LSJ & Cote Nord Team Iceman on the move.

iceman

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somewhere today in that northwest corner I passed a bunch of two ups. Moment later a tall guy on an Apex followed by one other sled.

Thought right off that had to be the famous Iceman!

I have had the pleasure over the years of meeting famous actors and dignitaries.

But having Iceman pass by, that is memorable!!!

mike

You're a very patient man Ice, if it was me trailing those day dreamers I'd a give them 2 minutes and not 10 then I'd tickle their foot rests with my ski tip and at that point they got the point and off ya go.

Little tip for the visor in ice rain, turtle wax it, if you remember 2 years back when the Gathering was in The Gouin, I had left my house in the rain, you commented I looked like a condom with my plastic bag rain coat.

As we were getting up in elevation after Bertierville I had stopped for a break and turned to my riding partner who's visor was all frosted up aside for the tiny scratched out hole he was keeping up with, my response to him was "when did it start freezing rain?" I had been wiping the visor due to the rain but had no idea it was freezing rain. My visor was clear as ever.

Keep up the reports Ice....informative and entertaining.

i'm patient to a point, but there is always a limit. There was just nowhere to get around safely and if I could have picked em off one by one I would have trust me.

Somewhere today in that northwest corner I passed a bunch of two ups. Moment later a tall guy on an Apex followed by one other sled.

Thought right off that had to be the famous Iceman!

I have had the pleasure over the years of meeting famous actors and dignitaries.

But having Iceman pass by, that is memorable!!!

mike

You are too funny my man.

Tried to come to Delta to stay but no room at the inn for me. I guess I'm not famous enough for that.

Do you got an orange/black jacket? And you riding an enduro yes? The Beige color? If so i think you passed us going the other way toward Relais Mont Vilain not far from the Onitchaway side. I got the two blue lights one each side in front of my sled.

Two weeks ago I got behind a group on 83 filming a segment for a TV show they rode two wide for miles not letting us by and they all had mirrors!!! We were patient (ugh). Needless to say when they finally pulled to the side at the west entrance to Pourvoirie du Barrage we went by them at a real good pace!!! They looked at us like where'd they come from!!!!!

Day 3

Woke to no new snow overnight as they said would fall. No surprise really. Up, shower and out.

Left hotel 8:05. Trail had been groomed last night and now very hard so scratchers down from hotel and on the 83 to 367. Groomer went 83 we go 367 for Shipshaw. Much better not groomed got a nice crunch but all good. Smooth going to the crossing at Shipshaw.

Over we go and to the right on another great trail to join with the 93. 93 is super duper and we roll on hammer down. Near the airport I catch 2 pokey ones. Was to be expected at some point.

At the end of the stretch along the Airport they cross the road and we jump on the road and scoop them before they get out of the woods to cross over again. Great.

Jump back on 93 and cruise on up still very nice no problems here. I come around a corner there somewhere before the 328 jct and it's where the trail is divided vtt(left) sleds(right), yeah well we got a convention going on with a guide and his group. Parked 3 wide all standing around like they are in a parking lot at the hotel. Come on man, they are just as dangerous standing still as riding at me. I cannot win. The guide realizes after I got my two arms in the air asking "really?" That he probably could have picked a better place to chat and starts waving to all his chargee's to make way. Yeah thanks.

Closer to Passion QC they are rolling off the mountain in packs. Trail up to gas at Passion surprisingly not bad. Well after all these are touted as "world class Trails" right?

Gas at Passion and a quick chat with my man Vincent there. But the team is on the move we gotta blow this popsicle stand like now. It's a Zoo there, i am sure I saw an elephant ,two zebra and a Lion, sorry no cougars. I'm singing ....We got to get out if this place, if it's the last thing we ever do.

It's 10:15 Am full tank direction Sentier Pel Chat we roll.

So....

