LSJ & Cote Nord Team Iceman on the move.

iceman

Well seeing as it's the coldest it's been all season it must be time to ride again. And so we shall.

Snohorse pulled into Chez Ice around 5pm. He was slightly delayed for his usual full lookover at the border. He just always seems to get lucky. After a waste of a trip inside they basically said the guy in the booth made a mistake as when he asked "when will you be leaving Canada" he mis-understood Sunday to be like today so less then 24hrs in QC raising red flags. When Actually it was next Sunday a full week of trails. Oh well. Is what it be.

So after arrival at the house we shuffled off to downtown Shawi, for a bit of dinner with mrs. iceman. We had a nice dinner and headed back home by 7pm.

We hitched up SnoHorse's trailer which lives at my house all season, as it's silly to drag that thing back to the states each week when you only ride in QC.

Decided we should run the sleds a bit since they been sitting in the trailer since I reloaded them thursday.

No issues fired right up.

Loaded my gear in the truck and i kissed the bride goodbye. Snohorse got a hug, and off like a prom dress we were. Northbound.

Yes I know what your thinking. Why be trucking? Yes we could no problem ride from the house at this point anywhere pretty much we want to go. We see it like this. We are skipping the appetizers and going straight to the main course. So we have landed in Roberval once again. 3hrs 8 minutes door to door.

Trails here are just much better than the days ride to get here by sled but the main thing being it gives us an extra two days for the run taking the day up and back from Shawi out of the mix. Plus I do not need to ride the 355 or 23 next weekend to get home. Double bonus.

Cold should break after tmmrw and regardless it's time to cover some ground. Later today we will ride north of the lake in one of our favorite "honey holes" trail bingo is on for the 93 373 and the orange trails from here in Roberval to Dolbeau. Then we will head through Valin and then Pel Chat or 93 and to Forrestville for some Bingo there.

Stay tuned.

22 sleds in tent at Hotel here. Not bad for a Sunday night.

Bonne Nuit

Ice out.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got home last night from this loop. Everything was off the charts good Iceman. The Pel Chat trail was just groomed but we never took it due to some frozen shield issues. Met some guys that came from Forrestville and they said it was perfect. Good luck

post-109-0-52533400-1455556479_thumb.jpg

Is the river frozen north of shawinigan?

Posted earlier today by iceman

Today, 12:23 AM

VTrider, on 14 Feb 2016 - 8:13 PM, said:snapback.png

Iceman....

Are the rivers safe to ride right now...planning to come up to the Gouvernuer next weekend with the wife and a few others. I am assuming they are but want to make sure so there are no surprises, being that some in the group this will be the first ride in Quebec and I want to show them a good time. Thanks in advance !!

Yes from Gouveneur all good is staked and safe. Rivere St Maurice is all good near Grand Mere as well staked too. Only staked as far north as Grand Piles this year. You cannot go all the way up. You can get to the alternate trail 360 they are using this year to go to St Joseph de Mekinac by getting off river there in Grand Piles. It will be fine.

Day 1

Iceman was a bit sleepy this am. Fell asleep just after 2am woke at 8am. We decided to skip breakfast and pack up and head out.

We had to unload the girls and bag up and that took a little time. So we were trail worthy at 9:30 am. Left Roberval on the 373 we decided to go on up and check the bridge construction job on the 373. As we arrived at the site we were greeted by a flagman on the trail a first for us. He had us wait while he chatted on the radio then told us to go on thru but slowly. As we procedded down there was the groomer there and a big ass excavator, there was just enough room to squeeze by as they were in processs of dragging the new steel structure for the bridge down the trail to lift it into place. Good timing as a few minutes later would have been a no go thru there.

We got through and continued on up 373 which was in great shape aside from the hard drifty stuff but no one is complaining for this. We go up to the orange trail just outside st felicien and hang a left up and around and back to 93 in La Dore. All great trail. In La Dore we continue on 93 then take the orange trail to Restaurant du Chef instead of 93 to the Saw Mill. Orange here we are laying first tracks. On to du Chef and we take the gas there. Then onward down a perfect trail back to 93.

93 is perfect as well and we run it all the way past Lac a Jim and then take a right down the orange trail back down to 373. All perfectly groomed here and we go all the way to 373 then left and not much further following perfect groomed trail we hit the otherorange trail to Normandin and a top off of the gas. Continue down a perfect trail all the way on the orange trail back to St Prime and the 373 again.

373 we go toward St Felicien and loop up and past Relais des Buttes. We continue on 373 and follow it to the 373/93 and come full circle back to the 93/373 split. This time its 373 to the same orange trail we came down before from Lac a Jim this time its up it and back to 93 where we turn left. Direction Girardville. 93 is awesome this is why we are here in the honey hole. In Girardville we top off again and chat a few minutes with Vitel the Snowmobile club president who was at the gas station there. We met him two weeks ago and he remembered us. He says a new trail is in the works from Relais Mont Vilain and back to Girardville. Hopefully next year.

Down a perfect 93 and we turn right on 373 and run back to Normandin and then south on the Orange trail which has been groomed again. Love when they groom perfect trails. This time we turn left and run the orange trail across to Dolbeau all super duper. Arriving in Dolbeau we head for Auberge Dilligence. We take the trail behind hotel and end up at the Ultramar right down the road, this is great, as Before it was quite the chore to go into downtown to get the gas.

Gas and Pepsi to mix with the Jack and back to Dilligence easy peasy.

