companies that are fast with good visibility.

DSC07573_zps9jjuao6v.jpg

Curiously, there is a little less snow approaching the Repos and it ride well but with some tocs in skis occasionally

DSC07580_zpswzuoaouz.jpg

Instead of arriving directly in the yard of the Repos, this new trail arrives about 3 miles northeast of the outfitter on the usual trail to the Kanawata. Signage is good and it’s now well indicated to turn left for the Repos, we finally arrive there around 12:40

DSC07583_zpsij1napdi.jpg

As expected, many sledders. We made the line-up for fueling while Krikri took us a table inside.

DSC07585_zpsg8h6muxv.jpg

We knew exactly what to expect so it was not a surprise that the place was at more than full capacity and it would take more time. It was a good opportunity to talk alot with our riding partners we had not seen since March of last season.

A light snow began to fall while we eat.

DSC07587_zpszqjuiulc.jpg

Edited by towing

We have finally took back the trail a little past 2:30 p.m.. From other sledders recommendations we decided to take the #33trail to go back. The Villier lake section is well frozen, a little slush aside the main path but nice if you stay in the center.

DSC07592_zpsgtf300bl.jpg

It proved to been an excellent choice, there was less traffic and the trail was in beautiful winter conditions all the way down the #360 junction

DSC07598_zpsqhsrg98e.jpg

DSC07602_zpsz2xhxrmj.jpg

From there, we knew that the next trail portions would be much nicer on the #360towards the dam than continuing on the #33 to the west of the reservoir because of the better trail base. So we forked towards the dam. It was already too dark to take good pics while riding to show you but it was an excellent choice to ride: little traffic and very beautiful. Just a couple potatoes and a small ditch not frozen but well visible.

Since we passed by, we took the opportunity to go take a break there ...

DSC07622_zpsibnuvqnv.jpg

We then took back the superb #360 up to the junction for the bridge and then we took our morning path in reverse. We were expected a pretty beat trail for the return but just past the bridge, lucky we are, we cross the dozer!

DSC07628_zpsqckpgdg3.jpg

So we were treated with a fresh groomed trail up to the Cabanon. Halfway, we had a surprise on the trail ... well actually not as surprised as the driver of the cat in question who catch in fire while he was riding! I hesitated, but hurry up to pass before the fire get bigger. Krikri managed to take a framed pic of the specimen while we quickly cross it

DSC07629_zpskuvvwhu4.jpg

We stopped a moment just to see that everyone was ok. It was not long that it blazed completely

DSC07639_zpssvyaeihw.jpg

We had no marshmallows so we continued our way down south. We were less lucky for the trail section between the Cabanon and la Glaciere which was very bumpy from the traffic of the day but with the well-hardened trail base it was not so bad and the return went very well. We finally got back to the trailer at 6:45 p.m. with a total of 234 miles on the dream meter

So in summary, there is good sledding to do in this area. I really wish that we get more snow to enlarge the playground and dilute traffic on a larger area. It is not missing a lot more snow to be able to open the whole trail network since the cold is now here and the rivers swaps and lakes will be ready very soon. Hoping for the best…
As always, the trail conditions web site is a good helper to know the recents updates on the trail network of the area here in Lanaudiere and Mauricie

Snowmobile trails conditions Lanaudière Mauricie - Snowmobile Country in Quebec (Maps, Trails and Snow conditions) - Tourisme Lanaudière

Alain

Edited by towing

Welcome back Alain and Krikri

I can speak for the most of us here saying it's long over due to hear from you two and your season opener report, as always great pics and detailed information my friend. 8)

That 345 never disappoints.

My group was up there on Saturday and came back with miles of smiles.

Nice report Alain! I was wondering about the 345 detour, does it possibly make the right turn just passed the Dam Gilardo? They had used that trail years ago and was nice and when Chateuvert was open with gas you could bypass Repos

SORRY WE MISSED YOU AGAIN I WAS UP THERE and trails were much better than 2 weeks ago 33 was excellent the trail into matawin was not groomed much for the last 5km into town but we ate there and it was good and gas was 1.20 liter instead of 1.60 at repos . new sled is broken in with over 1000km so i will check fuel milage soon.. GOOD LUCK.

Nice Alain glad you two are back on the trail to start the new year.

Yes sir!!!!!!!! It's so good to ride again!

Nice first ride report !

We must have just missed you at Repo's , We took lunch at kanawata And just gas at Repo and then on to Mattawin.

World is small! how was it up north?

Welcome back Alain and Krikri

I can speak for the most of us here saying it's long over due to hear from you two and your season opener report, as always great pics and detailed information my friend. 8)

That 345 never disappoints.

My group was up there on Saturday and came back with miles of smiles.

Thanks Trailblazer! Have you find some time to put back together your sled engine? on my side I was late too, I put the skid back under the venture and finish the maintenance between Chistmas and New year!!!

NO ONE does trail reports like you Alain !!

You are THE BEST source of info for that area EVER !!!

Your reporting, picture taking and comments are better than most professional journalists these days !!

Once again, "my hats off to you" !!!!

Thank you very much Snowmaster, happy that you enjoy!

Always look forward to your reports Alain, conditions look better then I would have thought especially with all the traffic. We will be up next week, just not sure where yet

It was better than I was expected too. A rain always give good results there to shape up the trail base. Wish you a good trip next week, take care

Nice report Alain! I was wondering about the 345 detour, does it possibly make the right turn just passed the Dam Gilardo? They had used that trail years ago and was nice and when Chateuvert was open with gas you could bypass Repos

Nope, this new route puzzle me a bit. The swith is farther than The Gilardo dam and Chateauvert trail and we turn to left from the old path!,at a moment in the middle I'm pretty sure we were back on the old path, I wasn't sure but we ended 3 miles to the right side from the Repos so we had no choice to have cross it.