We leave gas at Passion QC. We get out in front of a gang of long trackers thankfully as they were about 7 of them. Now let me just say I am no fan of Mont Valin. Years ago yes it was nice now it's just too crowded and I will go through when I need to get somewhere else and have no choice. There are plenty of other places I'd much rather be with good trail. Today is no exception. The trail from the ski area to KM31 is usually total crap and today it was not as bad as I've seen it. but it gets the award once again as worst trail I've seen all season. I cannot remember the last time I actually enjoyed the run up to KM31 it's been many moons. So much for "world class trails" on the mont Valin. I think I got a better chance of seeing bigfoot riding a unicorn then finding 93 in good shape between there. Oh well. One thing is it is big so was easy pickins passing the groups we encountered, scuse us we are on a mission.

After KM 31 it got better, not great but noticeably better. 93 past Chapelle and on up and to the Junction for Pel Chat. Several groups heading back toward Chapelle as we go toward the junction.

At Pel Chat we see they have all come from 93 as Pel Chat has one sled mark on it coming back otherwise it looks great and it was. We made awesome time and the trail was fast and fun. Arrived at the Clubhouse in Escoumins near the 3 junction at 12:15. No one here. We go in and have some relais burgers. After a great stop there we are out on on the move again for gas in Escoumins. Burning down the road after the clubhouse over a rise and well hello my friend. The groomer is coming. No worries plenty of room for me to get by as he heads up as it is big and wide. Just a little moment of surprise to get the blood pumping a bit more.

Ride the beautiful trail 3 to gas there at Pel Chat. 203 Km on the Apex. Took 29 liters. Pretty happy with that run.

Gas and go up the 3 it's real nice maybe halfway to up to Forrestville the groomed trail appears seemingly out of no where. He must have come up from a side trail there somewhere. We aint complaining. It's 10/10 and ripping fast. On up and into Forrestville at 3:20pm.

Too early and nice out to quit now. All groomed up here like they heard we were coming. So decision is made up 3 we go we ride up 40 miles on all groomed lovileness. Temperature is great and we spin around and double back. Back on perfect trail 3 to Forrestville.

Arrived at 5:45pm

Outstanding day great trails excluding the expected world class ones.

304 miles

We were in Chicoutimi Saturday night and had AWESOME trails Sunday morning. We will be in St Felicien Friday night and Windigo Saturday night.

Lucky you Saturday night is "wing night" at Windigo but I know u already knew that. i'm jealous. Enjoy the ride.

Icey no likey. Into Onitchaway and take the gas. Not sure if it was buy one poutine get one free or what but The place is Jammin. Not sticking around to find out. Not liking the amount of sleds I'm seeing it's not my bag baby to ride with the masses. We need to punch out of here.

Sounding like one of those Snickers commercials, with Betty White on crowded bumpiness, then Ice-Ice-Baby when it's right n white.

Day 4

Today started out as a real question mark. We were not sure how we would stitch it together today and get our mileage seeing as we were wanting to stay at one of our favorite stops the Complexe Pel Chat in Escoumins. Being we were in Forrestville it was way to short to just go directly there. We kicked it around last night and we had already decided that we were in Forrestville to do the local loop there north of town. 95 km give or take is that loop. So we had decided to start there. Then if need be we would ride to Baie Comeau get gas and then back track on 3 to Escoumins to round out the day.

Now it goes without saying that the best laid plans often go to waste, and so it was to be.

We left the Econolodge and headed down 3 west. It was perfectly groomed and really just out of this world. South of town we turn right onto the Local loop on the south end.

Now just let me say this trail has been on my to do list for a few years, today was the day.

Thanks to GTrider and Roadrunner for giving me the added inspiration to go and hit it.

We hit it just right. Freshly groomed last night and I must say that it is my new favorite trail in all of Quebec hands down. It's big, very fast and follows a summer road through the breathtaking Scenery in the river valley that is just WOW. Wicked fast sweeping turns just my flavor. Iceman approved.