Tucked in at 5:15pm loving it.

Trails a-1 all beautiful. Not super cold and blue sky.

247 miles from Roberval to Dolbeau.

Camera battery not happy but i got just a few shots.

post-211-0-94399700-1455585289_thumb.jpeg

post-211-0-88255400-1455585311_thumb.jpeg

post-211-0-36360800-1455585329_thumb.jpeg

post-211-0-90301800-1455585367_thumb.jpeg

I'm getting dizzy here Don lol, looks like you guys have a plan to hit all the Orange :drinks:

Yeah I know tough to follow, sorry bout that. Just meandering around. No real planned route just going with the flow.

Day 2

Greetings QR's

Another fabulous day on trail and although now is raining pretty damn hard here in Chicoutimi they say it will change back to snow and be 10-15 cm by morning. We wait.

Woke to a dusting of fluff in Dolbeau this AM. Rolled out at 8:45. It was 93 est and it was very nice. Much warmer today and flat light. Continued on to (if you have a Saguenay Map you can follow) local orange 900 then to 902 took a splash of gas in Milot then onward on the beautiful 902 direction Relais Mont Vilain. Started snowing lightly then a bit heavier as we went. Continue on and joined the Orange 484 above Vilain heading for Onitchaway. Now here is where I will rant a bit so if you want to tune out do it now......

Rolling on the trail and I catch a pair of 2 up cruisers. Ok no problem i follow patiently and at the blazing speed of 20mph. I catch a break as they pull off into a chalet there. Yes! I key the radio and tell Snowhorse who's got my six, we are clear hammer down. Less than 2-3 miles later I'm seeing some snow dust. Crap, this trail is tight and no room to burn em down. I catch up and it's a group of 5 sleds damn it. 1 or 2 is one thing but 5, it's gonna be a long ride to Onitchaway. I chat with Snowhorse and we decide we will give them 10 minutes for the leader to look back (hopefully) and realize their blazing warp speed of 20mph is not for everyone. If not we will pull over and let them get ahead. Well I gave it more then 10 minutes. And I'm really getting done with this. I mean for the love of god people it's rude to drive up the middle and that slow. Fine if you want to do it ok. Just look back now and then and give way. Finally after about 20 minutes which seemed like an hour to me we get to a wider section and a hard left. Sort of an intersection and the lead slow poke finally looks back 3 guys stop and let us go we now got the group split. I had to be a bully a bit but they got the point finally that we wanted by. Finallly back to riding, not creeping. Well for another mile anyway. Caught another 2 up but this one's passenger was a smart one and as I crept up on them she began pounding on the drivers shoulder. S'cuse me folks. But we got to be goin. Luckily caught no others but passed quite a few sleds headed toward Relais mont Vilain. Crazy busy for a Tuesday. Icey no likey.

Into Onitchaway and take the gas. Not sure if it was buy one poutine get one free or what but The place is Jammin. Not sticking around to find out. Not liking the amount of sleds I'm seeing it's not my bag baby to ride with the masses. We need to punch out of here.

Decision is made we drop down the 476 out of Onitchaway.

Now you see I've got trust issues and I am not afraid to admit it. It keeps me alive.

I trust me to be on the right cause I live there. The others I trust no one cause many have no clue and love to ride right up the middle. Not on the right not on the left but in the middle. Scary stuff. The sleds keep rolling toward Onitchaway as we head away, fine with me it's all yours up there have at it.

We continue down 476 to the 328. It's really snowing quite hard now.

To be continued......

Ok

We joined the 328 then continued on to the 134 and dropped back down to 93 it was really snowing good now and the trails were all super. We ran the 93 all the way back to Alma tgen joined on the 23 thru Alma. All good. After Alma and near Relais Ski Bee Doo it was not easy finding my friends those red sticks. Seems to be a red stick shortage here. It's slow going but we chug on the 23 and gas in Hebertville. Take a few minutes there for a break. We head down now and jump on the 83 back toward Jonquiere. It now starts freezing rain a bit and we start picking it up. 83 all the way to Jonquiere. We don't call so when we arrived Delta said they had no rooms. Oh well our first choice was Chicoutimi anyway and off we go into the freezing rain shield's are freezing up and we are covered in Ice. We arrive at La Sagueneenne and no problem getting a room here. We are in.

Good day with tough conditions in the late afternoon. Oddly enough 247 miles again.

We are consistent.

You guys should know better, you got caught in the Bermuda Triangle (villain to km31 to Apica). You can't be in it at noontime in February, got to leave early and run through it. Similar to TQ5 on the Gaspe.

I know I was taking Snohorse's advice to stay high on the oranges. But he got over ruled at Onitchaway.

You're a very patient man Ice, if it was me trailing those day dreamers I'd a give them 2 minutes and not 10 then I'd tickle their foot rests with my ski tip and at that point they got the point and off ya go.

Little tip for the visor in ice rain, turtle wax it, if you remember 2 years back when the Gathering was in The Gouin, I had left my house in the rain, you commented I looked like a condom with my plastic bag rain coat.

As we were getting up in elevation after Bertierville I had stopped for a break and turned to my riding partner who's visor was all frosted up aside for the tiny scratched out hole he was keeping up with, my response to him was "when did it start freezing rain?" I had been wiping the visor due to the rain but had no idea it was freezing rain. My visor was clear as ever.

Keep up the reports Ice....informative and entertaining.