Mondays in the winter are the best with your reports.

Thank you

Glad you enjoyed mccaffrey, you are welcome!

SORRY WE MISSED YOU AGAIN I WAS UP THERE and trails were much better than 2 weeks ago 33 was excellent the trail into matawin was not groomed much for the last 5km into town but we ate there and it was good and gas was 1.20 liter instead of 1.60 at repos . new sled is broken in with over 1000km so i will check fuel milage soon.. GOOD LUCK.

Ho! it's the coin's fault if I miss you! Lolll. One of these we will have the chance to shake our hands

I would expect similar fuel mileage with your new limousine as your nytro but having a bigger tank you now have interesting mileage range between fuel stops, a priceless peace of mind, Personally I loose on this side with my new venture and it's bugging me a bit, would love to have more range.

Awesome trail pictures.....was looking forward to your reports. We will be up in Lanaudiere region in few weeks. Think snow! :hi:Looking forward to more great reports and pictures!

Thanks MXZ700RIDER! If things go right, you should have the chance to read many more soon!

Edited by towing

Thanks Trailblazer! Have you find some time to put back together your sled engine? on my side I was late too, I put the skid back under the venture and finish the maintenance between Chistmas and New year!!!

Heh Alain

I hear ya, late with everything this year.

Sled engine is back together, brand new rebuild, newly machined head, valves, pistons, bearings, rings the works. Took some time, bit here bit there was busy with work and family over the holidays.

Have to put the engine in the sled now but I'm sorry to say Alain you won't be seeing me riding her this season, I am retiring her with 38 000 klms to local riding, got a new girl to ride now.

Stay tuned.

Hey Alain,

Great ride and great report. I was wondering your thoughts on the proposed stud restrictions that they are proposing? I ask you because on one of your posts above you

mentioned an icy section where you were glad to have good carbides. I can't remember if you ever said whether you use studs or not. I know a lot of locals do not.

Heh Alain

Sled engine is back together, brand new rebuild, newly machined head, valves, pistons, bearings, rings the works. Took some time, bit here bit there was busy with work and family over the holidays.

Have to put the engine in the sled now but I'm sorry to say Alain you won't be seeing me riding her this season, I am retiring her with 38 000 klms to local riding, got a new girl to ride now.

Stay tuned.

Surely a wise decision, 38000kms is some big mileage... pretty much twice most people will try to put on their's

can't wait to look at your new ride...

Hey Alain,

Great ride and great report. I was wondering your thoughts on the proposed stud restrictions that they are proposing? I ask you because on one of your posts above you

mentioned an icy section where you were glad to have good carbides. I can't remember if you ever said whether you use studs or not. I know a lot of locals do not.

My personal experience have been stud-less for 20years up to 2011, I have seen too often friends of mine getting down in the middle of nowhere with an hole in the heat exchanger to go this way myself (even I understand that many sledders run them without troubles) I then install my first IceAttack track on my last Venture knowing I would have the advantage of a studded track without risking a breakage, and told myself I would not ride without one after riding it. I had finally run unstudded original track from my new sled last season...immediately feel it miss something, had a couple fear that I would not had with a studded track... I'm back with an Iceattack this season.

Is I had need to be studded to ride this last weekend with the conditions we had? No, I don't think so, but it was nice and safer to be. Good runners were way more important IMO for my security to keep my side of the trail in those icy base condition, especially on a big touring riding two up.

This said, this actual stud law defy common sense, banning a safety device without any further notice before, and this after the worst year in term of death on snowmobile (2015). You and me exactly know what is marking the asphalt at trail crossing but we can't tell them because in addition to loose traction we risk to loose steering!!! I'm 100% sure it never happened that they had need to spend money to fix the asphalt from snowmobile studs or runners, Those just give a bit more rough finish that is way less rough than when they pass the grinding machine to remove a layer of asphalt to flatten back the road because of the big heavy trucks. We in Quebec have one of the worst condition road system and they worried about the sleds studs on the asphalt... somebody need a kick in the a*****!!!!!

I'm terribly disappointed of how the Quebec transport department managed their priority and hope the actual mobilization of the whole snowmobile community will make them realize they did wrong and snowmobile need an exception in their all off road vehicles law.

Yes sir!!!!!!!! It's so good to ride again!

World is small! how was it up north?

Thank you very much Snowmaster, happy that you enjoy!

It was better than I was expected too. A rain always give good results there to shape up the trail base. Wish you a good trip next week, take care

Nope, this new route puzzle me a bit. The swith is farther than The Gilardo dam and Chateauvert trail and we turn to left from the old path!,at a moment in the middle I'm pretty sure we were back on the old path, I wasn't sure but we ended 3 miles to the right side from the Repos so we had no choice to have cross it.

Glad you enjoyed mccaffrey, you are welcome!

Ho! it's the coin's fault if I miss you! Lolll. One of these we will have the chance to shake our hands

I would expect similar fuel mileage with your new limousine as your nytro but having a bigger tank you now have interesting mileage range between fuel stops, a priceless peace of mind, Personally I loose on this side with my new venture and it's bugging me a bit, would love to have more range.

Thanks MXZ700RIDER! If things go right, you should have the chance to read many more soon!

Conditions were great north of Kantawata , we spent the night at Gouin

Heh Alain

Stay tuned.

What? Did you get a 2016?

Alain ... all of us carry spare gas too . don't want to take a chance . running out so we have a good range , even had trouble in gaspe last spring with them not having gas or far off the trail so this way we can pic and choose where .... somtimes we get there too late at nite so this way we are not stuck . so with new sled i carry gas and a lot of luggage..