We follow it up to the split and the trail to Chenail du Nord. Again a big thanks to RR for posting about it. The trail just got better and better. First tracks freshly groomed and just out of this world. We were eating it up. Kids in the candy store. Bring it. Groomed perfect and maybe 20 km before arriving at the Pouvorie here comes the groomer headed back down. Wow. Incredible.

On into the Chenail Du Nord where we decide to take a break and warm up and introduce ourselves. Well we spent over an hour there talking with Ben who runs the place. We meet Nadine the Chef and had the full tour of the place checking out the Chalets which are really nice and sleep alot of people, one can sleep 10 I believe and the other I think 7. Super people and though we wanted to stay there it was just not in the plan this trip. But we will return.

So, in talking to Ben he explained how he knows this area like the back of his hand and does offer guide services (him personally) if you are looking for real off trail action or summer roads he got you covered.

We ask him what our options are from here for the rest of the day. He explains that he can tell us exactly how to go from here and arrive at KM 31 in Mont Valin. Really? Yes. Ok Ok, I said but I am on the Apex not really for the ungroomed at all. He says it's easy you can do it no problem. Hey I trust this guy and he proceeds to draw me a map to follow. Complete with KM by KM directions. Very precise. Hey I'm in let's do this. We fill up with gas (super) 1.65liter a bargain in the bush. We bid Ben and Nadine farewell for now and off we go.. Time to explore.....

To be continued......

Iceman, anxious to hear the rest of your story, now you know first hand why this area is such a diamond in the ruff! Glad you enjoyed your ride up the valley!! RR

Always been impressed with the area here in Cote Nord. I am not equipped for the off trail with my Apex xtx, but I sure envy the things you guys do with them machines and the places you can get to. The terrain is certainly massive, with endless options.

Back to the story soon

Iceman's next sled (RoadRunner approved)...

attachicon.gifimage.png

Hey you never know, running out of groomed trails I aint been on countless times.

Continued......

We leave the Pouvorie and at the end of the entrance we go left and follow Ben's trail for 20 km spot on with his directions, we arrive at a road that is plowed but has enough snow to not be an issue. We follow it 18KM then arrive at a fork in the road. We follow instructions as given and go right at the fork. We leave the plowed road and are now on a unplowed road with one single track here up the center, but the snow is not super soft and has a nice crust. We follow this for 10 miles about and our track we were following vanishes off the trail down a bush trail marked with Ribbons. Oh well Ben's directions have been spot on and hey if not...well I got matches and a blue gatorade and a pack of reese's cups and 1 and a half pack of smokes, I'm good.

We continue on now I'm in heaven for a Big Boy on my big ass Yamaha. It's all new snow, but just enough to play in for my taste and I can manage it just fine as it's not super soft. I will be the first one to tell you I love my Apex XTX but it's a groomed trail machine. I know my limitations. But this is fun and we blaze a trail for 30 miles on big wide road with not a mark on it before us. Very cool and extremely fun. At the end we arrive at another plowed road. Howevever this also has plenty of snow on it to no cause any issues and it is not sanded at all.

This road as explained to us by Ben and detailed on his hand drawn map. Will lead us right to KM31 then to Chapelle and back to 93. So it is and was.

Cruise into Chapelle at 3pm. We take gas and a break leave and Iceman Sticker on the pump and off again down 93 headed for the Pel Chat trail.

93 sucks all the corners have 2 foot bumps, nonsense here. I am done with Valin. Arriving at Pel Chat Junction is a welcome relief and we go. This run is sweet and we run it hard balls out.

The last end of this trail is what riding is all about another perfect groomed summer road all the way to the junction with TQ3 and beyond.

Quick break at the Clubhouse and off for the Hotel. Smooth Sailing on perfect trail into Escoumins. A banner day in Cote Nord.

With the exception of sleds at Chapelle we saw no others all day. None. Until here at gas at Escoumins 5 sleds going to the hotel.

274 miles.