11 day trip report

Andyman

Here is a report on our ride from Bathurst NB to 100 lacs outfitter for the Quebec rider winter gathering. On the ride were MUBS smclelan Ron and myself.The first thing I will mention are the temps as it was very cold as low as minus 40 with no windchill you do the math at 100km/hr on your sled. It was a challenge to keep our sleds running and to protect ourselves from the cold.

The trip started on Jan 16th at minus 30. We had truck and sled problems before we even left on our journey. Once we got the first batch of germlins sorted out we hit the trail form the Host in Bathurst to Island Lake. I normally don't like to take a lot of breaks on the trail but on this day I was very happy to see the Island Lake complex and a warm meal. We continued on to Campbellton and crossed the river and ran into NB Renegade putting stakes up. We stopped and had a chat and then rode to the Inter provincial motel and stopped for the night. One funny thing happened today as I found a cell phone on the trail and I stopped and picked it up. When we got in the hotel I put it on the heater to thaw and as soon it did the rings started. A very relieved young man was soon re-united with his phone.

Morning brought another very cold day and after another round of how do we get all the sleds running we headed for the famous stretch of the TQ5 that our one and only Groomer cares for with the devotion that only Groomer can. As usual we found more superb trails and no traffic. We stopped in Albertville for a coffee and a chat with Groomer. Over coffee I said hey Groomer how cold is it this morning and he grinned and told me that it was minus 40 in town but at his friends house it was minus 48! No wonder it seemed cold! After coffee we headed up the 5 to Amqui and then west on the Rt587/579/548 to Cabano. We stayed at the Royal Motel in Cabano. The owners name is Tony and he went out of his way to help us when we had sled problems in the am. I would recommend the Royal to any riders as it is very sled friendly and great owners and is right on the trail with gas and drinks and food and a very cute waitress.

The morning of the 18th found us on our way toward Quebec city on the TQ35. A quick stop at Relais 540 found our old friend Andre alive and well pumping gas as usual. Andre tells me he has been very busy with his snow tracker ski runner business and has not had time to do any posts. As we approached Quebec city the snow was pounding down and the visibility was getting quite poor especially in the big fields. It was in one of these fields that Steven showed us his impression of a snow cross racer jump. Believe me he didn't land like they do on TV! We stayed the night at the Hotel Berniere.

Next morning we caught the 7am shuttle and were on our sleds on the north side in very short order. We found a very helpful lady at morning coffee and she gave us directions to the nearest Yammie dealer in St Casmir. I thought that our lone Yammie man should invest in a inline heater so we can get started a bit earlier than we had been. The dealer was great and was more than happy to take Rons money in exchange for a new heater and carbides and bibs were on sale so we took a pair as well. Ended the day at Real Masse in St Zenon. Super new heated garage and excellent food!

Today the Yammie started well it was about 25 celsius in the garage! LOL Off we headed for 100Lacs via 63 through the park what a beautiful trail! Then up 319 to Meekos and Beauregard. Stopped to see Julie at Beauregard for a bowl of soup then up the trail to 100 Lacs. When we arrived we found Timbo and company in full happy hour mode. They told us they started with 7 but had lost 3 due to mechanical and a trail mishap.

21st rode a loop down to JB Scott and up TQ13 to fer a Cheval for lunch and back to 100 Lacs. Ran into many old friends including some from Ontario whom I had no idea were in the area. The 100 Lacs staff put on superb meals and a evening of fun was had by all.

After a hot breakfast we parted company and my foursome headed for Repos and Casey then on to Relais 22. We had a great evening with the staff at R22 and Mubs showed everyone his pool playing skills.

23rd we rode to Alma and then over to the HI in Jonquiere to see our old friend Saguenay Bill. The snow conditions near Hebertville-Alma were the lowest of the entire trip passable but not great.

The morning of the 24th we visited the cave and rode through Mont Valin and took the short cut to Les Escoumins. We stayed at the Pelchat and ended this day with 190 miles on super trails.

Up early and headed to Baie Comeau. Stopped at the relais by Forestville for one of the best breakfast I have ever had on the trail. Visited the relais west of Baie Comeau as we had lots of time and it was great to get warmed up as the temps were minus 30 again. The ferry departed at 6:30 for the 2hr 20 min crossing that turned into 13hr 5min! We got stuck in the ice and we all thought it was fun at first but it got very boring real fast. Managed about 1 hr sleep all night on the floor.

Went to the Quality inn to see if they would let us out of our rooms and they had canceled them for us already. We appreciated this as we felt crappy enough already. We changed clothes and after breakfast hit the trails back to the host.

Ended the trip with 3500 km for a total of 14000km on the 4 sleds with no major mechanical or accidents/incidents. I purposely did not mention the trail conditions very much as this trip started on the 16th and would have no relevance now but I will say that for 95% of the time we rode on 9.5/10 beautiful trails that basically were our private trails. We saw very few sleds and this worries me because if we do not ride then there will not be any trails. The outfitters are empty and they need our business to survive. Get out there and ride guys!!

Andy

TQ85

Neat sled hauler

Real Masse

heated garage Real masse

Near JB Scott

Our Group

Tq 63

Testing the snow depth

Fer a Cheval Lake shot

Fluffy checking out the snow

group shot

Rev Parts?

Cave near Mont valin

Near Baie Comeau

Stuck again!

Thanks for sharing Andy.Always a pleasure to read your trips reports.I missed you guys by 2 days.Stayed at 100 cents on friday january 23rd.Had some almond wallye that night.I must say that TQ 33 has been rerouted between Beauregard and 100 lacs. Not 50 kms but 125 kms from Beauregard to cents lacs

Sounds like a great trip, asides from the ferry incident. I was planning on going around Gaspe for the first time, leaving Thursday morning, but my sled is acting up, so I guess that trip will have to be postponed. Where exactly is the cave? If we have to shorten our trip and do a Mont Vallin run instead, I sure would love to see the cave and do the Escoumins loop in the same day.

Sounds like a great trip, asides from the ferry incident. I was planning on going around Gaspe for the first time, leaving Thursday morning, but my sled is acting up, so I guess that trip will have to be postponed. Where exactly is the cave? If we have to shorten our trip and do a Mont Vallin run instead, I sure would love to see the cave and do the Escoumins loop in the same day.

Do you have a GPS? If not I will try to give you directions.

Andy

Andy man ,Looks like Ron had a few more problems with some of those sweeping quebec corners.What did you think of the trail north of repos?Did you find the short cut to windago?

When Ron had this mishap he wanted me to help him get out! I thought sure no problem just give me a minute to capture it on film!!! The trail north of Repos was great. It was plowed into Lake Chateauvert but only for 1 more week. The trail to Windigo is not open and the snow was much too deep to attempt without a track and the trail toward Casey was groomed table top.

Andy

Great report...Trail North of Repos left something to be desired, was there last week... W T F ???

We passed that burnt up sled... :(

Plowing stops in a week.

Andy