Clova & areas

doo4adoo

Just spoke to Dominic for update as sites have trails closed. All will be open for this weekend with some open now and groomer doing second pass in some section.

Also confirmed what was already posted on QR that Lac Faillon is open.

Anyone have a current phone # for Balbuzard Maybe Tom does? One I have and from a site put me through to some one and since I don't speak French sounded like there is another # and not reaching the place

Thanks

Good to hear , I was wondering the same thing. Woodrunner trail doesn't show the 83 open. I left a voicemail with the Senneterre Snowmobile club asking if 83 was open on their side to Clova but have not heard back yet. I had planned to Start in Shawinigan on 1/14 and head across to the Chaudière and up to the Gaspe but with the rain forecast I may head north to the Abitibi area etc ... instead.

Edited by Pipeman

I also call Dominic and he said something about some logging going on. I am going to call him on Friday and he said he will know for sure. I want to go on the 17th and spend the nite in Mont Laurier and get a early start Wednesday to somewhere. Doesn't matter where. I do like to go to Clova. Middle of nowhere. New guy going and he doesn't know what he is going to get. 

4 hours ago, Florida Snowman said:

IMG_2388.PNG

This is the number I had. They didn't answer Balbuzard. He tried to give me another number to call. Not sure if maybe not open and they have the phone forwarded and there's someone with another number to reach at the moment.

I will try and get my French friend to call and get the details.

13 hours ago, doo4adoo said:

He said the trail Lepine Road down from Clova will be groomed in the next day or so, Never asked about gas but usually the place is open at the end with gas, sorry don't know the name but likely some one will say.

place is le Pensive.......friend of mine unloaded there on new year day......he told me Lépine road is plowed by the loggers all the way up to Wapus lodge this winter which is about at km 100 but there is a shoulder for snowmobilers (half of the road width) he said. Pensive relay is located at km 57.

8 minutes ago, doubler said:

You have to take your boots off to enter Balbuzard?  Not sure I agree with walking around in socks at a public inn and restaurant.  Can someone please explain?  I haven't been there since 2006 but was planning on staying there one night this year.

once you're inside......3 years ago when we stopped by, went to pay for gas inside. I was told to take my boots off. No joke!

Been there a few times. They have clogs slippers to put on. It is a pain if you are only buying gas but we always had lunch of some kind. Kinda neat in my opinion.  

Oh yes .  It always amazed me how good for the eyes the bar tenders were. It is really a amazing place to stay. One owner the wife ran the place in the winter and her husband ran it in the summer.  I think they were from France.  Really nice hosts. 

2 hours ago, doubler said:

You have to take your boots off to enter Balbuzard?  Not sure I agree with walking around in socks at a public inn and restaurant.  Can someone please explain?  I haven't been there since 2006 but was planning on staying there one night this year.

Lac Truite also !!  they have a nice setup in basement to dry boots clothes etc.

1 hour ago, doubler said:

Interesting, but considering my feet always sweat, I'm thinking the concept is kind of nasty.  If you stay overnight and bring a pair of sneakers are you allowed to wear them?

Pavillion Beauregard also prefer you take your boots off. They offer crochet slippers but don't scold you for not taking your boots off like we got at Balbuzard. As we were unaware of the policy.

Edited by doonali

2 hours ago, doubler said:

2006 may have been before the fire that burnt it down...maybe some one can confirm that?

I think it is all new now, rebuilt and relocated.

To my knowledge it never burnt down. Where the fire stopped was very close and at the time the staff said they all jumped in a boat thinking it was going to and suddenly wind changed and it was saved but clear to see where it stopped when you're there.

Haven't been the past 2 winters but I understand its owners from Val D'or now.

2 hours ago, doo4adoo said:

To my knowledge it never burnt down. Where the fire stopped was very close and at the time the staff said they all jumped in a boat thinking it was going to and suddenly wind changed and it was saved but clear to see where it stopped when you're there.

Haven't been the past 2 winters but I understand its owners from Val D'or now.

No never burnt down, fire wicked close but they were spared. Years ago the other place past Lac Fallon was lost to a forest fire. Was Forsythe. Just the stone fireplace was left. Florida Snowman loved that place right Tom?

Edited by iceman